Author Topic: PSN must haves  (Read 965 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
PSN must haves
« on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 09:44:14 AM »
So I just loaded some money into my PSN account. Any games I should be looking at first? I am probably going to go for Braid for sure.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: PSN must haves
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 09:47:42 AM »
I'd rather look for Braid on say Impulse.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 09:58:39 AM »
My favorite game I got over PSN is WipeoutHD. Its Wipeout in 1080p and its awesome if youre into Wipeout.

I also recommend Fat Princess. Its not a big game or something that will take you a long time to get the hang of. It is, however, a game that is tons of fun in short bursts when you're bored of the standard stuff.

Also, stay away from Pain and Noby Noby Boy. Those two are awful.

The other two games I have for PSN are Trash Panic, and Shatter. They're pretty alright.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 11:17:46 AM »
You're stupid, Noby Noby Boy boy is an amazing exercise in... something.  I'm just still not entirely sure what.  NOBY NOBY NOBY.  It isn't really a game so much as a toy.  Think Katamari Damacy but far more random and with no real end goal.  It's just something to play around with.  We had tons of fun with it at the OWmeet.  Pain strikes me as awful, though, yes.  I never tried it.

Worth getting:

Flower
Everyday Shooter
The Last Guy
PixelJunk Eden
Noby Noby Boy
Wipeout HD
flOw

Zombie Apocalypse is worth considering too if you're into Crimsonland-style gameplay.  I haven't tried Fat Princess yet, though I've heard nothing but good things and will probably grab it sooner or later.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »
Wow I just love the PS3. Little Big Planet came in the mail and it is cute and awesome, and a very unique experience so far. My mother came into the room and played for a while as well. :P

So wow, those are lots of recommendations.

Flower is definitely something I thought looked very interesting. And I've heard of Wipeout, PixelJunk, and Noby Noby... not sure which two or three to get first.

Hey is there anything on the PSN network you guys would recommend for my mother. She is really into stuff like Peggle, Bejeweled etc. When I was a kid she would play a lot of Pacman, Donkey Kong etc.

If there are any modern day games on PSN that have very simple controls, I'd appreciate it.

I think she may enjoy Flower though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 11:42:45 AM »
I haven't really tried anything like that on PSN since I'm not really all that into that stuff unless it's portable.  Lumines has a downloadable HD version over PSN, which is sort of a Tetris-style game with a heavy emphasis on music as far as its style goes, if you've never played it.  It's quite addictive.  I forgot to mention that in my list since I still generally think of the PSP version when I think of it, heh.  I think there are actually a couple of LocoRoco games on PSN, too, though I haven't looked into them yet.  I still haven't beaten the first one.

There are lots of little puzzle games and stuff, though.  Look around, I'm sure you'll find something suitable for her.  I've seen a number of them that looked interesting over the last year or so, just never anything I was inclined to pick up since I tend to prefer those things on portable platforms.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 11:56:30 AM »
Flower was quite a unique experience.  It was on sale for $4.99 last week... the sale is over now though and it's back to $9.99.

WipEout HD is really good as well, but it's also extremely challenging.  Still, it's definitely worth playing.

I'm thinking about picking up Shatter and Trine.  There are also a lot of classic PS games that are coming out out as well like MGS, and FFVII that are out on PSN.  I've picked up FFVII.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »
I forgot about Trine.  Quite a fun game, though I picked it up via Impulse.

And I still say I would have paid $20 for Flower.  That was an amazing experience for me that I can't see being paralleled any time soon.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »
You're stupid, Noby Noby Boy boy is an amazing exercise in... something.  I'm just still not entirely sure what.  NOBY NOBY NOBY.  It isn't really a game so much as a toy.  Think Katamari Damacy but far more random and with no real end goal.  It's just something to play around with.  We had tons of fun with it at the OWmeet.  Pain strikes me as awful, though, yes.  I never tried it.

No, you is the stupid. I had katamari for ps2. It was awesome because it was new and cool and fun and just weird enough to be funny. This is all the weird, with none of the fun.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 01:29:22 PM »
Oh, it's weird as hell.  Potentially the weirdest game I've ever played.  Maybe it isn't even worth the price to some due to how weird it is and the fact that it isn't really a game in the strictest sense of the word.  But not fun?  That's crazy talk.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 01:33:03 PM »
You could also look into Critter Crunch. It supposed to be pretty cool, and is puzzley. Its got a demo.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 02:03:44 PM »
Just played 30 minutes of Flower. What an experience.

I will definitely look into Lumines!