Author Topic: Yea screw 3D TV.  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Yea screw 3D TV.
« on: Thursday, April 15, 2010, 08:14:42 PM »
http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/15/samsung-issues-warnings-about-3-d-tv/?hpt=Sbin

Pregnant women, drunk people and "those who are sleep deprived" should not watch 3-D television because of potential health issues, electronics manufacturer Samsung says on its Web site.

The company also says people at risk for stroke or epileptic seizures should consult a medical professional before watching TV in three dimensions.

Samsung and Panasonic began selling the first 3-D TVs in the U.S. last month.

The warnings come as other TV manufacturers are set to debut 3-D home entertainment systems this year. When watching 3-D TV, users wear special glasses with lenses that open and close rapidly to produce an image that appears to leap off of the screen.

Some of Samsung's warnings apply to everyone:

"Viewing 3D television may also cause motion sickness, perceptual after effects, disorientation, eye strain and decreased postural stability," the Web site message says. "It is recommended that users take frequent breaks to lessen the potential of these effects. If your eyes show signs of fatigue or dryness or if you have any of the above symptoms, immediately discontinue use of this device and do not resume using it for at least thirty minutes after the symptoms have subsided."

The TV maker also says wearing its 3-D glasses in normal situations, when you're not watching 3-D TV, "may be physically harmful to you and may weaken your eyesight."

The warning suggests that some 3-D TV viewers could become so disoriented that they could fall and hurt themselves:

"Viewing in 3-D may cause disorientation for some viewers," the warning says. "Accordingly, DO NOT place your TV television near open stairwells, cables, balconies, or other objects that can be tripped over, run into, knocked down, broken or fallen over."

The first sentence alone rules out Raisa and Gandhi [because he is drunk all the time].

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Yea screw 3D TV.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 15, 2010, 08:33:43 PM »
I saw a 3DTV this past weekend at Best Buy and put them glasses on and all. Monsters Vs. Aliens was in 3D. Oh man - it looked awesome in 3D, I must admit.

But, hell no @ the current high price for the 3DTV (over $3000) and then you gotta' buy the glasses alone (around $150) or a starter kit w/ multiple glasses.

Plus, this is still mad-early tech. They probably still need to work out the kinks, issues, and whatnot - like most "Beta" products rushed onto the market...

About the hazards you quoted - that's damn crazy...

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 15, 2010, 09:49:44 PM »
I'm not surprised.  When I tried those glasses I didn't feel anything, but it was for a short period of time, but I started thinking about what it would be like to watch an entire movie or game for several hours using 3D glasses.  It becomes pretty apparent that eye strain and dizziness/disorientation could occur quite easily.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 15, 2010, 10:44:41 PM »
It's different for different people. When I went to see Avatar (3 hours long, I think), I wore the glasses the whole time and never felt eye strain. My mother and brother said they both had to take them off a couple times to rest their eyes.

I like the result of 3D, but the cost and inconvenience are too much of a pain for it to be worth it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 15, 2010, 11:02:53 PM »
I'm going to buy those glasses, wear them every day, and then sue their asses for BIG MONEY.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 15, 2010, 11:05:05 PM »
Very different circumstances.  The 3D film projection only needs passive filtering lenses to get the effect.  3D TV uses 2 alternating LCD shutters on your face at 60 Hz apiece.  I can see that ping-pong strobing getting hard on you after a while.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 16, 2010, 12:38:26 AM »
I can see that ping-pong strobing getting hard on you after a while.
Haha you said hard on :P And somewhere in "ping-pong strobing" there's "probing" :D I keed I keed!

But yes, I do agree the costs on health and finances make 3DTV not a worthwhile investment. At least not in its current iteration.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 10:13:05 PM »
they don't even have all the channels in HD yet (true HD, widescreen and 1080p)... so no thanks.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 05:48:07 AM »
The ATSC broadcast standard can't do 1080p at 60 Hz.  Not enough bandwidth.  720p or 1080i only (@60Hz).  1080p needs other delivery methods, like Blu-ray and subscriptions to some digital service.  So don't expect either 720p or 1080p at 120 Hz through normal reception anytime soon.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 01:54:42 PM »
I'm going to buy those glasses, wear them every day, and then sue their asses for BIG MONEY.

I'm sure some lawyers are going to want to take note of this post of yours... :P