Author Topic: Camping....  (Read 1871 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Camping....
« on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 11:03:54 AM »
So, I've decided that I'm taking a vacation right after this quarter is over. And I'm really leaning toward camping somewhere. Like when I was a kid. Not at a campground with a bunch of people but hiking into the woods and staying for a couple days.

Since it has been a long time since I've done any of this. This will be like my first time. I don't recall anyone else really talking about camping on here, but I was wondering if anyone does anything like that from time to time?

I just need to find a cool place to do it at. Like Lake Cumberland or something.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Camping....
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 11:28:56 AM »
I've done a bit of road trips where we camped at night instead of staying in a motel/hotel. Usually we've focused on more nature areas and usually hiked a couple times. Good stuff. I've also done a few total roughing it trips over the course of a couple days, but that was still with some sort of vehicle for storage and with something like twenty people (geology field trip), so it wasn't that tough.

If you're thinking about buying gear, I'm generally partial to backpacking gear even though I'm not a backpacker. It tends to be more space efficient, easier to setup, and just nicer overall. Of course, that comes at a price. When does your quarter end? Will you still be camping in summer? If that's the case, you can probably skimp on things like the sleeping bag since it'll probably be warm (I don't know where Cumberland is, so that isn't necessarily the case). A good tent and a nice sleeping mat will go a long way towards making things more comfortable though.

Funny thing is right this instant I'm packing up to take a trip starting... soon, like now. My move to the East Coast will also be something like a road trip and we'll be camping along the way. Should be fun.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 11:34:03 AM »
Strangely, I haven't done camping in this style. Sounds fun, though.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 12:21:17 PM »
I'm thinking tent, sleeping mat and some light camping gear. Something to cook on, firesteel, few other things, food and such.

Lake Cumberland is in Kentucky. And my quarter ends in September. So it should be fairly nice weather. I would just like to find a remote spot. Hunting down information on wilderness camping is harder. Everything is just campgrounds. Which I think is pretty lame.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 01:45:02 PM »
I love primitive camping, though I haven't done it in awhile.  Scary, you should check out Red River Gorge.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »
Red River Gorge looks pretty sweet! That might be a nice place to camp. Thanks, Scott. Gonna look into it more.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »
Yeah, it was always my favorite place to go when I was in Boy Scouts.  You just hike and find a nice flat spot and there you go.  It also has some awesome rock formations.

The coolest trip I ever did though was Philmont in Cimarron, NM (also with the Boy Scouts).  It was a 2-week hiking trip.  You literally brought everything with you and we only stayed in one place for one night.  Setting up and breaking down the tents was so annoying that we just stopped using them after three nights.  It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

I'd love to do more primitive camping, but most women hate it so I just haven't been able to find a good group to go in awhile.  I did find out that my brother likes to go to Red River Gorge so I might see if I can set up a trip with him some time.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 08:00:46 PM »
I've done a ton of camping where you hike in (I don't really consider campgrounds camping). Your backpack can become an issue depending on the length and difficulty of a hike. If your pack sucks you will be miserable. And you definitely don't want a sleeping bag as it will probably be hot at night.

We usually just find a trail and hike it for awhile until we find an awesome spot (usually by a river or a waterfall, which makes it so much better). The last time I went with my brother we actually wheeled a cooler down the trail (which sucked because it was steep and rocky) so that we could have steak and fresh eggs. Delicious meals ensued but it was a pain in the ass.

I could tell you a bunch of places to go in NC but it sounds like you are further away.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 10:17:15 PM »
For real hiking, you need a pack with a good hip belt.  If you don't have that you are screwed.  My first hiking pack just had a strap and it was a nightmare.  I upgraded it to a real, padded, full circle hip belt and it made all the difference.