Author Topic: Slumdog Millionaire  (Read 4399 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Slumdog Millionaire
« on: Wednesday, April 01, 2009, 08:50:44 PM »
Just got through watching Slumdog, a little bit ago.
Pretty good movie.

It feels like a sort of modern day fairy tale, which seems to sometimes get too caught up really in its own ridiculousness...
(click to show/hide)

I really did like having the three stories being told concurrently and how they did interweave with each other, though.

Anyone else seen this one yet?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Slumdog Millionaire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, April 01, 2009, 10:02:53 PM »
Yes.  I saw it.  The language that unifies India is English.  It's the one undeniably good thing the British did for them.  People from the same tribe or family may speak to each other in a common dialect, but they would speak to others in English, because otherwise they may not be understood.

The film is very gritty and mostly depressing.  I didn't see it as a fairy tale.

(click to show/hide)

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 02, 2009, 12:45:30 AM »
http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=4879.0

used very similar words to describe it...

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 02, 2009, 10:07:42 AM »
Saw it this weekend.

It's a good movie, but it does feel somewhat overrated.  I enjoyed it nonetheless, though if you liked what you saw, I would highly recommend City of God as well.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 02, 2009, 10:18:02 AM »
Cidade de Deus was just plain depressing.  It's like turning over a big rock and seeing what crawls around underneath.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 05, 2009, 04:14:43 PM »
Ooooh, City of God was great.
Did anyone here see City of Men (movie)?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 05, 2009, 05:27:23 PM »
Ooooh, City of God was great.
Did anyone here see City of Men (movie)?
City of God was awesome.

I have City of Men sitting around, I just have to get into the mood to read subtitles :P From what I read it's not a sequel but more like a spiritual successor.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Monday, April 13, 2009, 12:17:35 PM »
Yes.  I saw it.  The language that unifies India is English.  It's the one undeniably good thing the British did for them.  People from the same tribe or family may speak to each other in a common dialect, but they would speak to others in English, because otherwise they may not be understood.

More people in India speak hindi than English. What unifies India is its film industry, and all the movies... excuse me, "movies" are in Hindi. I put movies in quotes, because I find those movies terrible. Then again, I have a friend from Greece (Xessive knows him.. Adonis), who watches and loves all Indian movies. Crazy guy.

The film is very gritty and mostly depressing.  I didn't see it as a fairy tale.

I haven't seen it yet, but I can understand that.

The sad thing was when all those kids went back from their five star hotels and the glamor of the Oscars to their tough shitty slum living.

This might be a bit heartbreaking:

http://www.fadedyouthblog.com/87507/a-slap-in-the-face-brings-slumdogs-child-star-back-to-reality

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 02:45:44 AM »
why is it that every Indian movie has to end with a goddamn song and dance routine
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 05:34:40 AM »
why is it that every Indian movie has to end with a goddamn song and dance routine
It's a Hindi culture thing. Some people watch Hindi films and fast-wforward through the dialogue just to get to the songs and dances. I'm not a fan of musicals in general so this makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 05:39:20 AM »

I fucking hate it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 10:39:50 AM »
I assumed they were emulating the Hollywood of 40-50 years ago.  They're sort of stuck in the musicals age.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »
I assumed they were emulating the Hollywood of 40-50 years ago.  They're sort of stuck in the musicals age.
I wouldn't doubt that it's a strong influence on Bollywood, though Hindi culture in general is very musical.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 12:42:05 PM »
Yea nothing to do with Hollywood. Indian culture is just all about singing and straight men wearing gay clothes and dancing like broken robots.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 05:22:30 PM »
There's a reason I've never seen one of these movies.  Or several reasons.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 09:35:28 AM »
The later comments in this thread reminded me of a video I saw on YouTube recently called "Indian Thriller".  That video is the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've seen in a long time.  Then there is the video for Dahler Mendi's (sp?) Tunak Tunak Tun.  That is good also.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #16 on: Friday, July 16, 2010, 06:49:32 AM »
I just watched this, thought it was excellent. Though it was a love tale, I looked at it more of a culture shock movie, which comes to my question, are the things depicted in this movie accurate because I found some of it disturbing. But yea, great movie, made me feel like a spoiled asshole.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #17 on: Friday, July 16, 2010, 07:17:35 AM »
I am going to be watching this in an hour, so I will report back.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Friday, July 16, 2010, 09:57:23 AM »
If anyone has the Blu-Ray version watch the other movie on the extras. A much darker story of the slums. Actually one of the harder to watch movies I've ever seen. I was watching it with my parents and they just left because it was so disturbing.

Slumdog was good though. I liked the first half much more than the second. Apparently I look exactly like the main actor. All my friends and family, including my parents, think I'm basically a splitting image of the guy.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Friday, July 16, 2010, 10:32:43 AM »
So I just finished watching it.

None of it was an exaggeration. In fact, much worse things happen in the slums here.

For example, some kids have their heads place in the middle of a wheel jack and are kept in that position for years so that their body grows normally, but their head looks abnormally small. These kids fetch more money begging. It is a whole mafia.

I am still in Pakistan, so I am thinking I will take a lot of pictures one day and most an album. It may provide a bigger culture shock.

The movie was really good though.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 16, 2010, 01:30:59 PM by Pugnate »