Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins -> Update: DAO Ultimate joins GOG  (Read 149147 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: Chracter Creator coming October 13th (Reply 114)
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday, October 07, 2009, 07:11:59 PM »
Dragon Age: Origins - DLC Details.

Blood Dragon Armor DLC = FREE.
Will be in all new copies of DAO upon release - retail or digital.
Also will be usable in Mass Effect 2, when that game officially drops.

Stone Prisoner DLC = $15.00 normally or 1200 MSP (XBL).
To get this Stone Prisoner DLC for FREE:
Pre-order or buy DAO brand new from a retailer upon release, in the box is a FREE redemption code to download this.
Buy DAO from a digital retailer, this just comes packaged FREE with your download of the game.

Warden's Keep DLC = $7.00 normally or 560 MSP (XBL)
This IS included FREE in DAO: Deluxe Digital Edition that is offered up by digital distributors.
This is NOT included in the DAO: Regular Edition retail box.
This is NOT included in the DAO: Collector's Edition retail box.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: DAO Day-One DLC Details (Reply 120)
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday, October 07, 2009, 11:40:21 PM »
You know, I can sort of follow the logic of having a separate team working on this while the game was nearing finalization and going through cert. It might be ready to go the same date the game hits stores, but wow does that ever make you look like a bunch of money grubbers.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #122 on: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 01:30:25 AM »
See this is why I like the PC version, because I can buy the regular game and then pirate the DLC (Warden's Keep).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #123 on: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 05:32:47 AM »
You know, I can sort of follow the logic of having a separate team working on this while the game was nearing finalization and going through cert. It might be ready to go the same date the game hits stores, but wow does that ever make you look like a bunch of money grubbers.

Bingo.

Did you see the Bluesnews Forums, where this topic was discussed, (beginning with page 5)?

Derek French of Bioware -- AKA CrushBug on the Bluesnews Forums -- was posting there upon the topic of the DAO DLC and boy, were the posters there ripping him, EA, and Bioware a new asshole.

See this is why I like the PC version, because I can buy the regular game and then pirate the DLC (Warden's Keep).
I'm actually now hesitating on buying the DAO: CE Retail Box Edition (PC) now, since it doesn't come w/ Warden's Keep DLC. When you spend that kind of money ($60 - 64), it should come w/ EVERYTHING.

This is going to be a BIG game, GB-wise -- I don't want a downloadable edition, at its high costs. I don't wanna DL'able Edition, when the game is going to cost big bucks and it's going to be a huge as Hell DL. I ain't got time for that kind of waiting. And I don't wanna go after the DAO: Deluxe Digital Ed just to get all the DLC -- just really so I can get Warden's Keep DLC.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #124 on: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 07:31:48 AM »
It was awesome to read people being pissed about it.  Fuck DLC.  A load of horseshit.  You can try to talk yourself out of it all you want, but there's really no excuse.  You had content finished for a game you were releasing and you charged people more for it.  I don't care what team developed it, you fucking ripped people off.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #125 on: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 07:48:59 AM »
Yea D but does the digital version come with the other DLC?

It is just one piece of $7 DLC so I don't care.... especially since I will torrent it anyway.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #126 on: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 08:18:18 AM »
Yea D but does the digital version come with the other DLC?
Digital retailers are selling two different versions for the DAO Digital Editions - Reg and Deluxe.
On Impulse, there's a Digital Regular Edition and a Digital Deluxe Edition.
Same w/ Direct2Drive -- they have a Digital Regular Edition and Deluxe Edition.

ALL Digital Versions (Regular and Deluxe) come w/ the Blood Dragon Armor and Stone Prisoner DLC.

The DAO - Digital Regular Edition DOESN'T come w/ Warden's Keep DLC.

The only way to get Warden's Keep DLC included for FREE (if you want to look at it that way, since you'll be paying for it, since this version is even more expensive) -- is that you have to buy the even more expensive DAO Digital Version, which is that special DAO - Deluxe Digital Edition from digital distributors (i.e. Impulse, Steam, and whoever else is selling this Edition).

It is just one piece of $7 DLC so I don't care.... especially since I will torrent it anyway.
Yes, DAO is going to be easily a 40-50 hour plus RPG and $7 more really isn't a big deal and all, granted the amount of content that'll be already stuffed in this game here.

But really to me, anything labeled with the words "Collector's Edition" for a Retail Box should come w/ EVERYTHING for game content (regular and DLC) that is coming out the week of release plus the freakin' kitchen sink for the kind of money you do spend on those versions.

I really don't care if the "Day 0" DLC content isn't on the disc b/c they certified the gamebox a while back before the DLC was even done or whatever -- just toss in later a free-to-download redemption code into all the gameboxes or let the gamer who registers their CE online on Bioware's site get their own free code to download the DLC content. I doubt all this Warden's Keep DLC will be a killer few GB-size download. It's not like this DLC is a full-fledged RPG expansion; and a lot of full-fledged RPG expansions basically feel like 15-20 hours of content, anyways -- which is bigger than most regular stand-alone games of any other genre (i.e. most modern FPS and action games).

EDIT:
Quote from: Que
It was awesome to read people being pissed about it.  Fuck DLC.  A load of horseshit.  You can try to talk yourself out of it all you want, but there's really no excuse.  You had content finished for a game you were releasing and you charged people more for it.  I don't care what team developed it, you fucking ripped people off.
The other thing is, if you buy any DAO Edition from digital retailers (instead of a store retailer), you can get an extra in-game item that has some sort of unique quality -- the Formari Memory Band. Just look at D2D and Impulse.

We can go one step further -- if you order any DAO Edition from D2D, you get the Formari Memory Band (mentioned above) AND you get another extra in-game item -- The Dalish Ring, which has some sort of unique quality.

I'm with Que on all of this DLC stuff -- I'm glad people are rightfully pissed.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 08:54:28 AM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #127 on: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 11:00:35 AM »
It's just as Que had said in other threads: they're just making a game then fragmenting it and selling the fragments at an additional price for more profit.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #128 on: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 11:10:32 AM »
It's just as Que had said in other threads: they're just making a game then fragmenting it and selling the fragments at an additional price for more profit.
Agreed.

I think it would've been cooler if say these small little in-game items, there was a unique looking item for each version -- and the stats of the in-game item were all the same to the game across the board period, no matter what version you buy. And yes, this item CAN'T be sold to other NPC's and must stay forever in your inventory, whether you wear it or not.

Maybe, Que buys the Retail Regular Edition he get an in-game ring that is one of the color black; I buy the Retail CE and get a in-game ring that is the color blood-red; Xessive gets a special in-game ring that is gray for buying the Digital Deluxe Edition from D2D; and Pug's ring for buying the Regular Digital version from Impulse is the colors of the entire rainbow. You know, give the player something to just ID the player as having a "unique" object for buying a specific version of the game from a certain place or something, if the player wants to wear the object in-game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #129 on: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 11:36:39 AM »
Quite a few MMOs have done that actually. People who pre-ordered or got the CE would have unique items or access to unique gear. I think in Guild Wars (might be abother game) people who got the CE would have a blue halo glowing over their characters.

Either way, this is mostly just digital bogus that some companies stash with CEs that are lacking in physical stuff i.e. maps, figurines, etc.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #130 on: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 11:41:26 AM »
Quite a few MMOs have done that actually. People who pre-ordered or got the CE would have unique items or access to unique gear. I think in Guild Wars (might be abother game) people who got the CE would have a blue halo glowing over their characters.
Yes, GW CE's and other certain GW Editions do that little gimmicky thing -- where you get like a certain colored halo over your head or some other non-valuable cool little thing. I think even one edition of GW offered up free extra dances, if you pre-ordered it. Yeah, that was what I was driving at. :)

I know Sacred 2: Collector's Edition, since I own it, it gives you an Imp to carry extra Inventory when you play the game online (over ClosedNet). It was a major complaint you couldn't use the imp OFFLINE in SP mode, so what they did was for Ice & Blood, you just get an imp to follow you period -- for online or offline mode -- to carry more Inventory.
Either way, this is mostly just digital bogus that some companies stash with CEs that are lacking in physical stuff i.e. maps, figurines, etc.
Wait...
Digital Bogus or bonus?
Or both? :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #131 on: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 11:47:32 AM »
Who cares...  the DLC is just intended as an incentive to buy a sealed copy -- whether you buy it now, or years later at $20. I'd rather they do this than ram some intrusive DRM up my rear.

And does it really matter if the original thing is worth the $50 you are paying for? If you are getting your 70 hours+ out of it?

Had they put 30% of the game up for DLC I would be upset too, but they haven't. It is just some measly DLC not even worth an hour of entertainment.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #132 on: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 12:08:23 PM »
Who cares...  the DLC is just intended as an incentive to buy a sealed copy -- whether you buy it now, or years later at $20. I'd rather they do this than ram some intrusive DRM up my rear.
From what I see, the best deal (price-wise) is to buy DAO - Digital Deluxe Edition digitally from D2D -- as that comes w/ ALL the "Day 0" DLC content, The Game Soundtrack, and ALL the extra (somewhat meaningless) in-game items. But, fuck that -- I don't wanna take forever to DL this monstrosity.

DAO - Retail Collector's Ed doesn't come w/ The Warden's Keep DLC -- that's silly to me. Why didn't they price the Retail CE up a little more and just include Warden's Keep, if they felt so inclined?

And does it really matter if the original thing is worth the $50 you are paying for? If you are getting your 70 hours+ out of it?
Since all this DLC wasn't say done by the time the game got certified and pressed to GOLD Status, why didn't they just save all this extra DLC content as part of a much bigger expansion pack to sell in retail at a later said date?

I'm sure gamers would probably been up for that -- we're used to them $20-30 expansions.

Had they put 30% of the game up for DLC I would be upset too, but they haven't. It is just some measly DLC not even worth an hour of entertainment.
I think the real question here is -- how short/long is The Warden's Keep DLC?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #133 on: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 06:16:23 PM »
Well, given their track record, it probably isn't much.  The Mass Effect DLC was 100% worthless.  But it's the principle of the thing.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #134 on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 02:04:37 AM »
You are right that (just like horse armor), the anger is over the principle of the thing, and is in part caused by fear that this will lead to worse things.

But for some reason EA believes this will cause people to actually buy the thing (whether it be at full price now, or from the bargain bin years later). Having looked at it, I have seen that it (the DLC) is pretty worthless, and won't really take away from the 70 hours of quality game that Bioware put together.

With the amount of money PC gaming is leaking to piracy, you know publishers want to try something. I would still rather they do this than DRM. Thankfully this game doesn't have any aside from a disc check.

BTW, I had a look at the "Warden's Keep" situation, and yes, I am a little offended. Making one DLC only a part of digital distribution isn't fair when I am paying 70 dollars for a collector's edition. Of course, it would be easy to torrent. You can tell that they make more money from their online service rather than retail, which is why they are encouraging you buy it as a download. That doesn't make it right of course.

In the end, I am not too bothered by all this though, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #135 on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 06:26:39 AM »
You are right that (just like horse armor), the anger is over the principle of the thing, and is in part caused by fear that this will lead to worse things.
I wonder if we'll see more games -- especially long-winded RPG's -- just do the same Day One DLC gimmick DAO has going on.

But for some reason EA believes this will cause people to actually buy the thing (whether it be at full price now, or from the bargain bin years later). Having looked at it, I have seen that it (the DLC) is pretty worthless, and won't really take away from the 70 hours of quality game that Bioware put together.
Not having it probably won't take away anything from the game, but you'll still have that "something's missing here" feeling b/c you don't have The Definitive Version.

Actually, a better example -- this DLC thing is kind of like how some of the later Premium DLC Modules for NWN never got published on disc by Atari or Bioware -- the DLC that got published (see Kingmaker DLC Collection) version just had the disc check. Not everybody bought the Premium DLC -- namely b/c of its constant online DRM check, for when you actually load a game every damn time.

The worst example is how DLC's nature is when we don't even get a chance to get it or buy it. We PC gamers didn't even get offered a chance to even buy PoP: Epilogue DLC -- we feel like a part of the game, no matter how small it is, just isn't there when other (console) versions got this Epilogue to at least be able to purchase. Same goes for TR: Underworld, as well -- as the consoles got two DLC's we on the PC just didn't get period. Worst of all, those PC games didn't even get say a full re-release of the game with the extra DLC available to buy in the store, at some late date! On a flip-side, on an expansion pack side -- from what I read on Sacred 2's official forums, a lot of console gamers are NOT happy that there's NO plans for Sacred 2: Ice & Blood (Expansion) to even be coming to the consoles PERIOD -- which just flat-out sucks for them.

On another note, I appreciate that companies like Treyarch have decided to just release the (paid) console DLC for COD: WAW for FREE in PC version patches for COD: WAW.

With the amount of money PC gaming is leaking to piracy, you know publishers want to try something. I would still rather they do this than DRM. Thankfully this game doesn't have any aside from a disc check.
I can understand them doing this DLC thing, since it's been a big source of income for dev's since Bioware did it w/ their Premium Modules for NWN and since DLC exploded for Oblivion -- now it's like all the designers do DLC pretty much. But, the way Bioware EA is going about it here with THREE Day One DLC's is pretty "ugh."

I'm glad DAO has only a disc check, as well.

BTW, I had a look at the "Warden's Keep" situation, and yes, I am a little offended. Making one DLC only a part of digital distribution isn't fair when I am paying 70 dollars for a collector's edition. 
Exactly.

You can tell that they make more money from their online service rather than retail, which is why they are encouraging you buy it as a download. That doesn't make it right of course.
They could always charge more for the Collector's Ed Retail Box then -- charge $70 for it and throw in Warden's Keep.

The Collector's Ed Retail Box (without Warden's Keep) now retails for $64.99; Amazon has on it sale for $59.99. My original plans were no matter what, were to buy DAO - CE Retail Box upon release. You know, if all the DLC was in the box, I probably would've still bit the bullet and bought the CE Retail Box. Now after all this DLC stuff, I really don't know what the hell I'm actually going to do about DAO. Bioware EA is on the verge of losing the purchase of a CE Retail Box (retailing for $60-65) on the week of release for me. Very rarely do I buy CE's on Release Date -- I think Fallout 3: CE is the only one I did make the leap for, actually ($70 retail, week of release).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #136 on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 07:08:04 AM »
Isn't the whole point of a CE to add to a collection? It seems coouterproductive to gimp a CE.

Lame. Although I do agree with Pug that this is still worlds better than dealing with DRM.

If I do buy the game I'm only going to settle for a standard edition. I don't think I'll bother with the CE unless its cost is only a minuscule amount more.

I just remembered when I picked the Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory CE from Futureshop. It was the last piece and it was the same price as the standard ($50 at the time). The same sort of thing seems to happen here in Virgin Megastores too. I got the CEs of Bioshock and Crysis for the same price as the standard. At first I thought the standard editions' prices must be cranked up but they were pretty standard prices between $40 and $50.

Coming back to DLC. The term came around relatively late, around the time mission packs became downloadable on consoles. Before then they were add-ons, plug-ins, mission packs, or gift packs; mainly dependant on the sort of content it was. For the sake of semantics, I'm beginning to disagree with its use today becuase it's too general of a term. Technically a user made map for UT3 is DLC if it's available for download, heck a mapcycle from a server I connect to would count. My point is that if such a general term is used it practically gives licence for devs to make anything DLC and charge for it. It's kind of like the evil twin of the Korean "free-to-play" business model (where only cosmetic content costs real money). I'm not against having DLC, I just think it needs to be regulated more thoroughly and have set standards.

Soul Calibur IV has some DLC listed (at roughly $2 each) that unlocks certain customization items (clothes, weapons, etc.) in the character creator which are already available in the game and can be unlocked for free if you just play the effing game. At least it actually says that in the DLC packs disclaimer. Now, the argument here becomes a matter of choice. Personally, I think it would be a waste of money since I can unlock the content if I just play enough of the game but someone else may argue otherwise (either lazy or people came over to play and you still haven't unlocked anything *FAAACK* Download now! Now! Now!!) So DLC boils down to perspective.

There's some DLC I like and would gladly pay for and other DLC is just horse armour.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: 20 min gameplay from Giant Bomb (Reply 137)
« Reply #138 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 10:33:35 PM »
Dunno if this was known before.

Dragon Age: Journeys

Official flash game based on DA, supposed to go like Oct 20th. EA commissioned the guy that made Monsters Den which is an awesome flash game. EA seems to be making a habit of this. Remember the Mirrors Edge flash game made by the Fancy Pants Adventures creator?

Anyway, screens here. And a quote from the dev:
It's unmistakably an RPG, there really are no action elements at all. The trailer is just sort of a sizzle-reel using assets from the game. The actual combat gameplay is turn-based on a hex grid, similar to Heroes of Might and Magic.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: 20 min gameplay from Giant Bomb (Reply 137)
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »
Expect 2 years worth of DLC for DAO
Bioware is planning 2 years worth of DLC for DAO.

DAO - Character Creator Program RELEASED
Bioware's DAO - Character Creator Program is out to download, which is around 318 MB.
To get this, you have to join the new Bioware Social Network.
If you're a Bioware forums member already -- it transfers all your info over basically.

Here's MysterD's planned Rogue for DAO.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 06:45:14 PM by MysterD »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: Free Character Creator released (Reply 140)
« Reply #142 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 07:12:22 PM »
There will be NO overhead camera like in Baldur's Gate games for the console versions of DAO.
DAO's PC version will of course have the classic camera option for an overheard view, if you want to use it.

That seems like a really weird thing to do. I wonder if it's an image type thing, where they don't want console gamers seeing gameplay from a top down perspective or they might not gain as much interest, or is there some technical reason? (you'd be drawong more of the environment on screen by looking down on it all, where an "in the action" view lets you only draw the stuff in one direction.)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #143 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
It does seem weird to me, as well -- since it'd probably be easier to just be lazy and leave it in there as an option.

Maybe they couldn't somehow figure out how to work the overhead cam around a console gamepad?
Maybe they wanted to keep the console in the action at all times, so they left the viewpoint out?
Maybe both?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #144 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 09:10:13 PM »
Dragon Age: Origins controls well on a PlayStation 3, BioWare proved to Kotaku yesterday — mouse and keyboard not required. But if you want the classic overhead view seen in this game's spiritual predecessor, then a mouse is a must.

A BioWare rep told me that players who will want to zoom out will need to do so via a mouse scroll wheel. Then they'll get that Baldur's Gate look.

It seems it's a control scheme issue.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #145 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 11:10:46 PM »
It seems like a technical issue. Of course, I would say that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #146 on: Saturday, October 17, 2009, 07:40:43 AM »
Probably worth noting, Steam has their own special extras for DAO, as well...

DAO: Regular Digital Edition from Steam.
DAO: Deluxe Digital Edition from Steam.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #147 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 07:06:04 AM »
System Requirements have been lowered and have actually changed a little bit.
Namely, processor requirement has changed - which I've bolded.

Many of our fans have been asking if we can provide system specifications for the PC version of Dragon Age: Origins. The Dev team has now been able to lock down both the minimum and recommended system requirements.

Here are the minimum requirements for XP and Vista and the recommended system requirements.

Windows XP Minimum Specifications
CPU: Intel Core 2 Single (or equivalent) running at 1.6Ghz or greater
AMD 64 (or equivalent) running at 2.0Ghz or greater

RAM: 1GB or more
Video: ATI Radeon X850 256MB or greater
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater
DVD ROM (Physical copy)
20 GB HD space

Windows Vista/Windows 7 Minimum Specifications
CPU: Intel Core 2 Single (or equivalent) running at 1.6Ghz or greater
AMD 64 (or equivalent) running at 2.0Ghz or greater

RAM: 1.5 GB or more
Video: ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB or greater
DVD ROM (Physical copy)
20 GB HD space

Recommended Specifications
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
AMD Phenom II X2 Dual-Core 2.7 GHz or greater

RAM: 2 GB (XP) or 3 GB (Windows Vista/Windows 7)
Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
DVD ROM (Physical copy)
20 GB HD space

We will be adding this to The Game page asap.

Edit: Added AMD Phenom to the recommended.
Edit2: updated system specs

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: System requirements lowered for CPU (Reply 147)
« Reply #148 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 11:03:04 AM »
So I preordered the CE. That's all for now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: System requirements lowered for CPU (Reply 147)
« Reply #149 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 11:11:44 AM »
Have seen a bunch more ads on TV.  Every time I read something or get to the point where I think maybe I could be interested in this, the advertising kicks in and completely turns me off in every regard.  It isn't even the stupid Marilyn Manson shit anymore, since they seemed to have stopped that... the game just looks terrible.  Part of me feels like it's still going to be a really good game because Bioware seems to have put a lot of thought and effort into it, and I don't begrudge people who are looking forward to it, but... I just can't get beyond the advertising.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #150 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 11:51:03 AM »
Advertising has that power over me too, it can turn me off faster than the image of Madelaine Albright. The ads for DAO were especially bad. The promo videos were alright though.

I will say that one ad I did like was the Gears of War ad with Gary Jules' rendition of "Mad World" over some in-game cinematics.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #151 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 12:10:31 PM »
I liked that one too.  Most game ads annoy me, to be fair, but Dragon Age has been handled particularly badly, I think.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #152 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 07:52:52 PM »
Everyone seems to be saying it is an incredible game. Jason Ocampo, PCG-UK, Rock Scissors Paper Shotgun etc have given it tons of praise and have said it is little like what has been marketed. Desslock of PCG US apparently thinks highly of it as well, and will make his first podcast appearance ever to talk about the title.

Here is news item on the PCG UK review:

The first Dragon Age: Origins review has arrived via PC Gamer magazine, which brands the BioWare game "RPG of the decade" in its 94% review.

"Thus begins Dragon Age, one of the most enormous and astonishing of games," it says. "Were the difficulty levels not so enormously silly, it would require sheer pickiness to find a major fault with this game."

PC Gamer calls Origins' gigantic environment "the most enormously detailed game world I've experienced, its history stretching back thousands of years, its cultures vivid, beautiful and flawed, the battles enormous, the humour superb.

"I've not only been to huge cities, but I've learned their past, their present, and been involved in shaping their future," it says. "This hasn't felt like passing through a series of checkpoints, but having experienced a world.

"Roleplaying games now have a great deal to live up to," it concludes.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #153 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 09:23:19 PM »
No amount of words is going to sway my brain from what it's seen.  If at some point I actually see something about the game (or better yet, in it) that doesn't look like total shit, I'll be a believer.  But so far, no go.  Even the promo stuff I've seen that was in-game looked terrible.  There was one in particular with some sort of fat, evil worm queen or something that was supposed to look all sinister and evil and it just looked utterly fucking lame.

And I'd just like to reiterate that I'm not at all convinced that this is actually going to be a bad game, because I never really thought it would be.  I think it will end up being great.  However, while I've not often felt the power of advertising make me move toward buying something, this time it's really had the effect of pushing me the hell away.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #154 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 05:00:08 PM »
I think the game looks great and I could have a lot of fun with it. But I'm worried that I'd get it and end up getting bored, and then never play through it. I've done that with these style games before. I guess it's just too much to keep track of with 4 inventories, 4 characters to level up and learn skills/spells for, and 4 people to keep track of on the battlefield. I know a lot of that is streamlined in DAO, but I don't know if it's enough for me personally.

I'd love a demo to play, but I sort of doubt that will happen.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #156 on: Tuesday, November 03, 2009, 04:34:31 AM »
Giantbomb gives it 5 stars, check out the video review.

I have to admit, having never played the Baldur's Gate games, this game sounds totally fucking awesome. I've always hoped that an RPG could somehow capture boss fights like WoW does, instead of it being a button mash fest, strategy in how you use your party is key and a necessity, and its how all the combat is throughout the game, in fact he recommends newcomers to play the game on easy. That just sounds really damn cool to me.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #157 on: Tuesday, November 03, 2009, 05:37:53 AM »
Well, I think I'm sold. I'll pck it up as soon as it arrives in any of the stores out here.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #158 on: Tuesday, November 03, 2009, 07:08:46 AM »
Well Giantbomb, congratulations... you're the first people to make me want this game.  I watched the GSpot video review first and actually thought, "Why does this game look so lousy?"  They must have been showing the console version.  The Giantbomb review actually showed the PC interface, which looks vastly superior, and the character models looked significantly more cohesive.

I still have some issues with character design and potentially with some of their other design choices, but in the end I'm betting that this stuff will have more contextual relevance in-game.  Now that I've actually gotten to see some of what the game seems to want to do, I'm kind of... sold.  It was pretty hard not to get a little excited watching all that stuff.

Damn it.  I don't need another game to play.

But again, this is sort of what I expected to happen.  Those video reviews showed a game that was exactly 100% nothing like everything I'd seen regarding the game up until now.  Worst fucking ad/preview campaign ever.

EDIT - A much more sobering review from Eurogamer.  These are some of the things that have been in the back of my mind.  I don't always agree with Eurogamer, however, and often find them to be overly critical.  Still, these are concerns that bear noting, but in the end I don't know that it makes any difference.  As an old-school PC RPG player, what I've recently seen indicates to me that I'm practically obligated to try this.

Fucking internets.  Stop making me spend money.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 03, 2009, 07:38:37 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #159 on: Tuesday, November 03, 2009, 07:41:09 AM »
Exactly. The reviews gave a lot of insight into the gameplay and overall game mechanics. The ad campaign was downright stupid.