Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 218667 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Fallout 3
« Reply #800 on: Saturday, October 09, 2010, 06:23:44 AM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #801 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 10:55:17 AM »
So I'm playing through this again.  My PC is still FUBAR and I'm sick so haven't felt like dealing with it... said fuck it and bought the GOTY edition on PS3.  None of the problems people originally reported on PS3 seem to be an issue, and I'm having a fucking blast all over again.  This honestly could be my favorite game of all time.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #802 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 11:00:59 AM »
Yes, it's way up there for me too.  I played this game intensely for several months, and lingered with it for another couple after that.  I'm sure I logged in over 1000 hours before I was finally out of motivation to try another character or approach.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #803 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »
Ive been thinking ofnreplaying this eventually, but modding the hell out of it. PCGamer had an article today on fo3 mods.  Check it out. (on ipod, cant link)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #804 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
I've toyed with picking it up on PC to mess around with mods.  But there's something nice about playing a game in its original incarnation.  I started a Morrowind game with some mods, but decided to start over again with vanilla.

Course I never got that far.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #805 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
Ive been thinking ofnreplaying this eventually, but modding the hell out of it. PCGamer had an article today on fo3 mods.  Check it out. (on ipod, cant link)

Ummm....I put the link up to the PCG Essential 10 FO3 Mods yesterday on the first post in the thread...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #806 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 06:27:56 PM »
I couldn't get into the game an hour in. Need some advise.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #807 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 06:43:22 PM »

Where are you at? If you've just come out of the vault, go to the town right there nearby (it's on your map, it's Megaton)
If you're that far and stuck, try talking to Moriarty, the owner of the saloon.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #808 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 06:47:41 PM »

As I advise anybody who plays a Bethesda game - just explore the game-world itself.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #809 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 07:05:45 PM »
Where are you at? If you've just come out of the vault, go to the town right there nearby (it's on your map, it's Megaton)

I did, but everyone was sleeping. I ran around for an hour, got bored, and quit.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #810 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 07:10:25 PM »
I did, but everyone was sleeping. I ran around for an hour, got bored, and quit.

Advance time or sleep somewhere.

EDIT:
That's the T key by default in most Bethesda games.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #811 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »

Do you have time to play games that consume gobs of time and mental energy?  You seem like a busy guy to me.  FO3 needs an investment equal to the full length of many a game out there just to get yourself well acquainted with the world, and underway.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #812 on: Friday, October 15, 2010, 12:53:45 AM »
I have three days a week completely off. I just spend them worrying a little about the days that aren't, but that's probably why I need to get into this.

So advise... :P

My mistake was probably installing all the mods and stuff in the first go. I probably should have played the vanilla copy for a while.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #813 on: Friday, October 15, 2010, 01:37:15 AM »
Yea it can be confusing that way. You get transmissions for almost all of the DLC right as you leave the vault.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #814 on: Friday, October 15, 2010, 06:34:31 AM »
Get to Megaton and gather your bearings.  You probably shouldn't be exploring too much right now.  Get some decent weaponry and armor first.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #815 on: Friday, October 15, 2010, 09:02:44 AM »
Just ignore the signals from the DLC for now.  Yeah, Megaton is the sane starting point for a first-timer.  Get to meet the townfolk and help them out, starting with the local quests.  Get familiar with VATS.  Be a good guy the first time through.  Once you get your legs and home base, you can expand out however it suits you.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #816 on: Friday, October 15, 2010, 09:44:28 AM »
And hurry it up!  New Vegas hits in four days!

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #817 on: Friday, October 15, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
Be a good guy the first time through. 

I dunno, I was an evil motherfucker my first play through and I really enjoyed it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #818 on: Friday, October 15, 2010, 02:27:59 PM »
Hehe!  It does have some awesome moments.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #819 on: Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 02:55:57 AM »
I need some help with this. I didn't like the FO3 copy I borrowed off a friend, yet went and bought the GOTY edition and Vegas on Steam.

Again, I was having a grand time in the opening sequence in the vault. I found that to be the best part. Now, I am out and about, yet I find it so boring. I haven't gotten past the first town yet (is it Megaton?), which I find really dull. Overall, I find everything dull.

When does the game get better? Where should I go next? I want to enjoy this game so much.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #820 on: Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 02:57:45 PM »
I need some help with this. I didn't like the FO3 copy I borrowed off a friend, yet went and bought the GOTY edition and Vegas on Steam.

Again, I was having a grand time in the opening sequence in the vault. I found that to be the best part. Now, I am out and about, yet I find it so boring. I haven't gotten past the first town yet (is it Megaton?), which I find really dull. Overall, I find everything dull.

When does the game get better? Where should I go next? I want to enjoy this game so much.

Do Moira Brown's quests in Megaton, so you can get The Rock-It Launcher.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #821 on: Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 03:35:59 PM »
Pick a direction. Walk. Stuff will find you.

Alternatively, follow the main story quest. Should send you out of megaton and into DC itself, which is pretty interesting.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #822 on: Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 03:41:20 PM »
There is a lot to see in FO3, but there is a lot that is repetitive too.  My advice is if you start getting bored seeing the same repeating "dungeons", start to follow the main quest and go back to exploring after you finish more of that.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #823 on: Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
It took me a while to get used to the atmosphere.  I found it pretty drab and boring in the beginning.  Eventually though I started to find landmarks I thought were pretty interesting and the urge to discover took hold.  I got pretty overwhelmed with the sheer expansiveness of it all.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #824 on: Wednesday, January 05, 2011, 12:32:31 AM »
Don't ask me, I just bought New Vegas and can't play it because the repetitiveness of the world (carried over from FO3) kind of kills it for me.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #825 on: Wednesday, January 05, 2011, 09:10:11 AM »
Heading for DC and following the quest line are good suggestions if wandering aimlessly bores you.  I also liked Mothership Zeta as a good change of pace, with a rich environment.  You may want to wait until you have decent gear and get leveled up some.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #826 on: Friday, February 18, 2011, 11:35:54 AM »
My biggest mistake when trying to get into FO3 was to spend so much time in Megaton. The whole thing got dull fast.

Anyway, this time, I left Megaton after spending thirty minutes talking to everyone, and got involved in the fire ants town quest.

And my god is this game awesome. I love how each weapon you find can feel so unique. I also think they handled the ammo aspect of it quite well. The economics of it are realistic for the post apocalyptic genre, and make it all very interesting.

I have to admit, I feel a bit overwhelmed. There is so much I want to do.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #827 on: Friday, February 18, 2011, 12:27:06 PM »
I feel like I've pretty much limited myself to 2-3 weapons so far. I'm specced for small guns, and I run with a combat shotgun, hunting rifle, and an SMG for when I'm low on other ammo types. I very rarely switch to other stuff, and I find enough hunting rifles and combat shotguns to keep mine repaired.

I was playing it like Diablo, and like I had OCD. I would start heading toward my objective and try to explore as much as possible, and always find a "dungeon" (building, cave, subway system, etc). I would thoroughly clear that, end up with full inventory, then go back to Megaton to sell and repair. Then I would continue. I would take me forever to get to any objective. When I get back into it again, I'm gonna try to be a little less OCD about the way I play, otherwise I'll get bored before I get anything significant done.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #828 on: Friday, January 06, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
I finally met my Dad. That simulation was really cool.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #829 on: Friday, February 10, 2012, 03:45:49 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #830 on: Friday, February 10, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »
I read he was only 42 years old.  That's so sad.  What a tragic and untimely loss.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #831 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 07:34:15 AM »
I read he was only 42 years old.  That's so sad.  What a tragic and untimely loss.

Only 42?
Damn, that's awful. :(
Way too young and talented to go this soon.
Condolences to his friends, family, and loved ones.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #832 on: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 05:33:42 PM »
Necrobump of irrelevance.

Well, I think I'm finally and totally done with the game. While I had played the game about a year after its release and played through story, I bought the GOTY edition during the Steam Sale along with the Ultimate New Vegas pack. My intention was to do a quick playthrough so I could see the DLC stuff and move onto New Vegas. Instead, I did a pretty exhaustive run and saw most of what the game had to offer.

I think my main impression is that while it admirably captured the spirit of the the original Fallouts it was very much its own beast (or a Bethesda beast) in terms of tone, look, and style. Namely, this was about exploring while the originals were more about action-consequence events. As opposed to skills opening or changing the path you followed in the game, they were more about giving you an easier path through a given section and because of that having abilities like being intelligent or a smooth talker ultimately feel a bit hollow. Really, what carried the game was the need to see all sorts of cool places and its amazing how much millage Bethesda got out of a handfull of assets. You see a lot of repetition, but for some reason it's still super engaging.

Alright, now onto New Vegas. My hope is the game's setting leads to a more down to Earth tone in terms of the technology you run into and how problems are solved. The last chapters of FO3 (including Broken Steel) are too saturated with Power Armor and dudes with space weapons to the point where those things become mundane. Fallout tends to be at its best when it's some dusty people with shitty weapons trying to get by. Then when you find the laser rifle, power armor, or even rifle that shoots straight it's super awesome. I also hope New Vegas' pedigree infuse some of the old Fallout action-consequence into the exploration mix. From what I've read, that seems to be case.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #833 on: Monday, September 03, 2012, 07:11:01 AM »
Necrobump of irrelevance.

Well, I think I'm finally and totally done with the game. While I had played the game about a year after its release and played through story, I bought the GOTY edition during the Steam Sale along with the Ultimate New Vegas pack. My intention was to do a quick playthrough so I could see the DLC stuff and move onto New Vegas. Instead, I did a pretty exhaustive run and saw most of what the game had to offer.

I think my main impression is that while it admirably captured the spirit of the the original Fallouts it was very much its own beast (or a Bethesda beast) in terms of tone, look, and style. Namely, this was about exploring while the originals were more about action-consequence events. As opposed to skills opening or changing the path you followed in the game, they were more about giving you an easier path through a given section and because of that having abilities like being intelligent or a smooth talker ultimately feel a bit hollow. Really, what carried the game was the need to see all sorts of cool places and its amazing how much millage Bethesda got out of a handfull of assets. You see a lot of repetition, but for some reason it's still super engaging.

Alright, now onto New Vegas. My hope is the game's setting leads to a more down to Earth tone in terms of the technology you run into and how problems are solved. The last chapters of FO3 (including Broken Steel) are too saturated with Power Armor and dudes with space weapons to the point where those things become mundane. Fallout tends to be at its best when it's some dusty people with shitty weapons trying to get by. Then when you find the laser rifle, power armor, or even rifle that shoots straight it's super awesome. I also hope New Vegas' pedigree infuse some of the old Fallout action-consequence into the exploration mix. From what I've read, that seems to be case.

I loved both Fallout 3 and FO: New Vegas.

I think that's really what made FO3 - all the exploring. It's one of the things I just always loved about the Elder Scrolls series. There's just all these cool side quests and cool areas in FO3. There were a lot of great quests, too - and there were more choices here than in any typical Bethesda game for often just one quest. I really liked The Pitt & Point Lookout. Though, Mothership Zeta was pretty good, too.

But, yeah - FO: New Vegas has A LOT of cause/effect based on your decisions going on -- it's pretty much on the level of insanity that Alpha Protocol had going on for every decision matters. Since Avellone is involved w/ FO: New Vegas, you can definitely see that its narrative & writing was also A HELL OF A LOT better than FO3. I thought FO3's story about the dad tugged a bit more at the heart and was more personal, while FO: NV's story was just darker; more-revenge filled; and just flat-out better told & written. Pretty much, Obsidian expanded on everything I loved about FO3. Oh, and FO:NV - Old World Blues is probably the best DLC that I've ever played - PERIOD. I really should eventually replay FO:NV in (The Game's Built-In) Hardcore Mode and then replay it w/ Sawyer's (Even More) Hardcore Mod. Lord knows if that'll ever happen, given my backlog & that I often don't replay games - but I really should give this a replay, some day...

I don't think anybody can go wrong w/ FO3: GOTY and FO:NV - Ultimate. They're both just great A+ games.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #834 on: Monday, September 03, 2012, 07:55:46 AM »
Good to see some perspective, Sy.  I only tried the originals in earnest after playing FO3, and I just couldn't get into them.  To me, Fallout is all 3, as I suspect it is for most younger players.

New Vegas is a no-brainer for me, and it will come eventually.  I'm too occupied with other things at the moment, and BL2 is about to hit.  That one for me is essential.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #835 on: Monday, September 03, 2012, 08:28:34 AM »
Good to see some perspective, Sy.  I only tried the originals in earnest after playing FO3, and I just couldn't get into them.  To me, Fallout is all 3, as I suspect it is for most younger players.
Since I loved those old turn-based Fallout 1 and 2, I'm really looking forward to where Wasteland 2 goes...
Especially after seeing the early build vid of WL2 that Brian Fargo showed-off at Unite 2012 Conference.

*drools at the thought of the return of (old-school) party-based strategic-style turn-based combat in a RPG with options to zoom cam in/out between full-blown top-down and close-up views*

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #836 on: Monday, September 03, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »
I got FO3 for the 360 last year along with a couple of other games, it was the last game I played, but it was my favorite. I got  NV for the PC and it runs like crap, I've heard a lot people having problems with all versions of it. Its been uninstalled, I guess I'll play it on xbox instead.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #837 on: Tuesday, September 04, 2012, 03:35:27 PM »
I got FO3 for the 360 last year along with a couple of other games, it was the last game I played, but it was my favorite. I got  NV for the PC and it runs like crap, I've heard a lot people having problems with all versions of it. Its been uninstalled, I guess I'll play it on xbox instead.

FO: NV PC ran fine on my old Win XP rig (P4 @ 3 Ghz single core processor w/ HT; GeForce 8800 GT OC; 2 GB RAM; Win XP), not too long after it came out. Sure, I didn't max the settings out (I think I had most of the stuff on Medium, if I recall?) and I did NOT have it on a high res'  (I used 1024x7688), but it ran fine then...
Of course, it runs great maxed-out at 1920x1080 on my Win 7 rig now (i7 950; 1 GB GeForce GTX 560 Ti; 8 GB RAM; Win 7).