Author Topic: Active Directory NTUSER.dat / .man  (Read 6752 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
Active Directory NTUSER.dat / .man
« on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 03:31:11 AM »
i know there's at least a person or two on here who has dealings with AD, so i have a question.

after you change a user's NTUSER.dat file into a .man, is it possible to change it back again? i have some changes i need to make to an account, but when renaming the file to a .dat the user account screws up on logon (forgets user settings, etc). seems strange that you can rename the file one way, but not back the other...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Active Directory NTUSER.dat / .man
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 05:07:34 AM »
I thought you could change between .dat and .man whenever you wanted.  I haven't messed with it much though.

Edit:  By the way, what does the user profile have to do with Active Directory in this case?
« Last Edit: Friday, April 09, 2010, 11:08:42 AM by scottws »

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Active Directory NTUSER.dat / .man
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, April 11, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »
well the user account is a roaming profile managed by AD. i guess it doesn't really have much bearing on things though.

in the end i just created a duplicate account made the changes and used that instead. i didn't test to see if i could change back and forth between .dat and .man, i was just happy it worked. it might be possible that the original account was corrupt, but it doesn't really matter now.