Author Topic: Defontes - u,u,d,d,l,r,l,r,a,b,select,start  (Read 20582 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Defontes - u,u,d,d,l,r,l,r,a,b,select,start
« on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 10:03:30 PM »
Best song name ever.  I guess they have a new album coming out end of the month.  I was never like the biggest fan ever, but I really did enjoy their 2nd album, Around the Fur.  That album is just really good shit no matter how you look at it.  White Pony was fairly creative for a band with less in the way of technical talent, so that was all right despite a few songs I didn't dig much.  The forth album was ass.  I just couldn't get into it at all.  Now they have a new one -- Saturday Night Wrist.  I've listened to a couple songs and they are most certainly continuing to move away from metal, but at least one of the couple songs I've heard was actually somewhat enjoyable to listen to.  So yeah, I don't know that I'm going to ever be into them at all again, but... at least they have the best song name ever.

Although... now that I look at it, that doesn't seem right.  Wasn't it up up down down left right left right b a start?  Eh.  Maybe there were a couple.  The one I'm remembering was from Contra.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Defontes - u,u,d,d,l,r,l,r,a,b,select,start
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 10:13:38 PM »
The select variation is if you wanted to play 2 player on any of the Konami games that used the code, Contra is one of the more well known ones.  Your version is the actual "correct" version, but will only work for one player. 

I've kinda liked some of Deftones stuff, but only a small amount of it, Around the Fur is one of their better albums, I might give this a listen to though.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 05:10:06 AM »
Que is right, they have a and b backwards.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 06:31:29 AM »
I've had the album for a week or so now.  I'm not a huge deftones guy, but I've liked some of their stuff in the past.  This is definitely different stuff, some good some bad.  "Pink Cellphone" is the worst deftones song I've ever heard, whereas I'm liking "Hole in the Earth."

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 12:22:18 PM »
Que is right, they have a and b backwards.

Haha I completely missed that, I'm just so used to having to tell people what I mentioned about the select button because I own a shirt with the code on it but without the select button and sometimes I'll get a person saying that my shirt is wrong.

Offline joeactually

• Rookie
  • Life sucks. That's your lesson. Go enjoy it.
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 04:29:22 PM »
There is a band called The Gothsicles who did a song called "The Konami Code."  The only lyric is:

up up
down down
left right
left right
b
a
select
start

It's some dance music with that overtop.  It's actually quite catchy.  I will post if I manage to find it.  It was from songfight from like 5 years ago
YOU'RE WELCOME!

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 09:11:22 PM »
The Ataris had a song by the same name.... but they kinda suck.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 09:42:23 PM »
I've listened to the album a bit at work, and I find that I actually quite like it.  Certainly isn't "classic" Deftones (if there is such a thing), but it's really pretty enjoyable.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #8 on: Monday, November 06, 2006, 07:30:38 PM »
I love "rapture."

What are some other good ones?  I don't have the patience to sit through a shitty song.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Monday, November 06, 2006, 07:48:52 PM »
From this album or in general?  I like the first four songs from this one, if memory serves (been a few days, and since I have an MP3/CD player, I don't get song titles, heh.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #10 on: Monday, November 06, 2006, 09:47:24 PM »
Ah yeah, I was talking about this album.  I'm familiar with the deftones' old stuff.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 06:12:13 PM »
Posting again isn't really necessary, but damn I can't stop listening "rapture" from this album.  I love that song.

Upon listening to it even more, though, I've decided that I really like this album.  There are a bunch of songs on here that I'm really liking.  Even u,u,d,d,l,r,l,r,a,b,select,start is awesome for an instrumental. 

I think I could go as far to say I like the entire CD, save Pink Cellphone, which is still the stupidest fucking Deftones song I've ever heard.  The last minute of the song is disgusting.

"Hole in the Earth," "Rapture," "Beware," "Cherry Waves," and "The Earth" are my favorites.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 07:01:41 PM »
Yeah, it really isn't bad.  I don't know that I love it enough to run out and pick it up, but it's a big improvement over the last venture.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #13 on: Friday, November 24, 2006, 02:06:41 AM »
I got a "hold" of it. I would listen to it except Im freaking stuck on the first track, Hole in the Earth, its beautiful.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #14 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 11:46:41 PM »
Alright so I actually bought it. I must say that I am pretty impressed with what they did with this one. Its like what White Pony was trying to be except this one comes off with much better focus. Though Im sure they split their fanbase a while ago after Around the Fur since its a much different animal than this. Its mellow but it does it so right and just makes my mood so pleasing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 11:58:50 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it.  It's good stuff.  Different, but good.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, November 30, 2006, 07:59:26 PM »
just got it. three songs in at the moment, and so far it's completely kick ass.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, December 03, 2006, 03:00:53 PM »
I like the Deftones, but I've never been a devoted fan. After listening to this CD I have to say its not very good, its not bad either...just mediocre.