Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 35715 times)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 08:53:45 AM »
Played some more survival last night.  I've managed to forge pathways throughout a majority of the mountain I'm on.  I found some gold for the first time last night, but haven't found anything beyond that.  I'm starting to think that maybe it's time to move on from my current location.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 01:30:45 PM »
How the Enterprise was made

He didn't lay all the blocks. He had floor plans for the levels of the ship, resized to 1 meter = 1 pixel in GIMP, used a block importer for Minecraft and then put all the layer in. So while it took some work to do, its not quite what the video makes it out to be. The "scaffolding" in the video are actually text labels on the original floor plans.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 03:02:28 PM »
Looks like the website is up today.  Hopefully I can get the server up and running tonight.  We'll see.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 07:02:54 PM »
Try connecting to scottws.zapto.org in the Minecraft multiplayer section.  If it doesn't work, try 74.83.30.32.  Let me know what happens.

It's working for me locally.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 07:16:06 PM »
I mined down into a huge cavern from my present location, looks like i'll be staying put for a few

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 07:17:45 PM »
Try connecting to scottws.zapto.org in the Minecraft multiplayer section.  If it doesn't work, try 74.83.30.32.  Let me know what happens.

It's working for me locally.

neither worked for me just now

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 07:20:59 PM »
What's it say?

Edit: Nevermind.  My port forwarding rule didn't save.  Try it again.  BTW the DNS name should work.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 07:54:13 PM »
Got in that time.  That was me, btw if it wasn't already apparent.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 08:00:36 PM »
My motherboard sucks.  Right after you left my NIC locked up.  Not the one on the server, just my desktop.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #89 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 06:40:04 AM »
Has anyone else given the server a try?

I did notice a strange issue where you can't build or mine right around the spawn area, but it works everywhere else.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #90 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 06:41:56 AM »
I didn't know it was up.  I thought the PC crapped out right after I signed off.

I'll probably tool around on it tonight.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #91 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 06:57:22 AM »
No it was my desktop that crapped out.  The server is running on a Debian Ubuntu VMware machine on my old desktop.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 02:21:05 PM by scottws »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #92 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »
I don't have a paid version of the game yet so it won't let me join servers.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #93 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 08:04:05 AM »
Buy it idol!  Far as I'm concerned i'm getting my 13 bucks out of it right now.  Much less down the road when the game is actually fleshed out a little more.

I almost quit in disgust last night.  Over the past two days I've mined down into this expansive cavern that just seems to keep going.  Well, even though I put torches everywhere I visit, monsters still continue to spawn down there.  I had just mined a bunch of stuff and was making my way back up until a creeper came out of nowhere and pwned my ass.

I'm starting to find a lot of iron though, so I started making some iron tools.  I picked up a ton of redstone and gold, and found a few diamonds as well.  So what started in disgust ended in a pleasurable gaming session.  It's neverending.  There's ALWAYS something to do

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #94 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 08:49:20 AM »
Oh, I plan on buying it. Just a matter of timing (birthday is soonish so I might be able to get my brother to buy it for me).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »
Working 16-bit ALU in Minecraft.  So what's next, a kitchen sink?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #96 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 05:26:14 PM »
Oh yeah I was reading about those redstone torches on the wiki and they had all sorts of instructions for creating logic gates.  I thought that was crazy.  Seeing this is... well... it's in a whole other universe of crazy.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 01:19:40 PM »
My new favorite thing to do is making waterfalls.

Also, the compass is the best thing ever if you've built your home at the spawn point. Being able to find your way back from exploring is AWESOME.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #98 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 11:38:24 AM »
OMG OMG
-Explore a scary new realm!
A brand new hell world for fast travel. Portal in, move ten meters, portal out, and you're hundreds of meters away.

-Fight scary new monsters!
Actually difficult this time around.

-Experience scarier depths!
The deeper you are, the brighter it has to be to stay safe.

-Be scared of the dark!
Torches will die after a while. Use flint and steel to reignite, or place lanterns that last forever.

-Catch scary fish!
Or possibly just regular fish.

-Scare other players online!
Less bugs, more implemented features.

-Carve scary jack-o-lanterns!
Pumpkins can also be worn as totally useless helmets.

-Keep track of the scary time!
A craftable watch lets you know when it's safe to emerge from the caves.

-And more!
Biomes. More music. Better sounds.

Coming October 31, 1010
http://www.minecraft.net/boo/

Also, I just bought the game. Now I can have a custom skin and play multiplayer! Yay!
« Last Edit: Monday, October 04, 2010, 12:40:14 PM by idolminds »

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #99 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 01:20:07 PM »
Well, replacing all those torches with lanterns should be fun...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #100 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »
I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere, but rumor has it that all current torches will be converted to lanterns when the update comes out.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #101 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 01:55:50 PM »
I wonder how hard it will be to make a lantern. I'm sorta guessing it'll be some combination of iron, wood, and coal. Iron is pretty tough to come by for me. Over the course of my weekend playing I might have found 50 pieces at most. I do know that I'll be more conservative with light in above ground structures after the update.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #102 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 02:09:09 PM »
It might be as simple as a torch + glass. Or maybe glass + coal + iron? The iron thing it going to be a big pain if its required. Hopefully each "craft" makes like 4 lanterns. As it is is save all my iron for picks, and even then only use it on special materials like redstone or gold.

It would be cool if he added a new ore, like copper. Better than stone, weaker than iron, but more abundant.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #103 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »
That'd be fun. It could be used for armor too (a step between leather and iron). Although I imagine I'd need to make a new map then. Bummer.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #104 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 02:49:59 PM »
I did find out I can't keep my server running endlessly.  I guess it crashes out at some point and I haven't figured out why.  So I usually bring it up and play a little bit and stop it again.  It does save everything.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #105 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 03:19:27 PM »
Ah, I tried to connect to it earlier just to try it out but it was down.

Since I'm registered now, I can use a custom skin! I wasn't sure what to make, but then...inspiration!

See the Ultimate Cheesebrothers skin here!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 04:00:02 PM »
So matt showed me the crazy building complex he built. Its crazy, and has a volcano. So I thought, man...I need to step up my game! Get building! I can make something cool!

Then I find a cave and spend all my time exploring it. It was literally a hole in the ground with a waterfall leading in. Its a good thing I took things a little slow and didnt let the water take me all the way in, because right where the water stopped was a huge vertical shaft with a lava pool at the bottom! I built a makeshift staircase down there, got some redstone, a couple diamonds, some gold, and Im getting a lot of coal. There are a couple lava pools in the area. One had some water already on it so I can mine out the obsidian if I felt like it. I'm tempted to make more obsidian from the pools, but they aren't really useful other than decoration. Now I'm thinking of saving the lava so I can pick it up in buckets and use it as a light source in whatever it is I end up building.

You know...when I get around to building.

EDIT

I thought I fully explored that cave, so I went to look at another one nearby. It was also huge, lots of running water and lava in these caves. Turns out its actually connected to my first cave. I need to get ambitious here, I have so many materials now. Lots of iron, coal, a smattering of gold, lots of redstone...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 08:02:57 PM by idolminds »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 04:02:34 AM »
Here is a question.  What do all the levers and pressure plates you can build do?  I mean it says they are used to activate things.  Activate what?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 08:37:37 AM »
Doors and minecarts. Not sure what else, I havent looked into them.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 11:41:22 AM »
How do you tie one to a door?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »
I think you use redstone trails. Ive never actually done it so I'm not sure.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
I think you put the switch on any adjacent block and it will activate the door. A switch will also activate a redstone torch, but then those also act as pwer sources, but with the default setting being "on". There's ways to hide your redstone wires too if you want your switch further away. I think you can have a door, then a solid block under it, then an empty block, and then redstone wire under that. That, I think, will power the door (which is technically 2 blocks above it. From top to bottom, it would look like this:

Door
solid block
empty block
solid block with redstone wire on top

Then that redstone wire can lead out to a switch. The redstone with step up on block in height so you can bring it back up to the door's level so it's in a place you can activate it from. Also, redstone wire will only carry a signal so far. But if you put a redstone torch in the middle somewhere it will move forward from that with full power. Redstone torches are on by default though, so you'd end up inverting the power, unless you use 2 redstone torches, turning it into a repeater.

To make a long story short, watch these 3 power/switch/minecart booster tutorial videos on YouTube:
Bob's Minecraft Tutorial 1
Bob's Minecraft Tutorial 2
Bob's Minecraft Tutorial 3

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
Today I rebuilt my lighting solution for my small base. I had a ceiling made of glass, and then had lava pouring over the entire building, leaving an entrance way and bridge over a moat where the lava would collect. It looked cool, but made doing things to the building difficult ("Lets put a window right over here...IT BURNS!").And despite a ceiling of glass with lava all over it, it was kind of dim inside. Weird. But if you make a glass floor and put lava underneath you get much better lighting inside, and it keeps your feet warm. Just don't drop anything heavy...heh.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 06:04:27 PM »
So the Halloween update will be making torches burn out after a certain amount of time, meaning you have to relight them. Also meaning you can't just leave torches as a bread crumb trail. Or say you're digging/traveling deep into a cave and lighting the way with torches. Depending on how long you take, the way back may be dark and have monsters.

However, all existing torches will become lanterns, which won't blow out. Lanterns will be a seperate crafting recipe, which I don't think anyone's been told what it will involve.

So, since existing torches will become lanterns, should I just build a big ass lantern farm by planting an obscene amount of torches? Though, if biomes come too, my existing world won't have any in areas I've explored already, so I may just want to start over again at that point anyway.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 06:37:48 PM »
Yeah, its a tough call. I'll probably end up just generating a new world once the patch comes out, and since all my old caves will automatically have lanterns I might keep that save just to goof around in.

Also, I hope lanterns can be hung from ceilings.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 09:17:55 PM »
I dunno why, but I keep creating these massive, epic statues of valiant heroes next to my house that take up enormous amounts of space. And my house looks hilariously small next to them.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #116 on: Sunday, October 10, 2010, 01:43:44 PM »
Screenshot of the new Hell dimension:

Preview of new music being added.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me