Author Topic: Disco Elysium - murder-mystery CRPG with great prose & writing  (Read 3550 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Disco Elysium - murder-mystery CRPG with great prose & writing
« on: Tuesday, January 05, 2021, 07:43:27 PM »
For those that don't know what Disco Elysium is...

It's an old-school style CRPG that is a murder-mystery where you're to solve a crime...and also solve who you are, as you have amnesia.

Trailer for The Final Cut free upgrade (which will add more content, more voice-acting, etc) for Disco Elysium owners, coming in March 2021:

« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 06, 2021, 04:50:50 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Disco Elysium - open-world murder-mystery CRPG
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 05, 2021, 07:45:19 PM »
I bought (from Epic) & began Disco Elysium last night. I'm approximately a little over 2 hours into this.

This has some of the best writing, prose, and descriptions I've seen written in a game since any of these games - Shadowrun Returns; Shadowrun Dragonfall; Planescape: Torment (PS:T); and Torment: Tides of Numenera. If you're looking for a game that you can read, where it reads out like a good book, you'll love that aspect of the game. If those games were up your alley b/c of the writing, you'll love this.

The game is...bizarre. Your character that you play as, has the amnesia problem...similar to the Nameless One in PS:T. So, you don't remember who you are, what you're doing, what's your job, and other stuff of that sort. You wake up after a drunken stupor in a seedy hotel, where something really bad went down nearby. You're to investigate this incident, to find out what happened to this person was and "whodunnit"; and to also find our who you are and what has been going on with your character.

Of course, this all is just a part of everything Disco has going on, TBH. You'll be running, walking, and stumbling into other areas, side-quests, items, Lore, and whatnot everywhere. The game's loaded already with NPC's to talk to and things to do. If that isn't enough, you also....have conversations with yourself. Since your character's an alcoholic and an addict, you are constantly dealing w/ thoughts & visions in your head - and these can happen even while talking to a NPC that's really there.

These parts of you, your skills and stats that you "talk to", also feel like NPC's to talk to, as things like "Logic" and other skills talk to you and you have conversations & dialogues with them. It feels...often very meta and very weird, but also down-right shocking and/or hilarious at times, too. These parts of your personality - like Logic, Ego, etc - might even interject with you - and it does this a lot, too - while you're talking to a NPC. I really gives this feeling off of...something is really wrong w/ your character.

Based on your stats and whatnot (like most RPG's) and how you react to things, it feels like already...there's a few things I might've and could've done different. I literally talked my way out of - well, at least so far - from paying my hotel room bill for damages and for the room b/c...well, the place was trashed; supposedly by my character. There are constant checks from the game against your stats, which will pop-up and let you know if you failed or succeeded it too, letting you know if you have extra dialogue options, extra information the game will relay to you (about the game, its lore, the game-world, characters, areas, etc).

I haven't ran into any combat here, as...most of it supposedly happens as skill-checks and things while in Dialogue; and not in the old-school traditional sense of combat like you'd see in real-time basic games (like Baldur's Gate series or PS:T) or turn-based games (like say Shadowrun Returns; Fallout 1; and Fallout 2).

On my 10700KF; 16 GB RAM; and RTX 3070 PC at 1080p here: 60fps, no problem. Game isn't graphically special in the technical sense, but I do really like it's art-style. Looks like an oil painting in motion where pastels were used to make the graphics, to give this game its unique style and look here - which makes tons of sense here, given your characters issues here w/ drinking too much and doing way too many drugs.

Only a little over 2 hours in here and I've barely walked anywhere in this game-world and this game's already shining like gold, just from the interesting writing, prose, conversations, some of the odd side-quests, and the unique look of this game. I love the writing, the characters, the weirdness, the mystery, the comedy, and everything else this game has thrown at me, so far.

I really can't wait to play some more, sometime soon.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Disco Elysium - murder-mystery CRPG with great prose & writing
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 05, 2021, 10:04:53 PM »
I also picked this up recently with the Epic Games coupon and while it was on sale. I've put in about 4 hours into the game and really like it. It's like an old school RPG with card elements and dice rolls. That totally does not do it justice in terms of describing it, but it is quite unlike anything I have played recently. It is more akin to Balder's Gate II or Fallout 1 or 2 in terms of gameplay style.

Unfortunately, I do have a weird technical issue with the game - it "freezes" for about a minute on launch before the title screen appears. It is weird and I do not know what the issue is. It does appear to happen on other people's machines as well. The game runs without any other issues on my end.

I'm a little preoccupied with a few other games at the moment so I haven't played it in about a week. I do hope to pick it back up in the near future because I was enjoying the game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Disco Elysium - murder-mystery CRPG with great prose & writing
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 17, 2021, 05:06:39 PM »
WRITTEN - 01-10-2021:

A little more on this game, after spending almost some good 8 hours with it.

Combat can happen, when you're in a dialogue with someone. In a game like this, which is loaded w/ heavy dialogue, description, and whatnot - it makes sense that these just felt like decisions and/or scripted fights. They basically...feel like you're making another decision and the game's doing another stat-check (no your skills, abilities, etc.) and/or dice-roll. Depending on your stats, if you take an action - you could fail the stat-check and/or dice-roll; or succeed on them. And when you do, the results could....well, be quite different.

Now, more on stat-checks and dice-rolls here. This goes for more than just combat, as these also happen when you're in dialogue and making decisions, even when trying to do or say certain things. Most of the time, you won't be in combat, though - you'll be making decisions, trying to gain info, or whatever...and have to pass (or fail) stat-checks.

So, you have two types of checks here: White or Red. White Checks, you can fail...and re-try them later. When you fail a White Check, you'll need to utilize another Stat (it'll tell you what you need for a requirement of what stat and Level it needs to be, to be able to try this attempt and/or to fail or pass it) to do the stat-check and/or dice-roll.

Often, when talking...what you know and do from doing other quests; doing stuff in the game-world; finding certain stuff in the game-world; finding out certain info; talking to other NPC's, etc etc - this also can improve or change stat-checks and/or dice-rolls, depending on how connected some of these side and main quests and their NPC's might be.

You're a detective here, so...info and knowledge seems to be mean a lot in this game.

And now, I'll stop here...b/c I should get back to this awesome game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDENDUM - 01-17-2021:

After almost approximately 25 hours of my 1st play-through with this, according to Epic Game Store, this fantastic game is now in the books.

And what a great book and CRPG this one certainly was!

The game's writing, dialogue, prose, story, plot-twists, reveals, characters, world-building, the actual role-playing, the decision-making, and whatnot - it's all just fantastic. This might be more than just a candidate for numerous awards from me for Best Game That Played in 2021 (already, and it's January 2021 here!), but this is more than that.

Disco Elysium is one of the Best CRPG's Ever Made, belonging in the leagues & conversation of The CRPG Greats, joining the likes of CRPG's like Baldur's Gate II, Dragon Age: Origins, and Planescape: Torment.