Author Topic: Atlas Shrugged film coming this April  (Read 3805 times)

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Atlas Shrugged film coming this April
« on: Friday, February 11, 2011, 08:34:02 PM »
So, it's here after being in development hell forever.

Looks mildly interesting, but I am kinda not digging the modern setting.  I would have been more interested in seeing it take place in during the time period of the book.  Good news is that they are doing a trilogy, which is good since doing the book into one movie would have been impossible.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Atlas Shrugged film coming this April
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 12:51:27 AM »
I was going to say 'unfilmable' till you said it was a trilogy.

edit:

Oh good, a modern day version. And by good, I mean the opposite.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 11:17:35 AM »
That was underwhelming.. Maybe I'll watch it when I'm 55 and have nothing better to do.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to sound cruel I was just very disappointed by the that trailer.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 02:12:21 PM »
That was underwhelming.. Maybe I'll watch it when I'm 55 and have nothing better to do.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to sound cruel I was just very disappointed by the that trailer.

Yeah, I almost felt the same way, I will probably wait till it hits Netflix.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 13, 2011, 08:08:22 AM »
Since they are using the title "Atlas Shrugged" - why the hell is this set in the modern times?  :o
It should have a different title, if it ain't gonna be close to the book in most regards.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 13, 2011, 11:38:18 AM »
Hmm.  It seemed like a somewhat subpar trailer for a decent movie.  I mean, how are you going to make an exciting trailer for a film like this?  This isn't something with a whole lot of obvious intrigue or excitement, not in the ways that come to mind when you imagine a trailer.  It should have been much shorter and far more sparse.  Still, the movie doesn't look bad.  It's an interesting decision to have it in a modern setting.  I honestly can't say if I think that's interesting in a good or bad way at this point.  I'll see it first before I make any hard judgments.

Still, I'm hopeful.  It looks like it could be a decent film.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 02:01:16 AM »
Since they are using the title "Atlas Shrugged" - why the hell is this set in the modern times?  :o
It should have a different title, if it ain't gonna be close to the book in most regards.

The time period is by far the least important aspect of the setting of Atlas Shrugged.  I was actually surprised by how much it seems they didn't change (well, from what we could tell from the trailer).  But really, I have a feeling that the movie will suck.  The only real question is if it'll be the same sort of suck as the book.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 06:48:16 PM »
You know what this movie needs?  Jerry Bruckheimer.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 07:04:04 PM »
You know what this movie needs?  Jerry Bruckheimer.
It needs to NOT be made, if it gonna be called Atlas Shrugged.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 07:59:24 PM »
The time period is by far the least important aspect of the setting of Atlas Shrugged.

Yeah, I know the time period is not the important part of the setting for the story, its more of a personal preference to see a movie that takes place in the 1930s-50s, which is how I imagined it when I was reading the book.

Watching the trailer again has me a little more optimistic though, hopefully it's good.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 01:54:14 AM »
It needs to NOT be made, if it gonna be called Atlas Shrugged.

Actually, it looks better than the book.  Here's hoping that they turn it into something concise and engaging by cutting out the approximately 600 pages of masturbatory and horribly written filler Rand felt needed to be in there.

But, really, all that aside; the book doesn't actually take place in any specific time period.