Author Topic: Socket 478 Pentium 4 CPU cooler fan -- standard?  (Read 8903 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Socket 478 Pentium 4 CPU cooler fan -- standard?
« on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 09:14:10 AM »
Hi all.  My PC has been sounding like a leaf blower for about 2 weeks.  I finally got fed up and tracked down the offending fan, which is the CPU's.  I've seen several replacements available that look like what I already have (square box, screw at each corner, little attached cable) but they always seem to come in conjunction with a heatsink/cooler.  My question is, are these pretty much standard fans?  Can I buy one of these simple heatsink/fan packages and bolt the replacement fan directly to my currently installed heatsink?  Or is there a way to get a fan by itself?

Case in point

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Socket 478 Pentium 4 CPU cooler fan -- standard?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 10:20:48 AM »
cpu fans are almost always standard sizes, so as long as you get one the right size, it should fit. the only things you really need to check are that it has a 3 pin connector, and that it can push sufficient airflow (around 25cfm for a cpu cooler - depending on the heatsink).

here's where i bought my stuff (when i could afford to mess about with pc hardware): http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=57&subid=818 - it's a uk site, but this is the kind of thing you want.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 01:03:32 PM »
Thanks for replying, beo.  I take it, then, that if I get a heatsink/fan kit specifically for a Socket 478 P4, I stand a good chance of being able to interchange the fan alone?  I'll give it a shot.  Worst thing would be that I'd have to replace the heatsink as well.  I'd rather not, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.  Thanks.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 02:03:44 PM »
if it were me, i'd just measure the old fan and get one the same size. if you really want to get the whole kit, it's a bit hit or miss whether or not the fan will be interchangeable. 60mm always used to be the standard size for a fan on oem heatsinks, with 80mm and above normally reserved for enthusiast gear. don't know if this has changed in the last few years, however.

well, if it doesn't fit, you could always just super-glue it on. ghetto, but it works. i used to stick oversized fans on cpus and graphics cards with this method and it seemed to do the job.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 02:29:01 PM »
Why don't you just replace the entire HS&F?

I wouldn't swap one fan with another, unless I was buying the exact same thing.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 04:39:21 PM »
I just don't want to mess with breaking off the current sink, cleaning out old glue/thermal compound, and gluing/thermal coupling a new sink.  If I can just bolt on a new fan to this old thing, I'll be happy.  But whatever works.  The noise has got to go, and it's just a matter of time before this blown bearing seizes up completely.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 08:17:09 PM »
Why don't you just replace the entire HS&F?

I wouldn't swap one fan with another, unless I was buying the exact same thing.
I guess it depends on what you buy.  I lean towards Thermalright heatsinks with separate fan purchases.  You get a lot of flexibility with that setup because they are designed to accept standard case/CPU fans.  But yeah if Cobra has an OEM unit, I'd almost have to see it to see if he can just swap out the fan pretty easily.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 09:59:49 AM »
Actually, it's not OEM.  It's a kit I installed to make my Intel 850 motherboard with a 423-pin CPU socket accept a 478-pin Northwood P4.  It was part of an upgrade I did in 2005.  The fan is indeed 70 mm.  I measured it today, and then it occurred to me to look inside my dead cheap PC (which I ranted about on the boards when it fried itself before my eyes).  Sure enough, 70mm fan, 3-pin plug.  (D'oh!)  I swapped it in just now, and it's spinning merrily away.

It must have been a real cheapie.  The other fans (case fan, PSU fan) have been spinning happily twice as long.  Let's see how long this one lasts.

Thanks all!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, March 13, 2010, 08:17:15 AM »
It must have been a real cheapie.  The other fans (case fan, PSU fan) have been spinning happily twice as long.  Let's see how long this one lasts.
Maybe it was a sleeve bearing fan.  Those things are total crap.  I had one die in eight months once.  I like the fans with the fluid dynamic bearings.  They last a long time and are quiet.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, March 13, 2010, 08:48:58 AM »
I'm sure it was.  The one I linked above is a sleeve bearing fan also.  Since then, I've tracked down some ball-bearing fans.  A Masscool product on Amazon looked the best for the money.  I wouldn't be surprised if the fan I'm using as a replacement also uses a sleeve bearing.  The PC it came from was too cheap to stay alive more than a few years.  So I may be doing this again soon.  Haha!