Author Topic: The Dead Weather - Horehound  (Read 4690 times)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
The Dead Weather - Horehound
« on: Friday, July 17, 2009, 07:24:54 PM »
Jack White's new gig.  New album hit this week.  It's legit boys and girls.  Jam city.  Not generally for frontwomen but Alison Mossheart is pretty awesome, and cute too.

The Dead Weather is an American alternative rock supergroup formed in Nashville, Tennessee in 2009. Comprising of Alison Mosshart (of The Kills), Jack White (of The White Stripes and The Raconteurs), Dean Fertita (of Queens of the Stone Age) and Jack Lawrence (of The Raconteurs and The Greenhornes); The Dead Weather was revealed to the public at the opening of Third Man Records' Nashville headquarters on March 11, 2009. The band performed live for the first time at the event, immediately before releasing their debut single "Hang You from the Heavens".

I've got a huge mancrush on Jack White right now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The Dead Weather - Horehound
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 17, 2009, 07:34:18 PM »
I have never heard of any of those people, but you can sign me up for this any day:

All my current favorite leading ladies are no longer performing, or got with groups I don't care so much for.  I need a new one... I'll have to check these folks out.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 17, 2009, 07:53:14 PM »
You've never heard of Jack White?  The White Stripes?

And yeah, smokes like a freight train...which kinda makes her hotter.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 17, 2009, 09:47:33 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 17, 2009, 11:13:22 PM »
Yeah, it does make her hotter.  That doesn't make sense... but whatever.

And you must remember, I'm a metalhead and jazz guy, and occasionally some really obscure rock that most people haven't heard of.  The White Stripes aren't exactly in my usual area.  I'm either listening to Meshuggah and Testament, or Velour 100 and Starflyer 59, or Coltrane and Brubeck.

If it's been played on a radio station that more than 10 people listen to, I've probably never heard it.

EDIT - Actually, some of this shit is pretty good.  They got some groove.  I could get behind this.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 12:19:02 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 07:30:05 AM »
This is the video that convinced me that The White Stripes were legit.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 19, 2009, 07:14:19 PM »
So I listened to the whole album today and after my initial pass off of it from checking out songs in the thread, I actually rather like it. Of course this isnt the first time music has surprised me like that and it always makes me wonder what other music Ive missed out to appreciate. So yea, its pretty groovy, I really like the jamming in New Pony and 60 Feet Tall, and the variety never goes outside of its bounds and comes out with something interesting all the time. I think I may check out the White Stripes now.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 19, 2009, 07:40:44 PM »
Don't go into the White Stripes thinking it's going to be more of The Dead Weather.  They're mainly a blues rock/garage act.

I think Jack White participates in all of these side projects to quell his creative appetite without overstepping the self-imposed musical limitations of the White Stripes.

Acts in order of bringing the rock:

White Stripes
Dead Weather
The Raconteurs

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 19, 2009, 09:44:21 PM »
Well no I don't expect them to. The Dead Weather already goes well outside my bounds for musical taste. I'm just curious to here more from this Jack White fellow.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Monday, July 20, 2009, 04:44:26 AM »
I like them. Based on the first single I was a bit disappointed because it sounded like Jack White took over completely and I was hoping for more of The Kills sound. The cd proved that wrong though, it's pretty clear that they all contributed going through.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #10 on: Monday, July 20, 2009, 07:23:47 AM »
Well no I don't expect them to. The Dead Weather already goes well outside my bounds for musical taste. I'm just curious to here more from this Jack White fellow.

Lets see. Start with:

De Stijl
Elephant (a lot of people would disagree with me on this, but i feel like it's their most accessible album, plus it has Ball and Biscuit)
White Blood Cells
Icky Thump
Self-titled
Get Behind Me Satan

Oh, and did anyone else notice the guitar he's playing on in that video above?  It's an Airline.  Plastic guitar, sold in department stores for like 30 bucks in the 60's.  Doesn't even have a truss rod.  Just a small piece of wood inside for support. 

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 09:52:29 AM »
To contain all of my Jack White mancrush in one thread, this is the site for the new doc he's part of. 

http://www.sonyclassics.com/itmightgetloud/

I'm very interested to see it.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 11:56:32 AM »
I heard that documentary's supposed to be really good; I plan on seeing it as well.

After a few listens I Cut Like a Buffalo is my favourite track. I was surprised to find out that Jack White was the writer. Also strange that Hang You From The Heavens isn't a Jack White song, it sounds a lot more like something he would write than the other three.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 08:44:22 PM »
I've had a listen to this. I prefer White Stripes over this, but its got some good tracks. I like Treat Me Like Your Mother.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 03:19:08 PM »
I picked this up the other day just to have something in the car to listen to that isn't the radio, and I'm fucking into it.  110 pounds of badass.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, May 06, 2010, 07:13:44 PM »
New Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards hits May 11.  Looks to be another album chock full of jam city.

2 albums in less than a year.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, May 06, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »
I saw that the other day... thought that was crazy.  Hope it's as good as this last one was.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #17 on: Monday, May 17, 2010, 08:45:55 AM »
Ok, so I've made the half-conscious decision to buy only vinyl from here on out.  A lot of new releases are coming with download codes to get MP3's of the music legally, so it makes little sense for me to buy CD's any more.

Well, Sea of Cowards released on Tuesday.  I was going to buy the regular edition but word got out through the Vault (Third Man Records subscription service) that Third Man was going to release 300 copies of Sea of Cowards on split color vinyl and sell them from the shop on Saturday.  Well, living in Lebanon I had absolutely no excuse to not go.  I've been wanting to see the store for a while and this was the perfect excuse.  I spoke to a buddy of mine who has an "in" at Third Man who said line up at 9 AM (store opens at 12).

Well, I arrived half an hour early at 8:30 and this is what greeted me:

(click to show/hide)

So getting there early was a good move.  More people started rolling in and around 10 or so the line stretched around the block.  People were pulling in with license plates from Missouri and Texas.  People planned entire weekends around this.  Anyhow, a few other buddies from another message board arrived and we patiently waited in the hot sun.  During which time I grabbed this pic of a nearby dumpster which gives you an idea of what kind of part of town TMR resides:

(click to show/hide)

Well, noon rolled around and they started letting people in.  Initially only 5 at a time.  The shop is incredibly small and could probably only fit around 10-15 with any sort of comfort. 

(click to show/hide)

Third Man Records was very wary regarding people buying these albums to flip.  So much in fact that they apparently had been keeping tabs by looking at eBay and seeking out people in line to talk to them.  By the 10th or 15th person there was already a listing up on eBay.  They actively seek out these sellers on eBay and message boards and if they can find out who they are they will refuse service to them.  Which is kind of cool in a way, but at the same time they're perpetuating this problem by doing these limited releases to begin with.

I got into the store around 1PM and here is the fruit of my labor.  I got sunburned pretty badly but it was still worth it.

(click to show/hide)

Made a few friends standing in line too.  I'll definitely be rejoining the Third Man subscription service.  They do shows at TMR for members and things like that.  In fact just the previous week Dead Weather did a performance for about 200 members in this very place.  You also are guaranteed a 12" album, 7" single, and some other thing like a print or t-shirt every 3 months that are limited to the premium sub members only.

All in all a great time.  Glad I did it.  Paid 25 bucks for the record and they're selling for much more than that on eBay.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
Sounds like your getting the serious hookup, your vinyl collection is getting pretty impressive, and the pick of the dumpster is classic.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 06:43:51 AM »
Yeah this past weekend basically maxed out the space I have for storing vinyl, and I've already gone through and discarded or traded in the crap I had.  Of course if this house thing works out then I won't be able to go out on Saturday mornings like this and drop 150 bucks on vinyl any more, so it will work out.