Author Topic: Dead State  (Read 879 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Dead State
« on: Wednesday, August 25, 2010, 08:28:07 AM »
Zomgies!

A zombie themed RPG from ex-Troika/Obsidian devs. And these are classic slow moving zombies, none of that running shit. And its a game about survival where you build up your base, go out for supplies, find other survivors to help you (or fight them for supplies). Sounds pretty sweet. Like what Fort Zombie should have been if it wasn't buggy as hell.

RPS: Can you elaborate on your vision of zombies? What are you trying to evoke in the game? What kind of things have influenced you?

Brian Mitsoda: On paper, our zombies are really not supposed to be threatening. They’re dumb, they’re slow, they’re unorganized – your very basic shambling corpse. They’re only dangerous when you forget about them. Make too much noise, get cornered, ignore them – that’s when they get dangerous. Most games deal with a Night of the Living Dead scenario where you have to survive one night, one wave, one map. We’re dealing with a long-term zombie threat, where you have to worry about keeping people fed, friends getting bit and infected while scavenging, and the desperation of other human beings. Honestly, the game is not about the zombies, but about how people react to a crisis and what they are willing to do to other human beings and even members of their group to stay alive or protect their own. The zombies are just a cause, like economic collapse or a massive earthquake, and it’s really the human self-preservation instinct and the survivor mentality that we’re interested in portraying.

I think the interesting thing about a disaster is this mentality that everything is going to be okay – that “someone” is going to come in and save me, of course. This idea that as long as you aren’t in immediate danger, you can keep your head down and hope the problem will go away. We’re short-term thinking creatures and we don’t like to think of the big picture implications of our actions – global warming, borrowing money, cutting education/space spending. I think rationally we want to believe the governments of the world would mobilize quick enough to stop a zombie plague (only infected people rise from the dead in our game) but I think that generally we’re only mobilized when we are directly threatened. By the time people start to notice the dead walking in their neck of the woods, the problem has spread beyond containment. The zombies in Dead State are a faceless (sometimes literally) force and dealing with the zombie problem is a lot like waging a war on an ideal.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Dead State
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2010, 05:31:33 PM »
Totally into it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2010, 06:27:29 PM »
A little OT, but what was that web-based zombie game where you only had a few turns a day?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2010, 06:41:45 PM »
Urban Dead

Man, I wonder if my zombie is still there.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 26, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »
Oh yeah!  That was it.  Man I remember I was playing that when I was at the ice company.  I had several characters.

I'm not sure why I stopped playing.  I am going to check it out again.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 01:13:23 AM »
Haha, I was fully into Urban Dead in 06.  Went back a year or so ago and logged in.  My character was there but I never got back into it.  Great concept,  but I eventually got bored I guess.