Author Topic: Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes  (Read 707 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
« on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 10:59:54 PM »
Warning: Other than the name and general world, this is nothing like the usual Might and Magic games.

Clash of Heroes is actually a puzzle/RPG for the DS, and its been getting some good reviews. Its a match 3 game, but not like Bejeweled/Puzzle Quest. Theres some more interesting moves and strategy involved.

Top screen is the enemy troops and bottom screen are yours. They meet in the middle to battle (ie, your pieces "fall up"). At the extreme ends of the battlefield are yours and the enemies health bars. Your goal is to get a clear shot to hit the health bar, or at least a powerful shot that will go through the enemy troops and still inflict damage to the enemy.

Place 3 pieces in a column and you create an attack. The attacks have a waiting period before they go off, from 1 to several turns. There are special rules for linking attacks so they cause more damage and such. Placing 3 pieces in a row causes a defensive wall to form. You play the game in a manner similar to Magical Drop, moving units around to make these combos that set up attacks and defenses.

As you play you get new kinds of units and each one has their own abilities. You cant take all of them into battle so you have to pick and choose what you want. Plus there are Elite units that you have to pay for but they are really strong.

And they wrapped the whole thing up in this RPG-ish setting. You go around, getting into puzzle strategy fights, and save the world or some crap. Plus you get artifacts like magic rings and stuff to wear that can help you out.

Overall pretty cool games. And it will apparently be $20 at Best Buy starting Sunday. Worth checking out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 11:12:24 PM »
I ill-advisedly snagged this as well, and I have to say I'm super impressed.  Even though it's got puzzle-game gameplay to some extent, there's a fair amount of strategy and tactics you can employ, which is impressive.  The music is also fantastic, as is the super-detailed pixel art.  This is a really hard package not to like if the concept appeals to you at all.  It's supposed to have a pretty fair breadth of content for a DS game (I believe the IGN review guy said he was at 45 hours and still hadn't quite polished off every last little hidden nook and cranny, and was about 30 hours for main quest and side quests).

There are I think 5 different factions and there's single and multi-card multiplayer as well (though no internet play, sadly).  Press reviews have been positive, and player opinion seems really high on this one.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野