Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 217829 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Fallout 3
« on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 06:41:07 AM »
NEW - 2-10-2012:
RIP, Adam Adamowicz - one of the Main Concept Artists on FO3. Info, documentary, art, and all kinds of info other stuff HERE.

OLD:
PCG -> PC Gamer's 10 Essential FO3 Mods.
Emil Pagliarulo of BethSoft, who worked on Thief 2 and the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion is the lead designer behind FO3:
http://www.duckandcover.cx/#9089

Fallout 3 Lead Designer revealed    [ Game -> Update ]
Posted by Mr. Teatime | Related News Items    Sat 28 Oct 2006, 7:24 PM

News related to Top Story: First News on Fallout 3 | More info on Game: Fallout 3 | More info on Person: Emil Pagliarulo

Emil Pagliarulo from Bethesda has been braving our forums recently and mentioned some info that I haven't heard before:

Anyway, I've been the lead designer on Fallout 3 for quite some time now. It's not exactly the type of offer you turn down, you know? And no, I really can't say anything about anything. But I just wanted to pop on and say hi.

For those who don't know, Emil was used to work at Looking Glass on the Thief games before moving to Bethesda about four years ago. If, like me, you're a fan of that series, you'll know that they pretty much nailed stealth and the games are all classics, even the consolised third one. He's also a fellow beard-wearer and that gets my approval.

So there you go. Fallout 3's Lead Designer, HAI2U!

EDIT by Que - Hijacking your original post, MyD.  Oh noes!

Version 2 of the Classic Music Mod is now up.  You can grab it from Fallout 3 Nexus or FileFront.  It'd be nice if you left me some comments/vote, since a bunch of other music mods are out there that more or less slap a bunch of music into the game without trying to make sure it's truly appropriate.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 10, 2012, 03:46:59 PM by MysterD »

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
Re: Fallout 3 (by BethSoft) Thread
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 12:33:10 AM »
that is awesome news

the dark brotherhood quests were freakin saweeeet

plus the loot kicked major ass... the horse especially.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 02:45:18 AM »
I think Ender will be really excited about Fallout 3 news :D

Yeah, the Dark Brotherhood quest line in Oblivion was awesome. It wasn't just generic "we are evil so we kill" there was some good reasoning in there, and the plot was pretty cool!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 12, 2007, 05:07:47 PM »
BethSoft is GOING ALL OUT.
Almost $6 million worth.

They had the license for the SP, while Interplay had it for MMO.

But, now it goes beyond that.

BethSofts OWNS THE ENTIRE THING -- yep, including MMO side of things.

So, this means Interplay, if they want to continue to do that Fallout MMO still, they will have to get the license from BethSoft to do it...

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 12, 2007, 05:34:22 PM »
The Dark Brotherhood had the best quests in all of Oblivion; they were the most varied and definitely the most unique.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 12, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »
Yeah, that guy deserved some recognition.  Glad they gave him a promotion.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, April 12, 2007, 11:24:21 PM »
haha wow... That's pretty cool. I've actually not done any dark brotherhood quests. Unlike some people I think murder is wrong.

YOU EVIL BASTAAAARDS!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 01:48:39 PM »
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 19, 2007, 01:44:10 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fallout 3 (by BethSoft) Thread -- UPDATE: BethSoft opens OFFICIAL Fallout fo
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 22, 2007, 07:02:52 PM »
More info on who at BestSoft is working on FO3

Quote from: Kathode
Hayt is a designer who works under Emil.

As for me, the various production titles here can get confusing, so let me explain. Todd Howard is the Executive Producer. For all intents and purposes, he is the studio and project director, and has ultimate say over everything we do. We have a very open and collaborative atmosphere here, and Todd is always open to debate and revision, but at the end of the day, to borrow a phrase from Bush, he is the "decider" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Ashley is our studio Production Director. His job is to coordinate all the production efforts of our internal development across all the various projects we're working on. This includes everything from the big ticket games, to smaller stuff like Oblivion downloadable content, localization issues, and making sure other cross-project people (QA for instance) know and respond to our needs. He manages how we distribute people's time across the projects, and also makes sure all projects conform to good standard methods of scheduling and tracking.

I'm the Lead Producer on Fallout, meaning I'm the main production guy who is 100% focused solely on this project. I'm responsible for maintaining our overall schedule, setting up and communicating milestones, making sure everyone has the tools, equipment, and info they need to do their jobs, and hounding people to get stuff done on time. I've been on the project since the day we started working on it, and pretty much the day we went gold on Oblivion, I switched over to focusing completely on Fallout. I'm aided by an awesome team of four department producers who focus on either programmers, artists, or designers. Hope this helps clear it up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Fallout 3 (by BethSoft) Thread -- UPDATE: BethSoft opens OFFICIAL Fallout fo
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 07:31:37 AM »
http://pc.ign.com/articles/786/786314p1.html

Liam Neeson in Fallout 3
Fallout role written with Neeson in mind.
by Rob Burman, IGN UK

UK, May 8, 2007 - Bethesda Softworks has revealed that world-famous actor Liam Neeson has signed up for a major role in Fallout 3 and will appear prominently throughout the entire game.

Speaking about his role in the upcoming post-apocalyptic title, Neeson said: "It's been a pleasure bringing the father to life and working with the wonderfully talented people at Bethesda on Fallout 3. I hope the fans of the franchise and the game will be excited by the results."

Todd Howard, executive producer of Fallout 3 said the role of the father was written with Neeson in mind and he "provides a dramatic tone for the entire game". He also added that Liam is "absolutely amazing to work with".

Bethesda has a strong history of signing famous actors for its games. Both Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean provided voices for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 01:41:14 PM »
Oh, fuck yeah!!!

Now, check this new screenie out for FO3, which looks like a destroyed Wash DC.
Looks like the rumor might be true, that FO3 will likely take place on the East Coast.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 02:14:31 PM by MysterD »

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Fallout 3 (by BethSoft) Thread -- UPDATE: BethSoft opens OFFICIAL Fallout forums
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, May 10, 2007, 10:30:43 PM »
So far so good. Can't wait for the teaser. Those art shots are awesome, I wish they were big enough to be my desktop.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Fallout 3 (by BethSoft) Thread -- UPDATE: BethSoft opens OFFICIAL Fallout forums
« Reply #13 on: Friday, May 11, 2007, 12:37:18 AM »
That is concept art for sure...

Offline ender

« Reply #14 on: Friday, May 11, 2007, 02:55:13 PM »
I am super excited. I know Bethesda will do it right. Hell, maybe even better (than 2, at least).

One thing I am wondering about... when did Duck and Cover start back up... and why didn't those bastard invite me back to keep doing their news? Not like I have time. I just never heard about it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Fallout 3 (by BethSoft) Thread -- UPDATE: TRAILER released
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, June 05, 2007, 06:03:20 PM »
Damn, the ending of it was awesome, gave me chills. Can't wait.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, June 05, 2007, 06:26:58 PM »
Well hell. It looks like it's actually happening. Freaking awesome.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, June 05, 2007, 06:57:52 PM »
Awesome.  This is happy gaming news indeed.  I was pretty pleased to see Bethesda get it, and a little teaser just makes me even happier.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, June 05, 2007, 08:03:41 PM »
Now, this is the kind of game that would make more sense to be a Vista exclusive than some of the past choices....

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, June 05, 2007, 08:30:22 PM »
Yeah... let's hope it's not.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, June 05, 2007, 09:13:45 PM »
Honestly, making some Vista exclusive doesn't even seem like a smart move for people at this point.  I don't think it's really taken off all that much yet.  I imagine a lot of games will be going the route where you can play on XP or Vista with 9 or 10 and just sacrifice a little quality or whatever.  That's just a guess, but I think I know Bethesda well enough to say it won't be Vista exclusive.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 02:54:52 AM »
It NOT going to happen. Let us never speak of this again... EVER!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 06:21:23 AM »
Now, this is the kind of game that would make more sense to be a Vista exclusive than some of the past choices....

No it doesn't.

Perhaps from M$'s point of view, but not from Beth's POV.

Offline wizall

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 12:36:39 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6172096.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

Confirmed for the 360 and PS3.  That's good news...for me at least.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 12:55:43 PM »
Game Informer posted the cover for its July issue, which confirms that Fallout 3 will indeed arrive on the PC, PS3, and 360 in 2008. Sources close to Bethesda said the information on the GI cover was accurate, but would not go into further details.

The GI cover also added ammo to the theory that Fallout 3 would be a major departure from previous PC Fallouts and the widely despised console spin-off, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. The magazine claims that Bethesda's goal has been to "reinvent" the RPG, which was originally a top-down turn-based title, into an all-new "open-ended RPG." Both Fallout and Fallout 2 offered open-ended gameplay with many side quests inside a larger, linear storyline--as did Oblivion.

This is fucking shit. Where have I smelled this crap before? Oh yea, Deus Ex 2.

Oh and reinvent sounds like, we can't design anything other than what we are used to.

Fallout is a top-down turn based RPG, nothing like Oblivion.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 01:42:43 PM »
Honestly, making some Vista exclusive doesn't even seem like a smart move for people at this point.  I don't think it's really taken off all that much yet.
Okay, I wasn't clear enuff, I guess. My fault. I thought I was implying a lot by how I worded what I said, but looks like by the replies I didn't word it good enuff so it could be implied better. So, let me make it explicit.

What I meant is that it would make more sense to have Fallout 3 as a Vista exclusive for Microsoft, as opposed to Halo 2 or Shadowrun ("past choices"). Maybe I just wasn't too clear and explicit, when I said what I said. So, let that be clear now.

I am totally against games being Vista exclusive right now. It's way too early in Vista's lifetime, if you ask me. Hell, in the last year or 2, we finally began to see games ONLY support Win XP. Okay, so let that be clear now then, too.

I imagine a lot of games will be going the route where you can play on XP or Vista with 9 or 10 and just sacrifice a little quality or whatever.  That's just a guess, but I think I know Bethesda well enough to say it won't be Vista exclusive.
That's great for me! :)
I'm all for that.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6172096.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

Confirmed for the 360 and PS3.  That's good news...for me at least.
Okay, they should do a FO3: Collector's Ed, in which that'll bring FO 1 and 2 over for those systems.

Game Informer posted the cover for its July issue, which confirms that Fallout 3 will indeed arrive on the PC, PS3, and 360 in 2008. Sources close to Bethesda said the information on the GI cover was accurate, but would not go into further details.

The GI cover also added ammo to the theory that Fallout 3 would be a major departure from previous PC Fallouts and the widely despised console spin-off, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. The magazine claims that Bethesda's goal has been to "reinvent" the RPG, which was originally a top-down turn-based title, into an all-new "open-ended RPG."
And that makes Fallout 2 sound different from FO3 how....?
EXACTLY, it doesn't.

What they should've said was
"The magazine claims that Bethesda's goal has been to "reinvent" the RPG, which was originally a top-down turn-based title, into an all-new "not-top-down (view) real-time RPG."
The reason I say "not-top-down" b/c likely, if FO3 is to be like say Oblivion, the game will probably be a "1st person view/3rd person behind-the-character view real-time RPG."

(I say both viewpoint b/c you can switch on the fly b/t views in Oblivion w/ the press of a hotkey. I used both viewpoints often in Oblivion, as well....)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 01:48:09 PM »
Perspective doesn't matter for the game really. Top down RPGs like Fallout really just played like Morrowind and Oblivion (however, much tighter with more interesting things per square foot). The only real difference is the turned based combat, but that can easily be updated.

Tycho at Penny Arcade has a pretty commentary about this "departure" and I'm more or less in agreement with him. The isometric view and way combat was played out isn't what made Fallout. It was what you could do, where you went, what you saw, and the universe that made the game interesting and those are fairly independent of how the game is really played.

Where I have my reservations are in Bethsedia itself. While they can make an open game, I don't know if they can pull a mostly open but tight game together like Fallout was. This is to say nothing of their technical skills, which I also have little faith in. Problem is, I really don't know who else I would want to have the game other than Bioware.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 01:58:34 PM »
Perspective doesn't matter for the game really. Top down RPGs like Fallout really just played like Morrowind and Oblivion (however, much tighter with more interesting things per square foot). The only real difference is the turned based combat, but that can easily be updated.
Perspective won't matter to me, either.

Tycho at Penny Arcade has a pretty commentary about this "departure" and I'm more or less in agreement with him. The isometric view and way combat was played out isn't what made Fallout. It was what you could do, where you went, what you saw, and the universe that made the game interesting and those are fairly independent of how the game is really played.
AGREED 100%.

Where I have my reservations are in Bethsedia itself. While they can make an open game, I don't know if they can pull a mostly open but tight game together like Fallout was. This is to say nothing of their technical skills, which I also have little faith in.

Problem is, I really don't know who else I would want to have the game other than Bioware.
A bunch of the ex-Black Isle guys and ex-Troika guys (who worked on Fallout 1, FO2, and the defunct Fallout: Van Buren) are either at Obsidian or Bioware, so that opinions of yours makes a lot of sense to me.

On the other hand, I do think BethSoft can pull this off. Here's why I think this. Say they decide to make FO3 the size of one of their Elder Scrolls expansion packs -- like say Bloodmoon, Tribunal, or Shivering Isles. Those games are not huge in size of the landmass itself, but there is lots and lots of content w/in the size that is given. They are tight and have more than one way to finish their quests, namely. Those are a lot like what the past Fallouts had to offer, in that regard.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 06:44:48 PM »
I wouldn't want Bioware anywhere near Fallout 3.  I don't know why, but I feel like they'd just totally kill it.  I really can't give a reason.

I won't get into the "do Morrowind/Oblivion suck" conversation, because it's utterly pointless.  You either love it or you hate it, and most people love it.  That said, I don't think Bethesda is going to make Oblivion-Fallout.  I don't think that would even be possible really.  It works with a rich fantasy setting that revolves around deep fiction, but I don't think it would ever work around the more limited setting that Fallout is in.  Sure, there's tons to do with the setting, but just not in the same ways.  My guess is Fallout 3 isn't going to play anything like Oblivion at its core.  The term "reinvent" is really pretty vague, and who knows how much reinvention they even mean to take part in.  Really, it could even just be a poorly-termed way of saying they're working on a new Fallout and they're trying to hype it up a bit.  I can think of a billion developers that claimed they would reinvent the wheel but just ended up adding a spoke or two.

Granted, I haven't been following this that closely, but most of what I heard originally is that most of the people working on the project were all huge fans of Fallout in the first place, many of the team members were playing through the originals again during early development, and they didn't want to change everything that people loved about the games.  I'm not saying there's no reason to worry, as who knows what'll end up getting done in the end, but I wouldn't take a single statement like this as some kind of horrible portent.  We'll have to wait until they show us something of substance, period.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 07:32:15 PM »
I wouldn't want Bioware anywhere near Fallout 3.  I don't know why, but I feel like they'd just totally kill it.  I really can't give a reason.
I think Bioware's too busy w/ doing their own creative IP's to even want to touch someone else's.

I won't get into the "do Morrowind/Oblivion suck" conversation, because it's utterly pointless.  You either love it or you hate it, and most people love it.  That said, I don't think Bethesda is going to make Oblivion-Fallout.  I don't think that would even be possible really.  It works with a rich fantasy setting that revolves around deep fiction, but I don't think it would ever work around the more limited setting that Fallout is in.  Sure, there's tons to do with the setting, but just not in the same ways.  My guess is Fallout 3 isn't going to play anything like Oblivion at its core.  The term "reinvent" is really pretty vague, and who knows how much reinvention they even mean to take part in.  Really, it could even just be a poorly-termed way of saying they're working on a new Fallout and they're trying to hype it up a bit.  I can think of a billion developers that claimed they would reinvent the wheel but just ended up adding a spoke or two.

Granted, I haven't been following this that closely, but most of what I heard originally is that most of the people working on the project were all huge fans of Fallout in the first place, many of the team members were playing through the originals again during early development, and they didn't want to change everything that people loved about the games.  I'm not saying there's no reason to worry, as who knows what'll end up getting done in the end, but I wouldn't take a single statement like this as some kind of horrible portent.  We'll have to wait until they show us something of substance, period.
I think what some Fallout fans are questioning is the combat of FO3. Granted, we still have no clue what kind of control style BethSoft has planned for FO3.

Some Fallout fans want the combat to like past Fallout games -- the click and point style. Though, from what we know about Fallout: Van Buren itself from interviews and from the recently released tech-demo, many were expecting game to still be click and point style. Though, this time was being done in real-time. And for some, this seemed like an evolutionary step in the right direction.

I do think most people expect BethSoft's FO3 to play like most Elder Scrolls games -- with a 1st/3rd person direct control style of real-time based gameplay. Some feel this could be a radical change for the series, whether it's for better or worse.

Me, I'm curious if Fallout 3 will have multiple companions and stuff like the past FO's did -- especially since past Elder Scrolls games didn't go for having those kind of parties. FO games were always party-based and quite strategic -- I think that's why some might feel Bioware might be a company to do this instead of say BethSoft.

Regardless of what BethSoft plans, whether click-and-point style or direct-style, I'm looking forward to FO3.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 10:58:33 PM »
Yea while I probably overreacted, it has more to do with my mistrust of developers who make games for multiple platforms.

I really loved Oblivion, but I don't want to see a Fallout clone.

Also if they don't do a top down view, how are they going to manage party based strategic game play? Like Desslock said, you've to be able to kick a rat in the groin!!! :D

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 11:27:59 PM »
I'm not personally a huge fallout fan....mainly because I only played Fallout 2 for about 20 min.  I think I may try it again if it works under xp.

All that aside, would anyone here consider Bioware's recent RPGs to be all that 'open'?  I personally wouldn't at all.  You could blame it on 'consolization' but Starwars:KotOR is one of these offenders and was a PC game before a console game (although the xbox version was released first).  It just seems like a half-assed way of doing it "Will you kill him, or help him...in the end it doesn't really matter.  Oh, and there are three slightly different endings".  From my understanding, the fun in fallout was finding your own ways to solve all kinds of problems or something like that.  Actions had reactions and such.  Jade Empire and KotOR were more along the lines of you needed money to catch a boat/spaceship, and you have three different options on how to make it.  Like the boring parts of Shenmue without the cool Kung-fu shit.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 11:31:13 PM »
FO2 was good, but not as good as FO1

No Bioware's consolized RPGs aren't very open ended either. I am midway through Jade Empire and I am quite disappointed to be honest.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, June 07, 2007, 12:20:40 AM »
Yeah, I pretty much meant the same thing with the Bioware comment. They're really the only other western RPG makers out there right now making them the only real alternative, but I don't think I'd really want them doing the game. I liked KoTOR a lot, but since I feel they've become sorta stale or just not as good.

I don't mean to knock Beth too much. I really did like Oblivion a lot more than Morrowind; I just curious to see how it'll all come together.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, June 07, 2007, 12:36:42 AM »
I think we can all agree on that.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, June 07, 2007, 12:46:18 AM »
I think Bioware will be able to show their true colors with Dragon Age. They are still my favorite developers, but seem to have lost their touch. Even Black Isle, who are now known as Obsidian haven't crafted a gem of PS:T's quality.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #38 on: Friday, June 15, 2007, 03:34:43 PM »
Info on FO3

The first details on Bethesda's Fallout 3 have emerged from the latest issue of US Game Informer magazine.

The long-awaited sequel runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine, although Bethesda says it's reworked the third-person view because of negative feedback from its last role-player.

Fallout 3 kicks off with your birth and your mother's death in a vault hospital. This is where you get to create you character as your father (voiced by Liam Neeson) hands you over to the DNA analyser, before removing his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.
Cool.

According to Game Informer, the battle system in Fallout 3 is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). You'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real-time using first-person shooting, the article says, but V.A.T.S. lets you pause time and select a target at your leisure.

This works using action points, which when used up will leave you with only real-time fighting until they charge back up again. If you're not in to all-out killing, Bethesda says you'll also be able to play through the game by being stealthy, or even talking your way out of trouble.

Enemies can target you using the exact same targeting system, so you'll get injured in very specifics points on your body. In addition to this is a new health and radiation system, which lets you measure how radiated water and other consumables are before you use them.

Fans will be pleased to hear that the Karma system is making a return, and there are 9-12 possible endings based on your actions. If it's even half as good as Oblivion, this should turn out to be something very special indeed.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fallout 3 (by BethSoft) Thread -- UPDATE: Combat system revealed
« Reply #39 on: Friday, June 15, 2007, 04:47:24 PM »
Loads more info on FO3

Fallout 3 - Details Emerge
by Dhruin, 23:50:34

Well, with July's Game Informer reaching a few people, Fallout 3 details are starting to emerge.  Briosafreak's excellent Fallout 3 blog has picked up a post from a member of the NeoGAF forums that seems a good summary and most of the details are corroborated by short articles at CVG and Joystiq so let's run with that:

The article is based on an hour long demo GI was given. I’ll list the high points

- Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version sucked balls.

- Game starts with your birth and your mother’s death in a vault hospital. This is essentially the character customization part of the game. Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.

- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled “You’re Special” which allows you to choose you baseline stats for each of your 7 primary aptitudes. You’ll also get your first weapons and wrist computer (menu) as you get older and take tests to determine the initial layout of your skills and traits.

- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.

- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. “While you’ll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure”. Battle system still uses action points, but once you’ve used them up you’ll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy’s head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.

- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.

- Karma system returns[…]

-Yeah once you’re in the V.A.T.S. system every combat move you make uses AP. The amount of AP is based on your agility rating. So things like targeting specific areas etc use AP. Also things like distance etc factor into your hit % while you’re in the V.A.T.S. system.

At least that’s how it reads.[…]

-Yeah the article is chock full of screens, but I can’t post them =(

They have some really great environment shots, Some screens of the inside of Vault 101, and a really awesome shot of a first person encounter with a super mutant and another where the main character has a weapon called “The Fatman” which is a handheld nuclear catapult.

Think post apocalyptic oblivion and you’re right about there in terms of graphics.[…]

-It seems that outside of the VATS system everything is real time. The only time the game pauses is when you enter the VATS system and start using AP and issuing commands. The article doesn’t really say much more than that, but they do say that the game is geared more towards a role-playing turn based style as opposed to a twitch gaming style of play.

-It doesn’t say anything specifically about party members, but there’s a section that talks about how integral NPC’s are to the game, and that a lot of the progress in the game will be made via quests.

EDIT. A little caption under a screen shot says you’ll be able to hire henchmen to help you out but this is definitely not a party based game. Also Bethesda confirms that there’ll be a dog in the game.

-As a matter of fact they do. The game does not scale like oblivion, so if you enter a high level area expect to be promptly murdered.

Also, I just read a little caption.

Level cap is 20.

Definite ending to the game, but there are 9 - 12 possible endings.

-It is XP based. Most of your XP comes from quests.[…]

EDIT - July 31st, 2009:
Mothership Zeta DLC - Trailer
« Last Edit: Friday, July 31, 2009, 04:31:04 PM by MysterD »