Author Topic: 3 Weeks after Black Friday  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Schlotzky5

3 Weeks after Black Friday
« on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 10:50:46 AM »
On Black Friday I bought three games: Borderlands, Mirrors Edge and Flower.

My favorite by far is Mirrors Edge. This game is awesome. I should have bought it when it came out. I had the demo and It was cool, but since it got ho-hum reviews I didn't get it. The style in this game is one of the best out there. The colors are so fantastic and its the total experience of the Equilibrium story/setting highlighted with bright colors. The gameplay is crazy fun and new. I had fun through the whole thing. Yeah, the gunfights were annoying at first like everybody said, but once you think of them like puzzles instead of FPS segments they become easier and more fun. Totally worth the 5 bucks I spent on it.

Second is Borderlands. Solid game. I don't see it being crazy innovative like a lot of other people are saying, but its fun. I like it because it makes me want to play a little longer since you know the next random drop could be that awesome weapon. The game also has plenty of annoyances, but whatever nobody's perfect. I'm gonna get my 20 bucks worth out of it.

Last Place is Flower. Its cool I guess. The visuals are really good and I love just flying around, but I don't really like the controls. Right as I start relaxing and letting the flow of the game take over, a sharp turn comes up and I end up over/under turning and missing a bunch of flowers which frustrates me. Its just not the game I am ever bored and think 'damn, I could go for me some flower.' I'll probably get my 5 bucks worth out of it eventually.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: 3 Weeks after Black Friday
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »
Too funny.  I'm exactly the opposite.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »
I liked Mirror's Edge's concept, but in execution, it stumbles quite a bit.  For a game that's so focused on speed and free flow movement, you will literally hit brick walls in the game just trying to figure out where to go sometimes.  I found combat to also be a pain in the ass.  And after completing the story, the time trials really weren't as fun as I thought it would be.

I like Flower, more as an experience than a game though.

Oh, I picked up Prince of Persia (2008) and Dragon Age Origins on Black Friday (I was really surprised Canada decided to do some Black Friday deals... first time ever I believe).  PoP2008 is a good game in all respects, but it also leaves a lot to be desired.  The combat system is actually quite deep, but there is no need to explore it at all, and the small combat arenas and one enemy at a time makes combat a breeze.  Platforming is fun, but so automated that it does get kind of boring after a while.  In addition, the game is artificially lengthened by asking you to backtrack and collect lightseeds.  I ended up completing the story in 8.5 hours, and then going back and completing everything (including platinum trophy), which took an extra 5 hours.  And the DLC Epilogue is still too overpriced to justify the purchase.  I got the full game for $14.99 and the DLC is still $9.99.  I'll wait for it to come down in price before considering it.  In the end, I like the game, but it's a forgettable experience.

I'm finishing God of War Collection (at the very end of GoW2 now) so I'll be able to start DAO in the coming days.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 02:34:27 PM »
I'll take Borderlands over Mirror's Edge.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 04:35:30 PM »
Yeah I like Flower but I find the exact same thing frustrating (and thus not relaxing)