Author Topic: City Club Dark Fight.  (Read 18861 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
City Club Dark Fight.
« on: Sunday, November 05, 2006, 09:59:12 PM »
I realized two things this evening, and both were quite profound despite the fact that I have no idea what the fuck I'm supposed to do with the information.

The two things are as follows:

A - Watching Dark City makes me realize that there's a market for my work out there, and also that there's a very good chance I'll be able to make something of myself as a writer if I really put my mind to it.

B - Watching Fight Club makes me realize that I'm a shitty writer with no sense of originality whatsoever.

Fuck.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Dark City.  I think that's a damn good movie.  But the more that I think about it, the more I start to wonder if that isn't the problem.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: City Club Dark Fight.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, November 05, 2006, 11:35:19 PM »
Originality comes in short spurts. No one is original all the time. Getting down on yourself like this is not good, have confidence in your writing. If you don't no one else will.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, November 05, 2006, 11:49:04 PM »
Oh, I have confidence in my writing -- just not always in the ideas.  This isn't a crisis moment or anything, more just a moment of realization about how rare it is to find people that really and truly show us something we've never seen before.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 06, 2006, 07:22:43 AM »
True originality is very difficult.  I discovered that, to my dismay, long ago.  I think the best we can hope for, aside from the ridiculously rare lightning strike, is combining existing concepts in new ways.