Author Topic: F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point Expansion Goes GOLD  (Read 4757 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point Expansion Goes GOLD
« on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 06:20:58 PM »
F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point goes GOLD by Timegate, due out Oct 24th!!!

Friday, October 20, 2006
One Down, One To Go
Well F.E.A.R. Extraction Point should be on store shelves on the 24th so run out and get yourself a copy!

We’ve been working really hard since the last blog, which was a little out of date, to get everything squared away and ready to go.

This gold process was relatively easy compared to other projects, I won’t mention names but I’ve seen things – terrible terrible things - appearing as GM builds, so this was a fairly stress free ending. I still always think that there should be a parade or something at the end of a project. After everyone jumping through hoops for a year to get a project done it would be nice to sit back and see some pink poodles doing the same thing while eating cotton candy.

It’s been a great experience working with team F.E.A.R. here in the Sierra office and with Timegate on this project. I’d like to sends thanks out to everyone who has worked so hard for the past year and we really hope you’ll enjoy Extraction Point as much as we do.

Take care,
Tim Hall
Producer – F.E.A.R. Extraction Point

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point Expansion Goes GOLD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 07:49:40 AM »
Damn it.  Wallet... screaming...

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 08:43:07 AM »
Damn it.  Wallet... screaming...

It's going to be $25 at Best Buy, next week.....from what I heard....though, you'll have to wait until it's released, I'm guessing probably on Tues or Wed or Thurs, to get it...

...Knowing BB, they're kinda slow, at times on new releases....

EDIT:
BB has FEAR Extraction in their flyer listed for a Wed release (on my birthday!)

I should note this, also -- at Best Buy this week only, buy TWO games priced at $19.99 and over, you will instantly get $10 off.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 05:53:50 AM by MysterD »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 07:00:55 PM »
7.6 from IGN.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 07:07:17 PM »
Not really a good sign.  I still don't own the original game, has anyone seen a 'gold' pack or anything out there yet?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 07:20:49 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 07:30:42 PM »
IGN's FEAR Expansion review

Wow.....FEAR Extraction got a 3.0 on Lasting Appeal (Replay value) from IGN. Ouchie.

To sum it up, IGN's complaints range from the following:
--The expansion is only 5 hours
--Not much new for environments, weapons, and enemies
--Storytelling lacks the style and depth the original had
--No new MP stuff
--Lack a good "shootouts"

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 07:35:05 PM »
Sounds like HL2: EP1....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 07:40:58 PM »
Sounds like HL2: EP1....

Nice observation.

Me, I preferred Sin: Ep One over HL2: Ep One, myself.

HL2: Ep One was good, but yeah -- there wasn't much new there; my big complaint about the game. And HL2: Ep One retails for $10 less than FEAR Expansion ($30) goes for retail price, as well. About the same length, it seems, as FEAR Expansion. FEAR Extraction sounds more like an "episode" than an expansion pack.

You know, I was thinking about going for FEAR Extraction this week -- but at 5 hours, no thank you. That's disappointing. I think I can wait 'til I find it for $10-15, for that kind of lack of content.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 07:44:47 PM »
What's the big deal?  The original game was only maybe 10, so you're getting half that.  That's not a bad ratio for an expansion, even if it *is* a bit on the short side.

Anyway, I don't trust IGN.  Those fuckers said they beat Prey in 4 hours or something, and that was bullshit.  Or maybe it was Condemned.  Either way, bullshit.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 08:11:10 PM »
What's the big deal?  The original game was only maybe 10, so you're getting half that.  That's not a bad ratio for an expansion, even if it *is* a bit on the short side.
5 hours is still short, for $25 (at Best Buy on sale this week) and all. 

Anyway, I don't trust IGN.  Those fuckers said they beat Prey in 4 hours or something, and that was bullshit.  Or maybe it was Condemned.  Either way, bullshit.
Speaking of Condemned, how was that...?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 08:12:28 PM »
Condemned was awesome.  I thought most of the complaints against it were... justified, but overstated.  I had great fun with it all the way through, and there were some truly awesome fights in there, especially toward the end.  Last boss is fucking amazing.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 09:16:02 PM »
Condemned was awesome.  I thought most of the complaints against it were... justified, but overstated.  I had great fun with it all the way through, and there were some truly awesome fights in there, especially toward the end.  Last boss is fucking amazing.
I never got that far.. Something happened and for some reason my save files were all from the previous chapter.. I didn't feel like going through it all again, so I quit.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 09:25:20 PM »
That's a bummer.  Some of it was a little slow, but overall I was very satisfied.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 09:35:16 PM »
I never got that far.. Something happened and for some reason my save files were all from the previous chapter.. I didn't feel like going through it all again, so I quit.

Condemned isn't a long game though, right....?

I think in G-Spot's reviews, they said it was like 7 hours tops....Que, can you verify its game length?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 10:10:10 PM »
It was roughly the length of FEAR, probably a tiny bit shorter.  But it came out cheap when it launched on PC, and it was well worth the price.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 03:27:59 AM »
I think I was only at Chapter 3 or 4.. The reason why I found it tedious is because I was playing like a perfectionist.. I'd try to leave every fight with full health, or at least have full health after I pick up a health pack near by.

It's not a bad game at all. It's a quality game, but I think I just wasn't too keen on it when I played it. I'm gonna try playing it again.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 06:22:46 AM »
That's a shame about it being a bit of a let-down.  I was really looking forward to this.  I also still don't have the original game, so if I ever see some kind of bundle, I'll definately pick it up.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 07:05:17 AM »
That's a shame about it being a bit of a let-down.  I was really looking forward to this. 
I was really looking forward to FEAR Expansion, too.

I still am, but it just sounds too short for me for its pricetag -- otherwise, I'd probably go grab it.

I also still don't have the original game, so if I ever see some kind of bundle, I'll definately pick it up.

I hope if they bundle FEAR w/ the expansion pack, the original FEAR game's on an actual DVD disc -- like just like how the FEAR Collector's Ed is packaged. I doubt anyone wants to shuffle through a bunch of CD's for the installation and all.

I love FEAR. FEAR is one of the best shooters ever. And the story is awesome -- especially the way it's told, mostly through lots of phone messages.

It's kind of a shame that there sounds like there's a lack of those in the expansion, since I really liked that in the original FEAR. Kind of like how it's been said that it's a shame in Doom 3 RoE Expansion that there's the lack of PDA vids, messages, e-mails and junk, which was damn cool in the original Doom 3.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 10:49:21 AM »
8.0 from GameZone

Quote from: GameZone
Another problem is the expansion’s brevity. F.E.A.R. Even for an expansion pack, Extraction Point is very short, and I was able to plow through the campaign in less than four hours. The game doesn’t end nearly as strongly as it begins too. The first few areas (“intervals” as they are called) start off with a bang, filled with frights and intense firefights. However, the last couple of intervals kind of peter off and then the expansion ends.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god