Author Topic: FFXII?  (Read 40346 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
FFXII?
« on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 07:29:29 PM »
Yay, or Nay?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: FFXII?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 07:44:09 PM »
Nay, but I hate RPGs.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 08:11:14 PM »
The IGN Review likes it. It's being described as "the PS2's best RPG of the year!" And most people's reactions are that it was totally worth the wait.

I love the FF series, though I haven't played FFX or FFX-2. The most recent one I played was FFIX, and I didn't even finish it. For some reason the game hangs during one of the FMV's, and I didn't bother to get a new copy.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 08:19:57 PM »
I've only played FF VIII, so I don't really care for the FF series.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 08:44:32 PM »
I think Gamespot's review comes up tomorrow. So far, it's looking like I have to pick it up.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 09:46:42 PM »
VIII is one of the worst, JB.  That was a poor choice.

But yeah... I don't really care.  It could be the grandest thing ever and I probably still wouldn't.  I'm just sorta' sick of FF stereotypes.  This one might not be as bad, but from what I've seen it looks too same-ish.  I dunno'.  I'm just tired of a lot of the shit they try to do.  I know Julia is curious about it, but she definitely doesn't want to pick it up at launch.  She figures she might get it after it hits Greatest Hits price, but she's a bit sick of FF at the moment as well.  She played X, X2, and then maybe half or two thirds of 6.  The only one she really wants to try now is VII, but she's too busy with Disgaea at the moment to care about much else.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 10:03:07 PM »
I enjoy a good Final Fantasy game. I just dont like the branching off sequels or a stupid online RPG. I want a fresh new one that contains a new universe and characters because they create some epic and beautiful shit. So yea, I've been waiting for a new genuine Final Fantasy for some time.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 10:06:32 PM »
I remember playing IX and liking it a lot. Actually, one of my first sig's was Vivi from that game. I doubt that I will pick up this one, though. No interest, plus I don't have the money for it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 10:32:23 PM »
The last one I enjoyed was FFX, I might play this, but not buy it unless I end up liking it.  I think my brother is getting it so I might give it a shot once he is done with it.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 11:30:23 PM »
You know a week ago I would have said I'm curious about the game, but didn't intend to pick it up.

Funny thing, about two hours before this thread started I just thought about the game and decided to preorder it for no good reason. I have no idea when I'll actually play it, but it'll be here sometime in the beginning of November (cheap ass shipping).

So yeah, I'm interested. I've pretty much enjoyed each FF I've palyed a great deal outside of FFIX, FFVI is easily one of my favorite games out there and FFVII really is something special in our little gaming world. I imagine it's hard not to get caught up in the release of a real Final Fantasy game (FFXII doesn't count) even if you're an anti-fan of the series. Then you get more stuff to bitch about and that's fun in it's own way.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 11:46:38 PM »
Heh, you make a good point.  That said, I did love VII.  I've been sad each time something kept me from finishing it.  I need to get it on fucking PS instead of this crap PC port.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 02:21:43 AM »
...How could you not like IX?  IX and VI were easily the best.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 03:06:56 AM »
Oooh Now I'm really anxious about the possibility of a FFVII Remake for the PS3!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 02:34:38 PM »
The last FF I owned, back in the PSX days, was FF9. Good, but not great. By that time, I was tired of the same FF formula, not breaking much new ground.

I did play a demo of it FF12 at a GameStop store, a bit back -- and I was *not* impressed w/ the demo. Demo's often don't tell you enough, though....I did like the change in the battle system, though. Thank God for no more random battles.

I did know that the gameworld itself got a little more open w/ FFX-2 from what I heard, which is a good thing...

So, here's the usual MyD questions coming, since I don't feel like reading the review and since I wanna hear people's opinions....

Are there a good amounts of side-quests?

Any multiple endings to the game?

What about multiple endings to certain quests?

Some non-linearity??? None??? A little?!?!?!?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 04:02:49 PM »
The only FF I played was FFX.  Hated it with a passion.  Most other games I buy that aren't that great I just tell myself, "Well this kind of sucks, but I paid good money for it, might as well get my money's worth."  FFX I played for about 3 hours and never again.  Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 05:30:10 PM »
Face it D. Final Fantasies are not made with you in mind... at all. For me, the best way to think of them are adventure games with a battle system. Really, that's all they are.

I don't know what it was about FF IX that didn't do it for me. I went through all of disc one and part of disc two, but something just never clicked. I'm inclined to say it was the characters since I never really made any sort of a connection (even annoyence) with any of them. As a result, I couldn't tell you the names of any of them except Vivi and the only reason I know him is because he's the freaking Black Mage.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 05:49:22 PM »
From what I can remember I liked FFIX more than FFVIII. Even though I could appreciate and relate to the romantic qualities of FFVIII, I didn't want a whole game centred around that theme. FFVIII is basically the 'chick flick' of RPG's.

I was really starting to enjoy FFIX, until it just kept hanging.. It was pretty cool how they brought back the classic combat style. I have to agree, the game didn't seem quite as memorable as FFVII or any others.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 06:00:19 PM »
Face it D. Final Fantasies are not made with you in mind... at all. For me, the best way to think of them are adventure games with a battle system. Really, that's all they are.

I don't know what it was about FF IX that didn't do it for me. I went through all of disc one and part of disc two, but something just never clicked. I'm inclined to say it was the characters since I never really made any sort of a connection (even annoyence) with any of them. As a result, I couldn't tell you the names of any of them except Vivi and the only reason I know him is because he's the freaking Black Mage.

Yuh, I even have that Vivi plush doll for signing up ASAP when they began that PlayOnline thing.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 06:31:34 PM »
Well, I ordered it. It has USA value shipping or whatever from ebgames.com. So, it'll be here someday. 

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 08:29:32 PM »
9.0 from Gamespot.  I haven't read the review but if I still have my ps2 after I finish Okami and Xenosaga 1-3, I'll probably get this....hopefully as a greatest hit by then.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 08:44:03 PM »
9.0 from Gamespot.  I haven't read the review but if I still have my ps2 after I finish Okami and Xenosaga 1-3, I'll probably get this....hopefully as a greatest hit by then.

Hmm I read the review on Gamespot and it has me a little more interested in the game than before,  I got a few other games I want to play first though before I dive into it, namely Okami(which I still need to get) and Guitar Hero 2.  Also I don't want to derail the thread but have you started any of the Xenosaga games yet GPW?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 09:36:33 PM »
Yeah, I'm a bit into Episode I, but can't really trust the timer to tell me how far since I've left it on and stopped playing a bunch of times.  If I was to guess, I'd say maybe 6-9 hours in.  I like it but at the same time am a bit let down.  The story seems cool, but the combat system isn't really all that great in my opinion.  I guess I just expected a bit more since the Xenogears system was just awesome.  There also seems to be too many moments where I'm just running around ships and complexes for no real reason.

I bought Ep. I and II off ebay for like $40, but also bought Okami while waiting for them to arrive so I've been having a bit of trouble really getting into it.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 10:15:29 PM »
My game came earlier today. I'm not going to get around to it tonight. I'm about dead as it is. But I'm off tomrrow. I'm going to check it out. I'm a little worried about the battle system. I really like the traditional turn based FF. And I hated the demo of this game that came with DQ8 honestly. We'll see I guess.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 10:19:48 PM »
Yeah, I've heard little bits and pieces of the battle system from different places and have no idea what the hell it's all about.  You only really control one character, but the others follow macros you've created or something right?

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 10:21:28 PM »
I think you can switch between the characters. And you can have macros set up for other ones. Something like that.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 10:33:47 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought.  Kind of like how Star Ocean 2 did it, but where you actually set the macros (well, set more detailed macros) and it's turned based.  I don't know.  I could see it being cool or really really tedious.

Edit: I just watched the video review.  They just had to mention Vagrant Story and I was sold.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 02, 2006, 01:03:33 AM by gpw11 »

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, November 02, 2006, 08:03:12 PM »
It's good so far. It starts off a little slow, but after you get past the first 3 hours or so, it gets much more interesting. It's seems like it's going to be great. Don't think it can equal 10 or anything, but it's good.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, November 05, 2006, 12:56:23 AM »
So, I'm into it. The battle system took a few hours for me to get used to, but now I really like it. I think I still like the traditional turn based system better, but this one is pretty good. The game starts off a little slow, it started really pulling me in at about hour 5 or so. I'm really enjoying it. There is a good degree of customization to characters that you can mess with. Like, I'm making Vaan, a sword wielding mage type character. I'm making Fran a cleric type character. I'm making another guy whom I won't name because of spoilers a paladin kind of guy. The gambit system is really nice too. I was getting my ass handed to me for a while, and I couldn't figure out why. It was starting to get frustrating. Then I adjusted some gambits. Had Fran be my main healer, and adjusted her gambits as such, and the game got easier, and more fun. So it works really well. It's very customizable.

The only thing is, it doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game. I mean, it does, but it doesn't. It's hard to explain. But it's totally worth checking out for those of you who were on the fence about it. It's a great game thus far.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, November 05, 2006, 04:58:22 PM »
The only thing is, it doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game. I mean, it does, but it doesn't. It's hard to explain. But it's totally worth checking out for those of you who were on the fence about it. It's a great game thus far.

It's been 5 years since FFX, the last true new SP FF game.

Maybe the reason it feels like it's a FF but isn't an FF is b/c they made some evolutionary changes to the series, such as the removal of random battles, to begin w/? ???

That kind of is the impression I'm getting from reviews and all....

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, November 05, 2006, 11:32:08 PM »
I always enjoyed watching my friends play the FF games, but Japanese RPGs don't hold a candle to American ones.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 10:20:33 PM »
My roommate bought this today.  I haven't played it at all, but it looks really cool.  I still probably won't play it for months.  Too much school/new girlfriend/xenosaga/okami.  But work slows down a bit in the winter so who knows. 

I did really notice a lot of FFT and especially Vagrant Story related art, sounds, atmosphere, and the like though...and that definitly has me pumped.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, November 26, 2006, 01:19:31 PM »
Okay, so it looks like I decided on how to stave off WoW -- buy FFXII.  Shit.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, November 26, 2006, 11:23:53 PM »
So I'm super into this.  It wasn't something I was caring about until I checked out some more recent press and footage, but it's really filling the bill for me right now.  I didn't realize quite how drastic some of the design changes were, but I think they're *all* for the better.  Thus far I'm just loving it.  About 6 hours in or so now, maybe a little more.  The gambit stuff is just awesome, and it totally doesn't get in your way or make you trip over yourself.  I think it's all brilliant.  The story seems fairly of a fairly basic political nature so far, but the characters are interesting and most of the writing is fantastic.  Even just in the menus and stuff, this is writing of a caliber never before seen in an FF game.  Most other recent entries have only been a few steps above lousy, even, in a lot of regards, so this is a huge step up.

Overall, I'm deeply impressed.

Though I'm a bit stunned at how last-gen the graphics are.  I realize there's an obvious gulf between the graphics on the 360 and the PS2, but I guess I hadn't realized just how big that gulf has now grown.  FFXII is a very pretty game and the art direction is absolutely fan-fucking-tastic, but it's sometimes painfully obvious that it's a PS2 game.

Still, no complaints from me at all.  So far I can officially say that I've never enjoyed an FF game as much as I'm enjoying XII.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 27, 2006, 04:42:43 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 09:01:10 PM »
Scary, you stop playing this or are you still at it?  I guess with your Wii you're probably playing Zelda and stuff.

Anyway, I further his last statement about those being on the fence to give it a shot.  This is easily the best FF game I've ever played from any number of standpoints.  I'm having a ball.  Great music, great art design, great characters, cool universe, big world, tons to do, lots of fun and engaging twists to the standard formula... it's awesome!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2006, 11:24:16 PM »
Find it really hard to believe how little interest there seems to be in this game.  The more I play, the more I love it.  Continues to be far and away my favorite FF ever.  Plot doesn't necessarily seem the best of all the games, but it's pretty interesting so far.  Plenty of intrigue and fun war/political stuff, and the characters themselves feel a lot more like actual characters to me than any other FF game I've played.  Even 10... everyone seemed too much like a caricature.  Despite some of the distinct personalities and more outlandish design elements in 12, all the characters seem a whole lot more grounded and real.

Anyway... it's sad that I'm like the only person here playing this since Scary seems to have gone off on Zelda and abandoned it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2006, 11:26:01 PM »
Find it really hard to believe how little interest there seems to be in this game.  The more I play, the more I love it.  Continues to be far and away my favorite FF ever.  Plot doesn't necessarily seem the best of all the games, but it's pretty interesting so far.  Plenty of intrigue and fun war/political stuff, and the characters themselves feel a lot more like actual characters to me than any other FF game I've played.  Even 10... everyone seemed too much like a caricature.  Despite some of the distinct personalities and more outlandish design elements in 12, all the characters seem a whole lot more grounded and real.

Anyway... it's sad that I'm like the only person here playing this since Scary seems to have gone off on Zelda and abandoned it.

I hope to be enjoying it soon too, I'm hoping to buy it in the next week or so.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2006, 11:51:14 PM »
A word about the Collector's Edition for those interested -- it's not bad.  Comes with a DVD and tin case.  Case is slick, DVD has a pretty extensive bunch of interviews with people and some artwork and that kind of thing.  There's also a historical featurette on the franchise which just goes over the previous games and what they did to change the systems in each new installment, etc.  It was actually pretty cool.  I wasn't expecting too much and ended up pleased.  Not the most amazing thing ever, and a little dry (okay, very dry) in terms of presentation, but there was a good bit of content.  I was a bit less pleased with the art book included with the Brady Games limited edition guide (I was hugely pleased with the one that came with the BG Gears of War LE guide, however) just because they didn't include any text from people who worked on the project and such.  The art itself was nice, though.  Showed off some of the designs nicely and stuph.  Julia and I like to have guides around for FF games because so much of the stuff is impossible to find on your own, and while she's cool with using GameFAQs, a nice guide is a decent gift because they're fun to look at.  I don't use them too much, but thought this one would be good to get because I liked the art so much.  So it's a nice art book included with it, just not as nice as the great one they did for Gears of War.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, November 30, 2006, 12:11:13 AM »
How was it reviewed?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, November 30, 2006, 07:50:13 AM »
Favorably.

9.0 from GSpot.
9.5 from IGN.
Average of 93% at GameRankings.

What upsets me most is what some of the people are complaining about.  I have *never* been an FF fanboy, and I'm still not.  I think the series often gets far more credit than it's actually due, and I think there have been significant problems with the design pretty much since the beginning.  That doesn't mean I think the games are bad, because I don't -- I've enjoyed a good many of them now -- but I've always been something of a critic.

But I swear, people will complain about fucking *anything*.  Everyone says the game starts off slow and I just don't see it.  It's got probably the biggest and most holy-cow opening movie ever, gives you an introductory sequence that's crazy and action-packed, then it throws you into the middle of a huge city with tons to see and do, let's you run around and see everything, let's you run around and talk to everyone, and sends you off fighting things and making money.  A few hours in you get a lot of your characters, learn about the gambit system, and are generally off and running.  I don't see the validity of the complaint at all, yet everyone seems to be making it.  I mean, FFVII felt so much slower to start for me.  I love that game, but the beginning I find agonizing.

Also, the soundtrack.  I'm so fucking sick of Uematsu fanboys.  Yes, he did some great work, but that doesn't mean there isn't anyone else out there capable of writing good music!  Hitoshi Sakamoto did Final Fantasy Tactics well, and this game is set in the same universe, so it makes sense for him to make another appearance.  And considering they asked him to compose the ridiculous amount of music that they did (there's over 4 hours on the soundtrack), I'd say he did an awesome job.  People keep saying it's too big, too epic, but that seems such a hypocritical complaint coming from most of these people.  Regardless, I've been listening to the soundtrack at work and I think it's beautiful.  It could be somewhat more tightly-knit and unique, but that's because of the sheer volume the guy had to compose.  I think he really did a fantastic job and am enjoying the soundtrack immensely.  It's very much akin to Shimomura's work on Legend of Mana.

Anyway... heh.  For some reason that stuff is bugging me.  I guess it's the same thing that bugged me with RE4 -- some fanboys refused to acknowledge that it was better than previous entries because they were so stuck on the rotten and boring gameplay of the originals.  But in this case, at least, it's only a few minor niggles about music and presentation.  Most people, thankfully, aren't complaining too much about the game systems.  The new battle system seems to be a winner with most people, so that's a good thing.  I was expecting a lot more backlash about it to be honest, but it fixes so much about what brought the other games down.  Keeps the pace up, keeps the world consistent, feels simultaneously more chaotic and more tangible.  Good stuff.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, November 30, 2006, 09:57:46 PM »
Wait? People actually complain that a Final Fantasy is too big and too epic?

Wow.

Edit: I should add more to the conversation. I really want to get into the game, but right now Zelda takes what attention I can give it... which isn't much. I've barely had time to do much this week since I got the Wii and just barely got my apartment in a state suitable for games. So yeah, I suck.