Author Topic: Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Follow up!  (Read 32412 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Follow up!
« Reply #160 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012, 07:00:43 AM »
Durante's DSFix V 1.0 for Dark Souls PC introduces reconfigurable controls on KB/mouse via an INI file and SSAO support.

DSfix 1.0
Posted on 2012-09-07

This version fixes the following issues:
Crashing when alt-tabbing back into fullscreen mode
Correctly restore the render pipeline after the SMAA step (this may fix the sporadic issues with SMAA)

It introduces these features:
All the hotkeys are now configurable in DSfixKeys.ini
Integrated SSAO. Note that there are still some artifacts caused by the effect. The adventurous can enable the “reloadSSAOEffect” keybinding and try to tweak the VSSAO.fx effect file.

I’m not happy with the current state of the SSAO, but I wanted to get the release out because of the bugfixes and configurable keybindings that people asked for.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #161 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012, 07:13:07 AM »
Wow, I wish we had this guy working on Ghost Recon Future Soldier!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #162 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012, 07:37:36 AM »
Wow, I wish we had this guy working on Ghost Recon Future Soldier!
Given the disaster you said GR:FS PC is - yeah, that'd probably help, hehe!

Hehe, it's amazing that ONE person has took it upon himself to fix all this.
Seriously - FROM Software needs to hire this guy for PC ports, send him money, or do something. He's basically FIXING and IMPROVING From's basic-lazy port.
Oh, it gets better...
Durante's next patch looks like it will have "1080p DoF with fast high quality separable gaussian blur support."
And DSFix Version 1.1 is probably coming sometime today...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #163 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012, 07:43:12 AM »
Awesome. I'm really tempted to pick this up. I want to play the game again so badly.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #164 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012, 11:17:32 AM »
DSFix 1.1 released by Durante for Dark Souls PC.

DSfix 1.1
Posted on 2012-09-09
This is a rather big one.

Bugfixes:
SSAO depth buffer inaccuracy fixed. Removes line artifacts from SSAO.
Added further renderpipeline state restoration after SMAA and checks whether we are at the correct stage. May (again) fix the SMAA issues some people are having.
Fixed windows scaling issue when toggling between borderless windowed fullscreen and windowed mode.

New features:
SSAO is now configurable in the .ini, with 3 strength presets (low, medium and high).
Optional high-quality DoF blur. This allows you to set the sharpness as intended while still maintaining very high DoF image quality.
And maybe the most requested one: HUD on/off toggle as bindable key action. Default is the right Ctrl key.

I’m a bit burnt out now after basically spending ~90% of my free time on this for almost 3 weeks.
I’ll probably start getting the fix cleaned up for an open source release so that others can pick up the torch.

From Durante's new DS Fix FAQ V2 -- we might see his DSFix go open-source as soon as next weekend.
Will you release the source code?
Yes, as soon as it is at least remotely presentable and I no longer make large changes daily. I hope it will help people attempt similar things for other games and/or implement the 100s of features people are asking for in Dark Souls that I will never get to. I guess it should be ready some time next weekend.

EDIT:
DSFix V 1.2 adds texture-override functionality for custom textures!
DSFix V 1.3 adds support for the HUD - resizable HUD, minimal HUD support & HUD opacity settings.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 13, 2012, 04:32:49 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #166 on: Sunday, September 16, 2012, 10:54:54 PM »
Totally stole this game to see how bad it really is...and it is bad. I spent several minutes in the jail cell (at the beginning), pushing every button on the keyboard to try and loot the corpse. The developers didn't even bother changing the control commands that pop up on screen from the Xbox version.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 09:28:25 AM »
Console DLC coming Oct 24th

The new and additional Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss content will be released on Xbox Live and PSN on 24th October, Namco Bananas has said.
:D

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #169 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 09:57:13 AM »
Happy times.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »
Console DLC coming Oct 24th
 :D

Awesome, I would like to play through this again with a new character.  I've been hearing good things about the DLC content itself.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #171 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 11:39:55 PM »
I bought this on a whim a few weeks ago. I remembered reading the Demons Souls thread here long ago and enjoying it despite knowing nothing about what I was reading. I've been using a 360 controller, I didn't even bother with the keyboard as I assumed that I would be as frustrated as Nickclone - the devs basically said if it was going to PC it was going to be a direct port and don't bother expecting anything else. And, as a result, you pretty much have to download the latest DXFix that MysterD posted, since the game defaults to 1024x768 without it.

I'm not sure what the easy mode is, I saw something about it after I bought it but I haven't looked for the option so I don't know if it's there. The game is pretty challenging but is tons of fun. Running through an area for the first time and figuring out how to tackle it (or just to let it be for now) is lots of fun. It's not a game that I play much, but once a week or so I load it up and knock out a section that I've been on for a minute. Getting to the next bonfire or beating the boss that has been kicking your ass is pretty rewarding.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #172 on: Friday, September 21, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »
I bought this on a whim a few weeks ago. I remembered reading the Demons Souls thread here long ago and enjoying it despite knowing nothing about what I was reading. I've been using a 360 controller, I didn't even bother with the keyboard as I assumed that I would be as frustrated as Nickclone - the devs basically said if it was going to PC it was going to be a direct port and don't bother expecting anything else. And, as a result, you pretty much have to download the latest DXFix that MysterD posted, since the game defaults to 1024x768 without it.

I'm not sure what the easy mode is, I saw something about it after I bought it but I haven't looked for the option so I don't know if it's there. The game is pretty challenging but is tons of fun. Running through an area for the first time and figuring out how to tackle it (or just to let it be for now) is lots of fun. It's not a game that I play much, but once a week or so I load it up and knock out a section that I've been on for a minute. Getting to the next bonfire or beating the boss that has been kicking your ass is pretty rewarding.

There is no easy mode on this game.  It was something being considered by the game director for the next game they do that some news sites ran articles on.  Glad to hear you're enjoying it though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, September 23, 2012, 09:16:38 AM »
DSFix V 1.5 released - which also incorporates Nwk's 60 FPS mod.

It’s been a while, but I just released a new version of DSfix!

Bugfixes:
Fixed an issue with SSAO being rendered on top of particle effects/fog/water, instead of below them.
Improved the method used to determine when in the render pipeline to apply SMAA/SSAO, and also included more robust renderstate management. (This may fix the random display corruption issue people have been sporadically reporting ever since SMAA was included)
Tweaked the SSAO parameters a bit

New features:
As many modders requested, you can now load .dds texture overrides in addition to .png
It is now possible to set the desired target FPS of the game in the .ini, thanks to Nwks (Clément Barnier)! (This is fully integrated and also works correctly together with the intro skip feature)

Regarding the FPS override feature, please carefully read the notes in the .ini
This is the most invasive feature of DSfix, and thus carries the highest risk.

I am well aware that there are still many issues remaining with the minimal HuD, and since it seems like no one is fixing them I will get back to it at some point.

As for the performance requirements of 60 FPS, personally (after disabling all power management options for my GPU and CPU) I can mostly maintain 60 FPS at 1080p, 810 DoF with DoF blur 1, SMAA 4 and SSAO 2. This is on an i7 920 at 3.6 GHz and a 660ti.

EDIT -> 9-29-2012:
DSFix 1.6.1 released.

DSfix 1.6.1
Posted on 2012-09-29
Sorry about the bug in 1.6, it *should* be fixed now.

Changelog:
Fixed sporadic graphics issues introduced in 1.6
Fixed modified HUD issues with very long spell names
Fixed modified HUD issues with “POISONED”/”BLOOD LOSS” text

EDIT -> 9-30-2012:
DSFix 1.7 released.

DSfix 1.7
Posted on 2012-09-29
And one more for the road.

Changes:
Re-implemented the FPS limiter. It’s quite exact now and also performed at a better point in time (before presenting the frame)
Made frame period calculation (for animation) slightly more exact
Added FPS thresholding for SMAA. What this means is that you can supply a value – say 45 FPS – and if the game is in danger of dropping below that, SMAA will be disabled. It will be re-enabled once the framerate is safely above the threshold again.
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 30, 2012, 01:49:52 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #174 on: Sunday, October 28, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »
Damn, this game is BRUTAL. :-x "Prepare To Die Edition"? More like "You're Dead Edition."

Anyways, the combat is awesome! It's kinda too bad that...I kinda suck at this game and am still trying to get used to the combat itself and its controls. I didn't care for the graphics quality and low-res (1024x768) out the box, so I'm running DSFix at 30 FPS since I'm playing online, since using Framerate unlocker feature to 60 FPS can and will result in a G4WL/XBL ban (b/c doing so modifies the game code) - certainly NOT interested in that.

I've made my way...
(click to show/hide)

Always interesting to read the Messages players leave; AND see their Ghosts and how they died.

Despite constant flow of death, I can't STOP playing this damn thing...
Must go play...MORE.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #175 on: Sunday, October 28, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »
I grabbed it on the sale price. Bit wasteful of me, but I can't help it. This is one of the best games I've ever played, I wanted to try it on the PC, and wouldn't mind going through again at some point, especially now that I know the ropes.

D:
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #176 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 11:02:55 AM »
I grabbed it on the sale price. Bit wasteful of me, but I can't help it. This is one of the best games I've ever played, I wanted to try it on the PC, and wouldn't mind going through again at some point, especially now that I know the ropes.

D:
(click to show/hide)

Thanks a lot for the advice...

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 03:29:44 PM »
I beat that boss last night! Finally!

(click to show/hide)

B/c the game is so punishing, the feeling of victory is just so awesome, so sweet & so satisfying!

...But then, after a little bit talking to an NPC and then walking...

(click to show/hide)

This game is just downright BRUTAL!

Every time I die, I have the feeling of "Shit! I MUST get those lost SOULS back", so I can get to a Bonfire, upgrade, and be ready to try to battle some more enemies....and eventually be ready for whatever boss will come my way.
It seems b/c of the way this game's designed (with the lost SOULS being the carrot), it's a never-ending cycle of "I must go back for more!"

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
Yep. That about sums it up. But it just gets better and deeper and richer as it goes and you dig into the world. Also harder. Way way harder.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »
Yep. That about sums it up. But it just gets better and deeper and richer as it goes and you dig into the world. Also harder. Way way harder.

I think if enemies didn't respawn after a Bonfine, this game would be even MORE DIFFICULT. That might've been the point of no return for me OR flat-out take a vacation away from this game for quite some time - but, this isn't the case. It keeps pulling my back in, eventually.

But b/c of the enemies respawning when you hit a Bonfire - once you figure out how to defeat certain enemies or bosses, you can (more or less) grind your way to eventual success. If I die; I get sent back to the last Bonfire; grind some more; get some more NEW souls + then get my Lost Souls back; and then level-up at a Bonfire (whether either I go back to last Bonfire OR actually make my way to next Bonfire).

Damn, this game....is something else.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, November 03, 2012, 08:32:58 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #182 on: Saturday, November 03, 2012, 11:27:32 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #183 on: Sunday, November 04, 2012, 01:46:55 AM »
You masochists! Super Meat Boy is at least entertaining, this is torture! Make some snuff films out of your in-game footage!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #184 on: Sunday, November 04, 2012, 07:03:27 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #185 on: Sunday, November 04, 2012, 07:59:25 AM »
I still think this is probably the best game of its kind ever made. Hardly masochistic to enjoy oneself so much.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #186 on: Sunday, November 04, 2012, 01:11:55 PM »
I still think this is probably the best game of its kind ever made. Hardly masochistic to enjoy oneself so much.
Haha it's masochistic to enjoy so much torture!

I just like to bust on this game and rip on you guys :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #187 on: Sunday, November 04, 2012, 01:35:20 PM »
You just need to be more patient with the game, put your pride aside, and pick your battles. Honestly, I didn't die nearly so much.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #188 on: Sunday, November 04, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
You just need to be more patient with the game, put your pride aside, and pick your battles. Honestly, I didn't die nearly so much.
I don't know man.. I can't go ninja, causin' all kinds of ninjuries to my unwary foes! It's no fun!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #189 on: Monday, November 05, 2012, 03:59:46 PM »
Kotaku -> SPOILERS - Purpose of the Pendant in Dark Souls.

Dark Souls was notoriously one of the most challenging games of 2011. It killed players over and over, sometimes rewarding patience and determination in the face of death and failure with yet more death and failure.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #191 on: Saturday, December 08, 2012, 11:23:57 AM »
FINALLY defeated The Capra Demon today!!

Here's how I did it!
(click to show/hide)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: Saturday, August 03, 2013, 12:48:30 AM »
I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW TO PLAY THIS?!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #193 on: Saturday, August 03, 2013, 01:36:42 AM »
Yeah.. I know how you feel.

After giving it more time (a lot more than it deserves) due to a friend who encouraged me to play it, I now understand it but I don't see how it's fun in any way. It's a game that doesn't respect the player and that's why I'm convinced that people who do enjoy it are masochistic and enjoy a little punishment :P *cough*Que*cough*

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #194 on: Saturday, August 03, 2013, 02:00:54 AM »

YOU KILL THINGS WITH THE STABBY/SMASHY/MAGIC PART UNTIL IT DIES!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #196 on: Saturday, August 03, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
I would think a first person mod would make the game harder with no benefit. You lose the situational awareness of things around you.