Author Topic: Lesbian children better adjusted.  (Read 9334 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Lesbian children better adjusted.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, June 07, 2010, 12:44:35 PM »
I stopped reading here:

Funding for the research came from several lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender advocacy groups, such as the Gill Foundation and the Lesbian Health Fund from the Gay Lesbian Medical Association.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 07, 2010, 01:35:10 PM »
No accidental pregnancies, and you go through a lot of screenings and evaluations when you get artificial insemination (or adoption, but this apparently didn't cover that). And its not cheap. All those kids are a conscious decision, which I'm sure skews the results in favor of the lesbian parents when compared to the "forgot the condom on prom night" parents.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 07, 2010, 01:36:43 PM »
I see you've been reading Freakanomics too. :P

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 07, 2010, 09:39:55 PM »
No accidental pregnancies, and you go through a lot of screenings and evaluations when you get artificial insemination (or adoption, but this apparently didn't cover that). And its not cheap. All those kids are a conscious decision, which I'm sure skews the results in favor of the lesbian parents when compared to the "forgot the condom on prom night" parents.

This was my first thought as well. It's no surprise that people who have to overcome a large amount of discrimination and put in a lot of effort to get kids are better parents. This study should be done comparing them against other adopted kids by straight parents.

That said, I don't see much of a reason why straight parents would be better than gay parents.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 07, 2010, 09:57:36 PM »
I stopped reading here:

You and me both.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 07, 2010, 10:47:42 PM »
My sister is a lesbian and having a baby.  I do feel her kid will probably be better adjusted because my sister spent at least $80,000 trying to have that kid.  That's a big investment you don't want to fuck up and she had a lot of time to walk away on the sunk costs if she was at all concerned about if it was a good idea.  Some people I know, on the other hand, had kids because they just didn't know what the fuck else to do and really aren't the best parent (not that I'd REALLY know what that entails).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 09, 2010, 04:15:53 AM »
Eighty thousand?

My god.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 09, 2010, 11:06:22 PM »
SCIENCE.

And one failed adoption attempt.

Offline Folk

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 02:54:11 PM »
This was my first thought as well. It's no surprise that people who have to overcome a large amount of discrimination and put in a lot of effort to get kids are better parents. This study should be done comparing them against other adopted kids by straight parents.

That said, I don't see much of a reason why straight parents would be better than gay parents.
There's always the constant pressure in the back of a lesbian parent's head that society is watching their every move too.

I dunno, there are bad parents and screwed up kids from all different family types.  I think luck, be it genetic or environmental, has more to do with how a kid turns out than anything else.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 12:09:26 AM »
I can agree with that absolutely.  It's one of those things where you can't do anything to ensure that it'll turn out right, but you sure as shit can make sure it ends up fubar. 

Gay parents who actually made the decision to have kids that way (as opposed to gay parents who were in the closet when they had kids) probably are less likely to fuck the kids up in certain ways because they had to make a very distinct decision, and like you said, are aware that they'll be judged by a different standard. 

But seriously, it's not a constant, but with my generation/people my age I have noticed a direct correlation between how many kids they have and how clueless the are. Also, a lot of them are single and/or miserable. DON'T RUSH INTO SHIT.  You have the rest of your life to start a family. 

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 12:24:30 AM »
Given that the most clueless have the most kids, how does that bode for the human race?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 12:49:52 AM »
Not well at all.  Well, not well for North America. Different cultures are probably different, just as there are certainly generational differences.  I know in small towns it's pretty much the norm, but in the city?  No, in the city most people in their 20's are setting up their lives, and investing in their, and their potential future children's lives (or just partying). But, and this may sound like a dick move, those who decide to pump out 4 kids right out of highschool...well, you have to wonder what the fuck they are thinking.  You don't have a career, you haven't really experienced all that much, and that guy/girl you're with is probably someone you don't really know. A lot can go wrong there.

Don't get me wrong, I do get that for some people, raising a family is the only real worthwhile goal and basically the purpose of their life.  There's nothing wrong with that, but you kind of have to set it up these days. It's like if you want to be a doctor;  you don't just go and drop resumes off at hospitals or open up your own clinic...there's a process you go through.

Now, that's not to say that everyone that takes this route is an idiot....I'm just saying I've noticed a correlation. Insert Boys in The Hood quote here. 

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 07:54:47 AM »
Cobra's post reminds me of Idiocracy.  Sometimes I really do think that's where the human race is headed.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 08:42:13 AM »
Well certainly the racial and cultural makeup of the country are going to change within 20-30 years.  White professionals are delaying having children for several reasons, like careers, the good life and "finding themselves".  Then they'll have 1.7 kids per couple or the like.  Meanwhile, the Great Unwashed, with a more colorful diversity, pump the pups out regularly.  Add millions of indigent illegals that both political parties allow in fairly unchallenged.  It doesn't take a genius to see where that's headed.  Idiocracy indeed.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 07:30:42 PM »
Yeah, it's no good.  Really nothing you can do about it, but the good news is that intelligence, for the most part, isn't genetic.  Neither is ambition but that has to be taught and I think that's where the most damage will be done.

Offline Folk

• Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Monday, June 28, 2010, 10:38:27 AM »
That's why it's comforting to realize the world is headed towards, what I refer to as, the Great Reset, or the Global Red Ring of Death.  I figure one day, after society as we know it collapses, things will reset.  It might take a few million years for evolution to repopulate the world with intelligent reptilians, but life will find a way.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Monday, June 28, 2010, 11:33:13 AM »
You and Que ought to get a room. 

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Monday, June 28, 2010, 05:03:41 PM »
I, for one, welcome our new intelligent reptillian overlords.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #19 on: Monday, June 28, 2010, 07:41:54 PM »
I hope I get to come back as an intelligent T-rex after I die. That would kick so much ass.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Monday, June 28, 2010, 07:56:16 PM »
A TV documentary I remember from way back got me searching.  They speculated that a self-aware species like ours, capable of speech and technology might have evolved from dinosaurs had they not been wiped out.  Primates may never had had the chance in that case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troodon

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Monday, June 28, 2010, 08:44:59 PM »
How cool would it be to be the new dominant species on earth? I think looking at the ruins of past civilizations is really interesting, but all of them are human. How awesome would that be to research the lost civilizations of a completely different species?

I envy whoever comes after us.

(this got way off-topic)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #22 on: Monday, June 28, 2010, 10:29:11 PM »
pic

That alien looks pretty lesbian to me

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, June 29, 2010, 07:10:06 AM »
Hahaha!  You're close.  Genitalia are internal and:

Russell's thought experiment has been met with criticism from other paleontologists since the 1980s, many of whom point out that Russell's Dinosauroid is overly anthropomorphic. Gregory S. Paul (1988) and Thomas R. Holtz, Jr., consider it "suspiciously human" (Paul, 1988) and argue that a large-brained, highly intelligent troodontid would retain a more standard theropod body plan, with a horizontal posture and long tail, and would probably manipulate objects with the snout and feet in the manner of a bird, rather than with human-like "hands".