Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 to be more of an RPG?  (Read 68269 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Mass Effect 3 to be more of an RPG?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 03:50:47 AM »
I think Bioware shouldn't take bitching on the internet to heart so much. I think the direction they took with ME2 is a good one. These are the people that preferred loading screens to watching character interaction between areas.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 04:24:44 AM »
haha yea while I agree with you, deeper RPG stuff would be good.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 05:38:44 AM »
Oh fuck, you're going to take game direction advice from the same people who post in 1000 page threads about being in love with an alien in an environment suit because she has nice hips? Mass Effect 2 is highly regarded across the board, and anyone complaining that the game was a step back from the first is in the very, VERY small minority.

Maybe some more skills, maybe some more character customization in abilities and job classes, but leave it at that.  As a streamlined action RPG, the second game is just about perfect and Bioware shouldn't let some of their their vocal and elitist fans ruin something that could be great.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 06:20:29 AM »
I have faith that any changes Bioware makes will be for the best.

They were pretty smart to keep all the changes in ME2 under wraps, because we know people would have been very negative about the changes without actually experiencing them.

Overall, they didn't make any changes in ME2 that we can disagree with. Loading screens for elevator rides suck, but at the same time, they were extremely long on the consoles.

Maybe some more skills, maybe some more character customization in abilities and job classes, but leave it at that.

I am in my second play through, and I think the lack of depth in classes is a slight negative -- though they still play fairly differently. More skills would and stuff would help differentiate the classes quite a bit more. Aside from that, they will probably leave it alone... let's hope at least.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 07:10:12 AM »
I think Bioware shouldn't take bitching on the internet to heart so much. I think the direction they took with ME2 is a good one. These are the people that preferred loading screens to watching character interaction between areas.

I liked the character interaction on elevators found in ME1 kept me immersed further into the character development. I dunno why someone would want load screens instead of this....

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 07:22:04 AM »
i really wouldn't be worried. they took on board some of the criticisms of the first game, and look how the second turned out! they obviously know what to take from fan feedback to improve their product. i have faith they'll pull it off again.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
I like what they did with Mass Effect 2's gameplay.  The shooting mechanics worked a lot better than the first game.  I was a little disappointed at the level up system though and the powers you can get for your class though.  They felt a little more limited especially compared to the first game.  It was still amazing though. 

It's quite clear that Bioware is doing some degree of experimentation with the gameplay mechanics of the Mass Effect series as a whole.  I mean in the first game the vehicle sections were really hit and miss, and you got the same boring side quests rooms and tunnels over and over again.  With ME2 they got rid of the vehicle sections (though they're coming back in DLC) and brilliant and full fledged and unique side quests (at the cost of there being fewer).  What ME2 didn't do too well was the planet scanning and the loading.  I'm surprised how many loading screens there are in ME2, especially moving from within the ship levels.  The planet scanning was monotonous and boring.

It'll be interesting to see what they will do with the third, but I do hope they keep the shooting mechanics as they are and maybe make the cover mechanics a little smoother like Uncharted or Gears of War.  The cover system still feels a little clunky moving from cover to cover at times. 

In the end though ME is really all about the story.  It's got one of my favorite stories for a video game and I'm really interested in seeing how the trilogy will end.  Regardless of the gameplay decisions that they end up taking, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it anyway.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 03:14:57 PM »
I like what they did with Mass Effect 2's gameplay.  The shooting mechanics worked a lot better than the first game.  I was a little disappointed at the level up system though and the powers you can get for your class though.  They felt a little more limited especially compared to the first game.  It was still amazing though. 

It's quite clear that Bioware is doing some degree of experimentation with the gameplay mechanics of the Mass Effect series as a whole.  I mean in the first game the vehicle sections were really hit and miss, and you got the same boring side quests rooms and tunnels over and over again.  With ME2 they got rid of the vehicle sections (though they're coming back in DLC) and brilliant and full fledged and unique side quests (at the cost of there being fewer).  What ME2 didn't do too well was the planet scanning and the loading.  I'm surprised how many loading screens there are in ME2, especially moving from within the ship levels.  The planet scanning was monotonous and boring.
I liked the vehicle sections. :)

My only complaint about those sections was there was no way to move the camera directly behind your character w/ one button push, since the cam follows the gun pretty much.

It'll be interesting to see what they will do with the third, but I do hope they keep the shooting mechanics as they are and maybe make the cover mechanics a little smoother like Uncharted or Gears of War.  The cover system still feels a little clunky moving from cover to cover at times. 

In the end though ME is really all about the story.  It's got one of my favorite stories for a video game and I'm really interested in seeing how the trilogy will end.  Regardless of the gameplay decisions that they end up taking, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it anyway.
Shit, I was happy w/ the combat from ME1; especially for a RPG game - LOL. And pretty much everybody says the combat has improved more so for ME2? Geez...can't wait til ME2 arrives here sometime likely this week.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 04:55:06 PM »
I liked the vehicle sections. :)

My only complaint about those sections was there was no way to move the camera directly behind your character w/ one button push, since the cam follows the gun pretty much.
Shit, I was happy w/ the combat from ME1; especially for a RPG game - LOL. And pretty much everybody says the combat has improved more so for ME2? Geez...can't wait til ME2 arrives here sometime likely this week.

The vehicle sections were alright the first time through, but really tedious the second play through. While they weren't so bad with the main main missions, they fucking sucked for the side quests. I do have high hopes for the new "Hammerhead" DLC though. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 11:42:30 AM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 11:46:40 AM »
I didn't mind the concept so much, they rwally just need to tweak it somehow and make it less tedious. Like incorporating a puzzle mini game in there or something.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 11:47:44 AM »
I didn't mind the concept so much, they rwally just need to tweak it somehow and make it less tedious. Like incorporating a puzzle mini game in there or something.
And make the reticule move QUICKER.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »
If you could discover more cool random stuff, it would make the process better worth the while.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 11:57:13 AM »
If you could discover more cool random stuff, it would make the process better worth the while.

That sounds good, too.

I just hope Bioware can come up w/ a way to make mining mini-game more deeper and more interesting than ME2 had.

ME2's mining was just like they were making some sort of foundation down and didn't finish the damn thing...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 12:01:44 PM »
Hmmm...

No I don't want deeper. Deep is what I want the actual game to be... but this, I'd rather be a fun and interesting distraction.

Something that is like a popcap game, but fits in with the Mass Effect thing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 12:08:16 PM »
Hmmm...

No I don't want deeper. Deep is what I want the actual game to be... but this, I'd rather be a fun and interesting distraction.
More variety in the mini-game would be welcome, if you ask me.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 12:25:22 PM »
It can have variety and still be a fun and interesting distraction.

Making it 'deeper' or more 'complex' is just not a good idea though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 05:09:57 PM »
Hopefully it will be useful variables and not variables like the number of shots I've taken or the number of steps I took while on the Normandy.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Friday, December 10, 2010, 03:22:54 PM »
G4TV -> EA has a listing for Mass Effect 3 on EA Store and pulled it already.

In addition to revealing the game will release on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC for $59.95, the listing also happened to included the following summation of the game’s plot:

“Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth.”

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 01:31:48 AM »
Was there a date attached?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 07:43:52 AM »
Was there a date attached?

Nope.
We just know it's coming.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #24 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 07:55:20 AM »
Wait... there's going to be a Mass Effect 3?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 07:56:10 AM »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #26 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 07:57:37 AM »
Yes D, I know, I was fucking with you.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 07:59:46 AM »
Yes D, I know, I was fucking with you.
Ah, Okay...hehe.  ;D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Monday, March 28, 2011, 11:09:04 PM »
Oh hells yes.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 10:05:41 AM »
It's pretty clear that's the direction they would have been heading based on the way weapon effects appear, they just didn't go all the way with the immersive interface. I'm glad they took an example in Dead Space to create a more interesting HUD.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Friday, April 08, 2011, 01:56:07 PM »
Yes, yes, yes!

Improvements
The first Mass Effect 3 details have emerged, revealing which characters will return for the final part of the trilogy. There’s also news of an upgraded RPG system, weapons mods and alternative endings.

Skills and Powers
Bioware say they’ve beefed up the levelling mechanics to offer a greater choice of abilities. Skill trees will be larger, and powers can be evolved several times.

Weapons System
There have been some tweaks to the weapons systems, too. All characters can use any weapon, but different classes will have a limited number of weapons slots. Only the soldier class will be able to carry all of them at once. Weapon mods will let you add scopes and different barrels to your weapons, changing the look and effectiveness of each gun.

Multiple Endings
Mass Effect 3 will have a number of alternative endings. Like Mass Effect 2, the ending you get will depend heavily on the team members you recruit.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 01:15:19 AM »
More details on ME3 from Maximum PC.

So, who's along for the ride this time? In the party member category, we have Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, and Garrus. Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson will also show their faces/vaguely expressive cranial regions, but not as party members, unfortunately. Everyone's favorite Martin Sheen-voiced manipulator The Illusive Man is back in the spotlight (or dimly lit space lounge, as it were) as well, but this time, he's chasing you down. Something tells us it's not a friendly game of mid-Galactic Apocalypse tag, either.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 06:16:40 PM »
Reading that makes me want to play some of the DLC.  I haven't played any of them.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 01:55:41 AM »
Reading that makes me want to play some of the DLC.  I haven't played any of them.
In my opinion, the best of the DLC is the Shadow Broker.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Friday, April 15, 2011, 12:07:18 AM »
Legion not in the party?  WTF?!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #36 on: Friday, April 15, 2011, 02:03:08 AM »
Legion not in the party?  WTF?!
Even Garrus!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #37 on: Friday, April 15, 2011, 06:30:35 AM »
I liked Garrus in the first game but didn't like his nihilistic attitude in the second game so I sent him to his death.  My favorite character is Wrex.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #38 on: Friday, April 15, 2011, 06:55:17 AM »
Yeah, he was pretty gloomy in ME2 but I managed to pull him through after the mission to hunt down Sedonis (Garrus' companion mission).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 01:36:24 AM »
First screenshots of ME3!

Source: GameInformer

the action of the game will take Shepard from Earth cities like New York or London to a Krogan moon, the Salarian homeworld or Mars, among other planets.

Game Informer has also revealed the first two screenshots of Mass Effect 3, showcasing the Commander engaged in battle against Cerberus troops on the Salarian homeworld.

While it's nothing out of the ordinary, it's good to see that the game has retained much of its trademarks, including lens flares or the sharp, futuristic look.