Author Topic: Where can I find info on LCD TVs?  (Read 2075 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Where can I find info on LCD TVs?
« on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 07:07:29 PM »
I remember when I wanted to buy a monitor Pug had a great site with a ton of info, and even suggestions based on what the screen would be used for. I could use something like that for HDTVs. I want to pick up a small (19-21" or so) screen to put on my desk, for use with my Xbox 360, and playing movies/watching TV.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Where can I find info on LCD TVs?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 09:26:21 PM »
I use a 23" 16:9 LCD TV on the desk right in front of me, and I think that's perfect.  I use it as a PC monitor too.  (I've talked about this before.)  It has inputs for HDMI, component, PC ("VGA"), video & S-video.  You probably want something like that.  You can get a full 1080p set now in this size (1920x1080).  Mine is 720p with an odd native res (1366x768).  Check out Samsung and Vizio among others.  Make sure it supports the inputs you want, and might want eventually.  An audio out is also a must.  Small-TV speakers invariably suck.  You're going to want good PC speakers flanking this thing.

Edit:  Found a pic I took of the rear panel.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 09:48:44 PM »
Yea I use the same screen for gaming and my PC right now. My problems are: lack of inputs (both in quantity and variety: 1 DVI and 1 VGA), and that I want a second screen (downtime during MMOs, watch TV while browsing the web, etc)

What's the model of the one you have? And does it have too much noticeable input lag?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 11:31:21 PM »
I remember when I wanted to buy a monitor Pug had a great site with a ton of info, and even suggestions based on what the screen would be used for. I could use something like that for HDTVs. I want to pick up a small (19-21" or so) screen to put on my desk, for use with my Xbox 360, and playing movies/watching TV.

I didn't know they made HDTVs that small that weren't LCDs cum monitors.

I wish I knew a website like that for HDTVs though.

The thing is that it is a bigger lottery with monitors, so you have to do your research. Basically, there is very little consistency in quality with LCD monitors, and you have to be careful, as manufacturers make a lot of sacrifices to meet lower price points. Some like Samsung, were conducting what I consider to be fraud. 

If you are getting a 32"+ HDTV, as long as it is a good brand, and an 8-bit panel you should be fine with a bit of research. Samsungs seem to be the best. Most HDTVs are a lot more consistent than LCD monitors in terms of quality. 

If you want to use your console and opt for an LCD monitor instead of an HDTV, just do your research...

Here is the anandtech long running thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=39226

Keep in mind that a 22" LCD monitor with a great panel (S-IPS which is used on proper HDTVs), will be better than a 24 inch monitor with a cheap TN panel.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 30, 2010, 12:12:24 AM »
Well, the ONLY thing making me want a TV instead of just using a monitor, is that I want to be able to hook up my old game consoles to it. If I could get a better selection of imputs on a monitor, it would be fine. The tuner, I will likely never use. I haven't changed the channels on a television set in over a decade. It's always game consoles, DVD players, or a cable box of some sort. Never the TV.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 30, 2010, 12:20:52 AM »
Yea I use the same screen for gaming and my PC right now. My problems are: lack of inputs (both in quantity and variety: 1 DVI and 1 VGA), and that I want a second screen (downtime during MMOs, watch TV while browsing the web, etc)

What's the model of the one you have? And does it have too much noticeable input lag?

It's Samsung.  It has a game mode, which is supposed to minimize lag.  I can't say that I've compared it with an analog CRT, though.  It works well for me.

Pug is right about the need for research.  Something that has everything you want, including a low-lag game mode, is going to be more expensive than what you see advertised for cheap all the time.  I made the mistake of getting a cheap Acer 22" monitor first.  TN panel.  Ugh!  I ended up keeping it as a 2nd monitor, to fill in just like what you want to do.  When I'm using the TV for something other than the PC, I can turn on the Acer, which is hooked up to the PC through DVI.  The Nvidia card has both outputs, and I have the DVI out set up to be a clone of the VGA out.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 30, 2010, 02:03:09 AM »
My monitor is an LG L227WTG, which is TN. Maybe I just haven't had the chance to use a better screen, but this thing looks as good as, if not better than my old Sony Trinitron CRT did. I play my Xbox 360 on it daily, and notice no input lag or ghosting. (the listed response time I think is 2ms) My only gripe with it is the glossy screen is a glare magnet.

I'm actually starting to think I'd be better off with a budget monitor. I wouldn't be able to hook up my old consoles to it, but I haven't used them in so long I won't be missing out if I go a while longer without a TV to hook them up to. A monitor, I could use for TV (provided it has an HDMI poort) and my Xbox, which is really all I'm wanting. If I do go that route, I'd be tempted to go with LG just because of how please I am with the one I already have. EDIT: aww shit, I just realized if I got a monitor I wouldn't have speakers, or even an output to go to some PC speakers.

EDIT: Actually I have no idea if my LG is a TN screen or not.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 30, 2010, 03:00:09 AM by W7RE »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Friday, April 30, 2010, 05:12:50 AM »
I use a 23" 16:9 LCD TV on the desk right in front of me, and I think that's perfect.  I use it as a PC monitor too.  (I've talked about this before.)  It has inputs for HDMI, component, PC ("VGA"), video & S-video.  You probably want something like that.  You can get a full 1080p set now in this size (1920x1080).  Mine is 720p with an odd native res (1366x768).  Check out Samsung and Vizio among others.  Make sure it supports the inputs you want, and might want eventually.  An audio out is also a must.  Small-TV speakers invariably suck.  You're going to want good PC speakers flanking this thing.

Edit:  Found a pic I took of the rear panel.

Word of warning about Vizio:  all of the Vizio TVs I've tried to connect to with a Vista or Windows 7 computer did not work.  Worked fine on XP though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 30, 2010, 09:00:10 AM »
HDMI or VGA?  HDMI is a clusterfuck that serves only big copyright holders (and not well).  All the hardware and software have to be one happy family for it to work.  If it doesn't work through VGA either, then I don't know what's up. 

W7RE, lag is not just a function of panel response time.  That's 8 ms or less on anything worth buying.  The bigger issue is the delay introduced by processing the image so it looks good on the fixed-pixel display.  I have a related story.  I helped Sandy buy a couple of Vizio LCDs.  The first was a 19" for the kitchen.  Her kitchen is near her den, and you can hear that TV in the den, where an old CRT TV sat (before we replaced that with a 42" plasma).  When tuning both TVs to the same analog cable channel, there's a disturbingly long echo.  I don't mean an ambient-type echo, but more like a PA-system-like echo.  You hear one, then a long fraction of a second later, you hear the other.  That's the processing delay in the LCD TV.*  For TV channels, movies, etc, it doesn't matter, because they're not interactive.  So it makes sense that the software would put time and effort into polishing the display as much as possible.  But for real-time games, that's a joy killer.

(BTW, the plasma-TV's delay is about the same as the LCD's.  We can have both TVs tuned to the same analog or digital channel now.)

* And of course, the audio gets the same delay added to keep in sync with the picture.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Friday, April 30, 2010, 09:04:27 AM »
VGA.  At best the display would flicker on every once in awhile.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Friday, April 30, 2010, 09:10:09 AM »
That just plain sucks.  Thanks for the heads up.  I assume you tried native res, 60 Hz and all that.  No excuse, really.  VGA = component + H sync + V sync.  How easy can it get, for a TV that supports component?