Author Topic: District 9  (Read 6317 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
District 9
« on: Friday, August 14, 2009, 03:28:19 PM »
So, the trailer for this movie looks real kick-ass -- which has been all over the TV, these past numerous weeks and all. And the reviews been pretty good, so it seems.

It has a pretty good score going so far on Metacritic, as well.

So, has anyone seen it yet? Or plan to see it anytime soon?

Offline PyroMenace

Re: District 9
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 14, 2009, 10:28:51 PM »
Belmont and I saw it opening night. It was good but it's not what I was expecting, it switches focus a number of times and I wasn't too happy with ending.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 02:45:40 PM »
Aimee and I saw it and thought it was really good.

It's interesting. Between this, Moon, and a few other things I feel like there has been a sort of movement lately to return to making actual sci-fi movies. Since the 90's, I feel like most science fiction was simply a label that action movies in space or with alien got while more traditional sci-fi movies really weren't being made. Now, it's almost like a bunch of cool movies or Twilight Zone concepts from the 70's are being made with modern technology or stylings. Personally, I like it and hope we get to see more of this type of thing done.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 04:08:34 PM »
I saw it today, as well. Yeah, it was good. Really good.

I really liked the whole documentary feel the flick had going on for a great deal of it -- especially early on, when the film was introducuing the main characters and the MNU corporation in the flick.

I noticed there were a good deal of nods to other bodies of work, as well.
(click to show/hide)

Ending
(click to show/hide)

Oh, the action sequences were awesome.

I'm thinking this film is going to make that main character a star. He was outstanding.

Really glad I went and saw this one in the theatres.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 06:25:40 PM »
Really? You think just because there was a robot/mech is was paying homage to a bunch of different things? It couldn't just be another iteration of something that's fairly common in anything involving advanced technology? The point is, I don't see how most of the stuff you mention is an homage to anything because those things hardly originated the ideas or are only barely similar. However, I will grant that there are a some visuals and ideas that seem to play directly to things in Half Life 2. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that cited as inspiration.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 08:23:21 PM »
The previews reminded me of Children of Men which reminded me Half-life 2.  It seems interesting, but I don't have that much interest in seeing it.  Mostly because I just don't really care about going to movies that often anymore.  The only thing I want to see is the new Studio Ghibli flick, but with the fucking English voice cast, I'll be waiting for DVD.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, August 16, 2009, 03:03:28 AM »
When I went with Belmont and pyro I thought the movie was really interesting.  I liked it for it's originality compared to most of the movies coming out these days.  It reminded me of Alien Nation just a lot more realistic to what humans would probably do.  instead of opening our arms to them we try to control them.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, August 16, 2009, 03:22:14 PM »
Really? You think just because there was a robot/mech is was paying homage to a bunch of different things? It couldn't just be another iteration of something that's fairly common in anything involving advanced technology? The point is, I don't see how most of the stuff you mention is an homage to anything because those things hardly originated the ideas or are only barely similar.
The sequences I cited reminded me of elements from certain games. Granted, sure -- it could've been originated from much older works and other things from other mediums and all (such as books, comics, and other films -- which I'm sure a lot of games got these elements from; a lot of things borrow from a lot of other things), but these ones kind of stuck in my mind -- probably b/c these games I mentioned are much, much more recent and fresh in my mind.

However, I will grant that there are a some visuals and ideas that seem to play directly to things in Half Life 2. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that cited as inspiration.
Also, the main character's look w/ the beard and all -- reminded me of Gordon Freeman. Of course, this dude in Section 9 actually has a personality, actually talks, and was on camera all the time. ;)

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 11:53:33 AM »
I saw it a few days ago and really enjoyed it and will watch it again when it's on DVD.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 05:05:24 PM »
Ren - probably.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 05:14:33 PM »
I hope not. I love it when something can be content with being a great self contained story and doesn't worry about completely explaining the story in both directions with less meaningful sequels/prequels.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 05:26:43 PM »
They basically came out and said they would make a sequel at certain stages of the movie. The way the story was unwound I think a sequel would work pretty well. There's enough content that a sequel wouldn't just be a rehash.

I'd be perfectly happy if they left it as is but if they do make a sequel they have a lot of material to make it a meaningful extension of the story. Since it seemed like it was the first film of the cast and the writer/director, I'd hope that the success of District 9 gives them enough control over the sequels to do it justice.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, September 09, 2009, 08:54:11 PM »
Saw this on the underground channel tonight.  I wasn't sure at first, but the movie only got better as it developed.  It had my complete attention.  On the whole, I loved it.  The main character (Wikus) has such a thick accent that I tracked down some subtitles and started watching it again.  I got halfway through, then got a phone call.  That's good enough for now.  Will catch the rest of the unmuddled replay tomorrow, if I get the chance.

I've mentioned before that I really appreciate authentic science fiction.  This one makes the grade.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, September 09, 2009, 08:56:37 PM »
Julia saw it and was apparently quite moved.  When I heard that it was a fairly emotionally difficult movie, I lost all urge to see it.  She still wants to take me, though.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 05:39:41 AM »
I just watched it. Wow.

It starts off pretty slow but around 20-25 minutes in I was completely sucked in. The rest of it was a riot!

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Friday, September 11, 2009, 05:56:34 AM »
I watched this yesterday and went to the IMDB boards afterwards, a lot of people seem to be complaining about the violence. Personally, I didn't think it was any more violent than any other R rated movie. Also, I liked that the movie was adult oriented. I hate when a movie has adult themes, but people talk and act like they're in a PG-13 movie, it takes me out of it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 07:42:53 PM »
Personally, I didn't think it was any more violent than any other R rated movie.
Agreed. It was violent and gory -- but, it's not worse than some of the most violent and vicious R-rated movies; such as the Saw series of flicks.

I just watched Crank 2 -- OMG, how did this movie NOT get a NC-17?

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 08:43:57 PM »
meh

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2009, 09:58:13 PM »
I had heard of this quite a bit but didn't know anything about it really except that a guy I know's brother directed it.  Just saw it and I was pretty impressed.  Aparently, he was signed to do the first Halo movie under Peter Jackson, but it never got off the ground.  That could have been pretty cool.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 09:19:05 PM »
Really? You know Neill Blomkamp's brother?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 06:46:34 AM »
Aparently, he was signed to do the first Halo movie under Peter Jackson, but it never got off the ground.  That could have been pretty cool.

Really? Now that's interesting.

I'm glad District 9 got made instead - awesome movie.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 11:08:35 PM »
Really? You know Neill Blomkamp's brother?

Yeah.  The family grew up in the same part of Vancouver as I did.  I don't remember Neill at all and he's only a few years older, but I think the family moved here after he was graduated from highschool so no idea if he actually ever lived with them here. His brother is actually 5 or so years younger than I am, but he's good friends with some of my friends' younger siblings and a bunch of guys I used to work with so we've partied a bit.  I don't know him well at all. There's also two sisters.  The older one isn't all that great looking but fucking sexy for some reason.  No recollection if I've ever tried to get down her pants, but I fucking should have.

Really? Now that's interesting.

I'm glad District 9 got made instead - awesome movie.

There are some clips on the internet of either a proof of concept or an ad that they turned the proof of concept into.  I watched them a year or so ago when someone (one of the previously mentioned friends of the brother) showed them to me.  They were actually really cool.  It wasn't so much cheesy science fiction as much as gritty shaky cam war movie footage if memory serves me right. Not a huge Halo fan but I'd see it for sure.

To be honest, I was hoping this would turn into more of a criticism of how much of a shitty shitty country South Africa still is, but I really liked it even though it didn't.  I'm not even one of those people who need there to be a message in movies...I just think the world needs more highlighting of why South Africa is a giant pile of shit.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 07:34:11 AM »
The entire continent is a pile of shit.  Its most salient modern contribution to the world is aids.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #23 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 08:08:51 AM »
As an Egyptian I am inclined to agree with Cobra. Although I will point out Ancient Egyptian glory :P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »
As usual, sweeping statements cut too wide a swath.  I was not thinking Egypt at all.  I was thinking the likes of Ethiopia, Liberia, Nigeria, Somalia, and of course South Africa.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #25 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 12:55:41 PM »
As usual, sweeping statements cut too wide a swath.  I was not thinking Egypt at all.  I was thinking the likes of Ethiopia, Liberia, Nigeria, Somalia, and of course South Africa.
Haha I know :P I just can't help to point out how bad it's getting in Egypt as well. The further south you go in the continent the worse it gets. I sometimes find it hard to believe that rampant crime is the daily norm in some of those countries.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 11:04:04 PM »
This thread just got awesome.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 10:40:01 PM »
I finally saw District 9 and I would express the same sentiments as everyone else did here already.  It was a damn good sci-fi movie.  Even Jennie really liked it and she's more of a chick-flick or female-heroine-kicks-ass fan.  We both found it to be an emotionally heavy tale and just a very sad story overall.  I mean by the end you really feel for the main character and the aliens.

I'm not sure about a sequel.  I mean sure, they set it up for one but I don't think a sequel would bear any resemblance to the first or be as good.  I think I'd personally prefer it to remain a one-off, but hey maybe they'll pleasantly surprise me.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #28 on: Sunday, January 17, 2010, 09:36:28 PM »
Saw it today. Very good.

It reminded me of ghosts of cite solei and city of god.

...and HL2...