Author Topic: Things not to say when buying a car  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Things not to say when buying a car
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 08:48:37 PM »
I hate it when sites put one point per page.  You have a list of ten things?  Put it on one or two pages unless you're getting up near 500 words a point. Fuck, even then use some discretion.

Some of those points are just common sense, and I thought a couple might just be flatout wrong (i.e. a common negotiating tactic is deferring to another person i.e. the wife.  Ideally, doing so makes the other party believe you're on the verge, but they have to make the deal a little bit sweeter.  It's also used a lot in order to buy time, but thats at table negotiations).

That said, negotiating a car sale may be one of the easiest things you commonly have to negotiate.  You basically have all the leverage and if shit doesn't go well, you can drive another ten min. to the next Honda dealership and try for the exact same car.  Used is a bit more of a crapshoot, but it's still nothing compared to say, negotiating a house price or contract negotiations.   

In any case, the best thing you can do 99% of the time is be informed of absolutely everything pertinent at the time.  Common problems with that make and model, problems with the dealership reputation, warranty periods, interest rates, and stock at other dealerships.  Fuck, buying cars sucks, as does negotiating pretty much anything.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Things not to say when buying a car
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 09:09:03 PM »
"How many bodies can you reliably fit in the trunk?"

Offline Schlotzky5

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god