Author Topic: The Mars Volta  (Read 19708 times)

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
The Mars Volta
« on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 07:22:45 PM »
I used to think I liked these guys, because I remember hearing a song or two by them that I liked, but I just grabbed a couple of their albums and a lot of it is just a bunch of shit going on in a recording studio that makes no sense.

Does anybody like these guys?  I don't really understand what's so great about them, because there are some people out there who hail them as the next thing in music.  I see some good stuff here and there, but a lot of it just seems like stupid shit.  Hour-long live renditions of album songs?  At that point, how is it even the same song, because if it sounds the same throughout then I can't imagine enjoying it.

Also, if you like them, recommend me something good to listen to by them.  Maybe I'm missing something here.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: The Mars Volta
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 07:36:13 PM »
You're not missing anything.  I don't like them much either and they are given far too much praise.  That said they aren't extremely horrible but just not anything special.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 07:49:14 PM »
They're an art band and art bands always do this kind of shit.  Same with poetry stuff that flies but is actually a bunch of fucking crap.  Now, I like these guys okay, but they're definitely one of those bands that subscribes to the philosophy that making music more esoteric and abstract makes it better.  I don't believe that for a minute, though I listen to some stuff that really does ride the border of what traditional music really is.  But the stuff I listen to is *tight* and *controlled*, not random chaos.  It may sound chaotic and random, but it isn't.  The difference with these guys is a lot of it *is* just random shit.

So yeah, I dunno'.  I'm a bit on both sides of the fence, but I generally tend to agree with you.

Anyway, the only album I have of theirs is De-Loused in the Comatorium, and I like it well enough.  I don't listen to it that much anymore, but I really love track 6 - Eriatarka.  I fucking love that song.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 08:32:53 PM »
They just seem like one of those bands, who people say they love, to sound intellectual or elitist.  Like they have some better understanding of the world for liking something eccentric.  The singer doesn't have a good voice like I've heard either, he sounds like he's huffing helium as he's recording.

I don't know, they don't sound very good to me though.  I do kind of like one part of "Drunkship of Lanterns" from the same album though, and that's a pretty out-there track.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 08:55:52 PM »
I have De-Loused in the Comatorium, and like it quite a bit. It's all weird and out there, but to a bearable extent. Frances the Mute strays a bit too far from the norm for me. It has good moments, but I can't listen to a whole song.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 09:45:29 PM »
Ren pretty much sums up my feelings about those as well.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 11:51:02 PM »
I love De-loused in the Comatorium. That one took a little getting used to at first, but eventually I just got totally addicted. However Ive tried to get into Francis the Mute and just couldn't, at least I'll get a couple songs in which I liked, but after that like ren says it strays too far into abstract. From what Ive seen theres another out now too but I havent checked it out yet.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 06:45:56 PM »
Two suggestions for you poom, if you're looking for something that's a bit artsy, but *good* and not quite so out there as TMV.

Firstly, a metal band (so a good bit heavier than TMV) that Pyro introduced me to: Sikth.  Death of a Dead Day is a pretty wicked album.  Lot of variety, some great writing, very talented musicians.  Might not be your thing as I don't know your taste in metal (it's a bit... contemporary for my tastes, though I still like it a lot), but worth a shot.

The other is something more along the lines of what TMV seemed to be originally.  They're a band called Oceansize.  I have two of their albums.  They're pretty cool.  More toned down, but still creative.

Offline ender

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 02, 2006, 07:58:20 PM »
I'm a fan. They definitely can get too indulgent. But basically they're a throw back to insanely indulgent 70s prog-rock... while sounding entirely modern and latino influenced. I've liked these guys since they were in At The Drive In. But yeah, I can see how anyone wouldn't like them.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #9 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 10:26:58 AM »
I remember hearing One Armed Scissor on the radio when it came out.  I really like that song, but I never went out and listened to anything else by At the Drive In.