Author Topic: Does anyone care about the Academy Awards anymore?  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Does anyone care about the Academy Awards anymore?
« on: Monday, March 08, 2010, 01:47:25 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8554786.stm

I didn't even know about them till a few minutes ago.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Re: Does anyone care about the Academy Awards anymore?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 08, 2010, 02:10:02 AM »
No, they're way too long, boring and no one agrees with the winners or even the nominees. The only reason I like the Oscars is because all of the nominated movies get leaked online in DVD quality...but even the movies this year sucked.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 08, 2010, 07:55:05 AM »
Sandy and I watched the show.  I was on the laptop after a while, though, and just glanced up during the highlights.  I watched both Hurt Locker and Avatar, and I thought it could go either way, depending on whether the voters this year were the big blockbuster type, or the small artsy crowd.  Avatar is by far the greater cinematic achievement.  Hurt Locker delivers a powerful story in a disturbingly realistic way.  Up won in its categories, as it should be.  I've seen it and the competition.  I wouldn't have nominated The Wonderful Mr Fox in any category related to animation.

As for the actor awards, Christoph Waltz earned his without a doubt.  I haven't seen Precious, nor do I intend to, so I don't know if More Nique, er, Mo'Nique deserved hers or not.  I haven't seen Sandra Bullock's movie, so I don't know if she deserved her award more than Meryl Streep (who portrayed Julia Child perfectly).  Jeff Bridges was due, and that's probably why he was picked.  Haven't seen his movie, though, so my comment holds little water.  Best Director and Best Movie went to Hurt Locker, which I can't argue with.  The competition wasn't all that strong, and that includes Avatar in such lofty categories.

I didn't think Up in the Air deserved any Oscars, and I can't understand why it got a Best Actress nomination.  The actress didn't do anything in this movie to deserve it.

That's all I can think of for the moment.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 08, 2010, 08:03:16 AM »
I don't know why they even bother with these things anymore.  Might as well call it An Evening of Masturbation.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 08, 2010, 08:05:03 AM »
now that, i'd watch.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 08, 2010, 09:20:53 AM »
Maybe if it was hosted by women only.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Monday, March 08, 2010, 12:41:15 PM »
Now that I'd watch.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Monday, March 08, 2010, 05:40:05 PM »
I caught bits and pieces of the show... it's too long and drawn out though to hold my attention.  I did end up seeing most of the films that were nominated though so I did have a passing interest to see which one would win the awards.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Monday, March 08, 2010, 06:21:48 PM »
I've never watched the Oscars before but I like them for the best foreign language film category. The nominees are usually a good source of films I never would've heard of otherwise.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 02:46:30 PM »
wasn't really interested. i thought Meryl should've won. But I don't like Sandra Bullock and now i don't like her even more.
Taken.