Author Topic: FIFA world cup in South Africa  (Read 16843 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: FIFA world cup in South Africa
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 03:11:34 PM »
THOSE FUCKING HORNS NEED TO FUCKING STOP JESUS FUCKING CHRIST THEY ARE SO FUCKING ANNOYING  IS EVERY FUCKING AFRICAN IN THE STADIUM PLAYING THESE FUCKING THINGS

*cough*

Hehe!  I agree.  And yes, I think every goddamned South African's goal in life must be to drive Westerners crazy with those fucking horns.  Here's hoping they never get to host the World Cup again.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 05:22:18 PM »
That was fucking shocking. Bad bad bad.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, June 13, 2010, 11:08:11 AM »
Hahahah the USA vs ENG game was just awesome.

First of all, South Korea look really good. Park Ji Sung who plays for Manchester United has clearly gotten very good. South Korea should give Argentina a tough time in their next game.

Argentina started well against Nigeria, but the big issue is their midfielder, Veron, is looking in terrible form. The guy is 36, and had an embarrassing game. He replaced Riquelme, one of the best playmakers (attacking midfielders like Veron, who set up forwards like Messi) around, but Veron is past it. Riquelme was dropped because Maradona who is coach had a massive fight with him.

Overall Argentina were OK, but their defense needs to tighten up. A better team would have scored against them. Their striker Higuain (plays for the Italian club Real Madrid) needs to shape up as well. Messi set him up twice and he just missed easy chances.

Messi himself was great, but just had trouble finishing.

Overall Argentina were a bit disappointing. They play much better than this, and the match was a bit dull.

Regarding the horns, I don't mind them... used to them I guess, but they are annoying a lot of people. France is blaming them for their poor showing. Their coach and captain had trouble communicating.

USA vs Eng...

When the Argentina match started, four of my cousins and my two siblings came by as well, so that was cool.

We all watched the USA vs Eng match, with half of us with Eng (English premier league fans), with the other half supporting USA, the underdogs. So yea, the match was probably the best of the world cup so far. The ball was end to end all night, with both teams playing exciting football.

Donovan is a great midfielder, and he was pretty good. The USA defense was mostly excellent, though they had a serious lapse of concentration early on, when Gerrard got through.

I have no idea why Heskey was playing for England. Few could believe it when he was picked... he missed a lot of chances.

Robert Green has made a ton of mistakes in the English Premier League, and even made a big one three years ago.

The problem for England is that their reserve keepers are actually worse.

It was just shocking when he let one in.

Great match overall.

Germany play Australia in 15 minutes. I'd expect it to go 1-0 in favor of Germany. Germany unfortunately lost a few key players to injury, so I am not expecting the match to be very exciting.

Whats with the overall plus and negative points?

Wha?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, June 13, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »
Anyone watching Germany vs Australia right now? Very exciting from football from Germany so far. Leading 2-0 in 20 minutes with quite a few opportunities on top.

Germany lost four key players including skipper Ballack and first choice keeper, but they look really amazing so far.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, June 13, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8737455.stm

THANK

YOU

GOD

that it is even being considered.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, June 13, 2010, 01:38:17 PM »
What a masterclass from Germany. Due to the sudden injuries, a few 20 year olds got to play, and did really well. 4-0...

Yea I hope the ban goes into effect...

The stuff is making news though...

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/vuvuzela-drone-killing-world-cup-atmosphere?GT1=39011

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, June 13, 2010, 01:48:50 PM »
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, June 13, 2010, 01:54:58 PM »
hahaha

I can't believe people are so annoyed by this. I've seen a lot of cricket played in South Africa, so I am more used to it I guess. :P

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, June 13, 2010, 02:13:54 PM »
My girlfriend and I had a bet on South Korea vs Greece. Now she has to buy me korean bbq. If Greece had won I would have had to eat Greek food. (which i dont mind)

I did like a headline in one of the British tabloids today that read "The Hand of Clod" with a picture of a defeated Green.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: Monday, June 14, 2010, 05:32:30 AM »
Own goal. And Denmark was playing such a great defensive game the first half.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #50 on: Monday, June 14, 2010, 06:15:03 AM »
hahaha

I can't believe people are so annoyed by this. I've seen a lot of cricket played in South Africa, so I am more used to it I guess. :P
Haha yeah, this is from last year:

"There is of course the smaller variety which sounds like a duck on speed..." Hahahaha ;D

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #51 on: Monday, June 14, 2010, 06:45:17 AM »
Haha yeah, this is from last year:

"There is of course the smaller variety which sounds like a duck on speed..." Hahahaha ;D

haha I didn't find it annoying till that video...

Own goal. And Denmark was playing such a great defensive game the first half.

Yea I was watching. The defender was laughing after that happened, but I bet that made his team's supporters angrier. :P

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 12:32:45 AM »
I've watched very little football / soccer and I don't know much about the game - I can diagnose how the offense is exploiting the defense, what they are doing right and wrong and so forth. But I have yet to understand how teams set up (for instance, a 3-2 defense in basketball - I think there is similar here).

And I don't know why teams are so stagnant - are some not good enough to move quickly or are they just waiting for an opening?

I guess I'm confused because I can watch sports like hokey and basketball - which I don't watch often - and understand whats going on. But most games I've watched during the world cup I feel like teams are playing soft - they are too scared.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 06:48:56 AM »
I have to say that the England/USA game didn't do much to win over new American soccer fans.  It seemed oddly dull.  I told Sandy before the game that soccer is very animated and could be quite exciting, but the experience didn't quite deliver.  Maybe it was the coverage?

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 07:57:47 AM »
It was a pretty good game but the low scoring and lack of dominance by any one team might have made it harder for a newcomer to enjoy. Maybe try a more one-sided game so you can see the goal-scoring strategies through to completion. It'll give you a bit more context to appreciate matches among evenly matched teams. Brazil v. North Korea tonight might fit the bill.

I've watched very little football / soccer and I don't know much about the game - I can diagnose how the offense is exploiting the defense, what they are doing right and wrong and so forth. But I have yet to understand how teams set up (for instance, a 3-2 defense in basketball - I think there is similar here).

There are many formations but most of them are variants of either 4-3-3 or 4-3-2. The order is Defence-Midfield-Striker. You can put levels between those levels and change the formation from straight lines to make it more complex.

And I don't know why teams are so stagnant - are some not good enough to move quickly or are they just waiting for an opening?

I guess I'm confused because I can watch sports like hokey and basketball - which I don't watch often - and understand whats going on. But most games I've watched during the world cup I feel like teams are playing soft - they are too scared.

I don't see the slowness as much different as when a hockey team spends tens of seconds past the blue line passing it back and forth. There's lots of build-up and then somebody breaks through.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 12:26:56 PM »
To be honest, club football like the English Premier League can be more exciting.

The thing is that these are opening games, and no one wants to lose. There is so much at stake. Trust me, come the knockout stage (round of 16, followed by quarter finals and so on), the games will be far more exciting.

As for formations, you have eleven players. Typically four are defenders, four take up various midfield positions, and two are strikers.

Normally the two wides defenders (left back and right back) also run up to midfield and attacking positions depending on the match situation.

The Germany match was really exciting.

I am watching the North Korea match at the moment.... wtf? Is it just me or the North Koreans look frightened to death of losing?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 04:21:54 PM »
France lost and may be out of the world cup.

Argentina playing exciting football and beat Korea 4-1.

It was a very entertaining match.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 10:25:53 PM »
France lost and may be out of the world cup.

Good. They were utterly useless.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #58 on: Friday, June 18, 2010, 01:10:18 AM »
Good. They were utterly useless.

You sound surprised. This is FRANCE we are talking about.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #59 on: Friday, June 18, 2010, 01:27:07 AM »
france were an awesome team up until recently. they won the world cup in 98, the uefa in 2000 and confederations in 2003. their current team, however, does suck.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #60 on: Friday, June 18, 2010, 02:07:24 AM »
Yea they were last year's world cup finalists. Zidane (the guy who was redcarded in the final for headbutting the Italian defender) was a great footballer.

They still have some great players like Ribery, Henry, Anelka, Gourcuff up front and some world class defenders, but they just don't seem to be getting it right on the field with the manager playing extremely defensively. There are also rumors of infighting.

Plus Ribery (who has been called the jewel of France), has a court case pending for having sex with an underage prostitute. He says he did do that with her, but didn't know she was underage at the time.

Here is Zhia Dehar, the girl:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Zahia+Dehar&btnG=Google+Search

Apparently it was Ribery's birthday present or something. With the court case pushed till after the world cup, and a few other squad members involved, I bet it is on their minds.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 18, 2010, 02:38:40 AM by Pugnate »

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #61 on: Friday, June 18, 2010, 09:27:55 AM »
The USA should have won that, I have no idea why that goal was called back. Also, fuck Slovenia. They played such a dirty game. That yellow right outside the box should've been a red.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #62 on: Friday, June 18, 2010, 12:18:07 PM »
Now that was an exciting match.

Horrible officiating I agree. USA should make it through though, and I hope they go far (as long as it is not at the expense of Argentina).  :P

edit:

Am watching England play Algeria just now. I am sure Beo is watching. Despite my support for the underdogs, I hope England do win because I want to see Beo's team go ahead.

But yea, trash talking Algerian football was probably a mistake, as they've come out fired up and played pretty well in the first half. Nil Nil so far.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #63 on: Friday, June 18, 2010, 01:31:37 PM »
That was fucking abysmal.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #64 on: Friday, June 18, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »
Yea what a terrible match. England were so dominant in the qualifiers. Beat Croatia (a much better team than Algeria) 5-1.

Very uninspired today.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 05:15:43 PM »
Devuvuzelator
Sick of the vuvuzela? Me too. Just download and run the program below to filter your World Cup live broadcast in real-time (ESPN3, BBC, etc), choosing which level of de-vuvuzela'ing filtering you find most suitable. No installation required, just download and run!

Developed by Jeff Bargmann of Stardock in collaboration with the Centre for Digital Music at Queen Mary, University of London.

Interested in learning more about the audio properties of the vuvuzuela? If so, be sure to visit the original post at Isophonics. Enjoy the cup!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 06:54:34 PM »
Someone should send that link to the TV networks.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 07:23:15 PM »
America got fucked.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: Monday, June 21, 2010, 03:13:37 PM »
man the English side is destroying itself from the inside. when you publicly call out your manager and he tells you to stfu, its not good.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #69 on: Monday, June 21, 2010, 03:18:35 PM »
Yea man, what the hell is going on?

First it was France, and now England.

When I saw England play Algeria, it was almost as if England were buckling under pressure. These same guys crush such opposition in the premier league.

Greece play Argentina tomorrow. Can't wait.

Argentina should win 5-0 I think heh.

Korea also play Nigeria. Winner should progress with Argie.

The last two matches from each group will happen simultaneously.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #70 on: Monday, June 21, 2010, 09:46:01 PM »
England has been horrible in both games.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 07:26:11 PM »

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 07:51:08 AM »
ANOTHER goal gets taken away from the US team. It's half right now and a pretty exciting match so far, although we should have scored since we've had so many opportunities.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 07:58:55 AM »
Yea, a do or die situation for both USA and England.

England just scored, and look like winning, so I imagine Beo will get laid tonight.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »
OH My GOD WHAT A GAME! USA SCORES IN THE FINAL MINUTE OF INJURY TIME!

Unbelievable game. USA wins 1-0 and are in the final 16 knock out stage. Crazy stuff.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
Haha. Nice.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 12:47:46 PM »
OH My GOD WHAT A GAME! USA SCORES IN THE FINAL MINUTE OF INJURY TIME!

Unbelievable game. USA wins 1-0 and are in the final 16 knock out stage. Crazy stuff.

it was the first minute of injury time...still impressive

very, very happy that it was the U.S and England that got through! Even more glad the U.S won the group as we avoid Germany next game.

GL WITH THAT ENGLAND.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 01:48:58 PM »
Not only do you avoid England, but you play Ghana and then probably Uraguy in the quarters... have the semis waiting on a silver platter.

Because this is the final round and every team is now desperate to win, we are seeing some awesome matches.

Nigeria vs Korea was great, and Australia vs Serbia was phenomenal.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 06:50:25 PM »
USA has been playing well. I've really enjoyed their matches. Glad they made it to 16.

I hope Germany destroys England. Thank you. :)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 08:43:18 PM »
We have been playing well but we need to finish - we had so many opportunities that game to score before then. It was sensational of course but we had three EASY goals throughout that should have gone in and we just couldn't finish.

Also we need to work on transition defense - I understand we were playing aggressive this game (and for good reason) but we need to get back quicker next game. We gave them too much this game.