Author Topic: Koran burning  (Read 6732 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Koran burning
« on: Saturday, September 11, 2010, 07:39:40 AM »
So, what does everyone think about this?  Personally I think burning the Koran is insensitive, ignorant, and probably will increase the threat of terror attacks and incite more people to join the Islamic extremists.  At the same time I do not agree with the fact that law enforcement and media outlets are basically attempting to censor the event because I feel burning the Koran falls under the concept of free speech, just like the local Ku Klux Klan in Cincinnati used to put a cross on Fountain Square every year and no one could legally do anything about it because it was free speech.

The government and media stomping out this Koran burning is a slippery slope, even if the burning is stupid in the first place.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Koran burning
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, September 11, 2010, 07:44:04 AM »
It's dumb, period.  They have every right to do it though.

They're needlessly putting many people at danger.  And in a country where we already look unfavorably on Muslims (and vice versa), this definitely won't help ease tensions.  Definitely a case where demonstration of free speech will cause harm to innocent parties.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, September 11, 2010, 08:21:27 AM »
I feel the same. They have a right to do it so shouldn't be stopped, but its an extremely stupid thing to do. I don't know what message they are trying to send or what response they hope to receive and I don't think they even thought that far ahead. Their only goal is "piss off some Muslims"...what a noble deed [rolleyes].

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, September 11, 2010, 09:45:14 AM »
I feel the same.  Dumb, but protected expression.  People burn all sorts of things as symbolic gestures, and Islam should not be exempt from ridicule or contempt.  Nothing else is.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, September 11, 2010, 03:39:45 PM »
Didn't the guy already call it off, though?  I think he did.  Either way, fucking idiotic.  Everyone thinks so except for the 30 or so people who actually stayed at this church, which was tiny to begin with.  He didn't deserve even a 15th of the exposure that he got.  Fucking redneck.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 02:14:18 PM »
Everyone has the right to do practically anything they want, they just have to be able to live with the consequences of their actions. Hence life and the ever-uttered questions of morality and ethics. I have the right to act an asshole but I'd be stupid not to expect to be treated like one.

The act of burning a holy Qur'an is not offensive. It is actually the proper and cleanest way to dispose of any holy item. However, the cruel intention behind the action is the offensive part. This guy is just a bigot looking for attention.

Of course there are hordes of ignorant shits on both sides: On one hand there's the jackass instigating violence (and his supporters), then there are the assholes who would attack innocents on account of said jackass.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 10:02:59 PM »
This just in: People are stupid.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 14, 2010, 07:03:42 PM »
I don't get why they can't just burn asians like the rest of us.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 14, 2010, 09:52:12 PM »
asians are flame retardant

everyone knows that
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, September 15, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
I was hoping someone would pickup on my hint and change the title of this thread to Korean Burning

But yes, everyone knows asians are retarded.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, September 15, 2010, 03:00:47 PM »
Your reading level seems to be on par with your DoD skills.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, September 15, 2010, 11:05:37 PM »
Sure thing Mr "Oh, I don't have it installed anymore...why don't we just play SCII?"

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »
I'm up for some SCII.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 07:49:05 PM »
"Gpw, the 2 AI are attacking with massive armies... My carriers and mothership will soon be overwhelmed I need hel-- oh you only have like 8 marines? We're fucked"
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 11:53:30 PM »
You forget that we Canadians are devious.  To you, that was co-op...to me that was pvp.  You Koreans can't even get along with each other, let alone AI controlled nations.

But really, this is a serious topic, I think we should move our conversation elsewhere...out of respect.

Leave it to a godless asian to piss all over something sacred.