Author Topic: replaced DVD drive = computer won't boot?  (Read 7691 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
replaced DVD drive = computer won't boot?
« on: Friday, May 21, 2010, 12:20:17 AM »
Current problem: If I restart or shut off my computer, during bootup it hangs on the screen with the motherboard logo. If I press Del for BIOS, it says it's loading it but never does. If I press TAB to show the boot process, it detects all my drives (slowly), then hangs and never loads. If I quickly press TAB and then F8 (for "boot options"), I get prompted to select a "first boot device". I select anything from there and Windows loads. Everything, including the new SATA DVD drive, works fine once I'm in Windows. If I restart or shutdown, I get the same problem again on bootup.

How I got here: IDE DVD drive wouldn't read discs. So I bought a Lite-On SATA DVD drive to replace it. Unplugged the power, IDE and sound card cables from the IDE, put in the SATA and plugged in power and used the SATA cable that came with it to plug it into my motherboard. The DVD drive was the slave on a cable with a hard drive that was set to master. I didn't do anything with the HDD jumper or anything, I just unplugged the IDE cable from the DVD drive and that's it.

So right now it's all working, but it would be nice (and make me feel better) if I knew I could restart without this happening.

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: replaced DVD drive = computer won't boot?
« Reply #1 on: Friday, May 21, 2010, 01:44:02 AM »
Have you tried resetting the cmos?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Friday, May 21, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »
Have you tried resetting the cmos?

Yea I did, I think. The CMOS button on my motherboard clicks in and stays when I press it, and then pops back out to it's normal position when I press it again. Do I want to press it twice while the PC is off, or just press it once then boot up?

BTW not sure if it matters, but this system is running Windows XP Pro (32 bit).

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Friday, May 21, 2010, 05:54:35 PM »
Also try disconnecting USB hdds or USB devices with flash card readers (some printers have these).

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Friday, May 21, 2010, 06:03:46 PM »
Yea I disconnected my iPod and Xbox wireless USB connector, leaving my mouse as my only USB device.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 08:39:44 AM »
Only things I can think of at this point, troubleshooting in order from the top:

• Need an updated motherboard BIOS.
  • Need updated firmware for the new drive.
  • Bad DVD+/-RW drive.  Replace.
  • Bad motherboard.  Replace or get a PCI or PCIe SATA controller.