Author Topic: Best Buy starting trade-in program, will sell used games  (Read 1130 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Best Buy starting trade-in program, will sell used games
« on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 10:32:47 AM »
Hmmmm...

Gaming enthusiasts nationwide now have more reasons to shop Best Buy (NYSE: BBY) as their gaming destination. Launching in close to 600 Best Buy stores this week, with additional stores to soon follow, the new Best Buy Trade-In program offers customers an opportunity to sell pre-owned video games. To celebrate the new offering, customers who trade-in their games beginning this Sunday, August 29, will receive a $20 Best Buy Gift Card on more than 100 popular titles.

“The expansion of our trade-in program reaffirms our commitment to consistently pursue new ways to bring a better gaming experience to consumers,” said Chris Homeister, senior vice president and general manager for the home entertainment group at Best Buy. “Fall marks the launch of several highly-anticipated gaming titles and new technology, and we’re thrilled to provide gamers with innovative ways to connect with the games they love.”

Consumers can now bring their previously played video games into Best Buy and trade them for an instant Best Buy Gift Card to use for purchasing anything in the store, including any game or gaming accessory. Soon, they will be able to purchase a pre-owned game as well.

Those who take advantage of the new Trade-In program in store can visit the Customer Service desk, or in select locations a dedicated Trade-In desk within the gaming department, to turn in their games. Best Buy will continue to offer a similar program online at BestBuy.com that enables customers to get estimates for their games, mail them in for free and receive a Best Buy Gift Card 7-14 days later. Trade-In prices in-store will match the prices shown online.

For more information on Trade-In at Best Buy and to locate a store currently participating in the program, visit www.bestbuy.com/gametradein. Stay connected to Best Buy Gaming via Twitter and Facebook at Twitter.com/RZGamersClub and Facebook.com/BestBuyGaming.
I wonder what the publishers that complain about used game sales think about this. More competition for Gamestop would be a good thing. It might cause a used game price war that will drive the price of used games down, which is good for gamers. This would also drive down the trade-in value, though...bad for Gamestop but probably good for publishers (less likely people would want to sell it if they arent going to get much). Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Best Buy starting trade-in program, will sell used games
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »
Basically everyone wants to get in on the used game market so they can rip you of too. Gamestop fucks you over by giving you almost nothing for your used games, then sells them for $3-5 less than a new copy. That gives a much larger profit margin than a new game. I don't buy used games from Gamestop, and I won't buy them from Best Buy either.

If I want used games, or to sell my games, I'll buy/trade with people, not with some store that won't give me a reasonable deal.

And no, I don't think there's something wrong with used games. If I can buy a used DVD, book, whatever, why not a used game?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 12:09:59 PM »
Hmmmm...
This would also drive down the trade-in value, though...bad for Gamestop but probably good for publishers (less likely people would want to sell it if they arent going to get much). Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I think it would drive up the trade-in value.  There are only so many used games being traded back.  More businesses wanting them means more demand for a fixed commodity.

I agree that the used-game business is currently a ripoff.  I remember well when it wasn't.  I generally won't buy used games either.  The most recent exception for me is Ubisoft games, as long as they continue to force anyone to be online to play their (single-player) games.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 12:25:59 PM »
Heh, I have the same Ubisoft policy but I very rarely buy used games so...so far I haven't actually acted on it.

You're right, that would drive up trade in value. So then I guess the price they sell the used games for will still be high (hello Gamestop $5 under new full price). Though I guess that would then remove a lot of Gamestops profit margin, which can be seen as a good thing. Less reason for them to push used games so hard over new.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 01:42:42 PM »
Well Game Crazy would usually sell a recent used title for 10-15 bucks less than its new price.  We see how well that worked out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »
I'd have no problem w/ the used-game market from retailers, if they actually would give developers and publishers a cut of the money...

EDIT:
Oh, another thing - this crap where GameStop has got nailed in the past for selling used games as new - yeah, that's got to go away, too. That's the other problem that can happen w/ stores selling used games.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 06:19:13 PM »
They are under no obligation to give devs/publishers a cut of used sales. I can sell a DVD without a movie company getting a cut, I can sell a CD without the label getting a cut, I can sell a book without the publisher getting a cut. Game companies just want special treatment.

Stop making games that are basically disposable, and lower your prices. $60 isn't exactly cheap for a lot of people, and some people only buy them at that price because they can sell it later and get some of that money back. The people that can't afford the $60 in the first place are waiting for the game to be cheaper,  and used copies hit that price point well before publishers lower the new price. Not everyone is collecting these things.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 28, 2010, 11:07:51 AM »
They are under no obligation to give devs/publishers a cut of used sales. I can sell a DVD without a movie company getting a cut, I can sell a CD without the label getting a cut, I can sell a book without the publisher getting a cut. Game companies just want special treatment.
I think why game companies are often rolling out "Get A Free DLC" if you buy certain game brand new - to try and slow down the used-market a bit.

Stop making games that are basically disposable, and lower your prices. $60 isn't exactly cheap for a lot of people, and some people only buy them at that price because they can sell it later and get some of that money back. The people that can't afford the $60 in the first place are waiting for the game to be cheaper,  and used copies hit that price point well before publishers lower the new price. Not everyone is collecting these things.
Also, there's a plethora and ton of games in the market - way more than in the past and ever before. So,

Many games I probably should replay - I just haven't b/c there's always some other new game on the market I'm looking at and wanting. Plus, some games - like DAO and BG2 - they're just LONG as HELL. ;)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 28, 2010, 11:22:26 AM »
Best Buy has also started a gaming magazine.  It's 5.99 in-store or you can subscribe for like 20 a year or something like that.

The magazine is pretty meh, but they include tons of coupons in every magazine.  You have to be a Gamers Club member to use them though (it's free, and a subset of the reward zone program).

September's offerings:

$15 off Splinter Cell Conviction
$20 off Red Dead Redemption
$15 off Dragon Quest IX: Sentinals of the Starry Skies
$20 off Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker
$15 off Kane & Lynch 2 Dog Days
$20 off Final Fantasy XIII
$15 off Metroid: Other M
$10 off Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, August 29, 2010, 10:25:05 AM »
Those actually aren't bad coupons if membership is free.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 03, 2010, 08:08:29 AM »
They have Sin and Punishment on sale this week for 30 bones.