Author Topic: Apple are jerks  (Read 10917 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Apple are jerks
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 07:12:41 AM »
This is the first I'm hearing of this Righthaven outfit, though I did read the two articles.  Does seem pretty shitty.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 07:36:03 AM »
More Apple jerkiness:  http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/01/apple-screwing-new-iphones-out-of-simple-diy-repair.ars.

Want to keep people out of iPhones is one thing, but out of MacBooks?  Assholes.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 07:58:08 AM »
Ha!  They are determined to validate our hatred every day, aren't they?

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 08:49:24 AM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 09:11:17 AM »
Mmm, I think I'd rather put the author in his place.  He may very knowledgeable, but he does not come across as impartial.  I don't have time right now to dissect it all.  I read through about half of it, and I'm sure I'll get back to it later.

Just a quick salvo before I go, saying that software patents don't exist because they aren't singled out or treated any differently is like saying that green Chevys don't exist because General Motors ads don't mention that particular color of vehicle.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »
Just a quick salvo before I go, saying that software patents don't exist because they aren't singled out or treated any differently is like saying that green Chevys don't exist because General Motors ads don't mention that particular color of vehicle.
I get what you're but I think the author meant that the current system was not appropriated for software. Software patents exist but they're not a good fit for software, which should be treated differently than tangible materials.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 09:38:26 AM »
The article was pretty well written.  It's basically telling us to stop throwing our hands up in the air and to start looking at it seriously to fix the broken parts because it isn't wholly broken.  That said, what he is getting at is sweeping patent reform.  Unfortunately "reform" is a dirty word in American politics and as such it almost never occurs anymore.

So for now we'll just add it to the list of things that need reform in the U.S.:

• tort law
  • the FCC
  • health care
  • tax law
  • patent law (new!)

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »
Cobra, keep reading. The second half of the article gets into the specifics that address some of your issues.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 10:17:54 AM »
OK, I need to read more of it then.  As I said, I only got through maybe a half of it before I had to go do stuff.  Hopefully the rest will make a better impression.

Edit:  The rest of the article made a better impression, but I still feel he's defending the concept of software patents too much.  First of all, many processes and algorithms become obvious to a programmer after he spends a while tackling a problem.  Chances are he'll happen upon a solution that has been patented, simply because it is the most efficient way to go.  Look at some of the UI shit getting patented.  Once upon a time, XOR cursors were patented too.  That's straight boolean algebra, very useful (and obvious) for primitive computer displays without separate frame buffers.  Second, the pace of advancements in technology means that even a few years of monopoly will choke independent innovation.  By the time a patent expires, the game has moved well beyond it.

I think there's a problem here at the conceptual level, not just the definition one.  At least he acknowledges the problems and proposes (limited) solutions.  But yeah, I'm one of the angry mob he mentions.  Bring out the torches and pitchforks, some tar and feathers too.  Let's head to the patent office . . .    :P
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 10:45:28 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 02:04:44 PM »
* Quemaqua beats dead horse.

The world makes me sad.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #90 on: Thursday, October 27, 2011, 06:24:01 AM »
Not critical news, but good news nontheless: remember that lawsuit profiteering organization, Righthaven? Yeah, they just got hit with largest fine yet: $119,488!

Nevada's homegrown copyright troll, Righthaven, started life with a plan to save the newspaper business through infringement lawsuits—but nearly staggering incompetence has left the company on the receiving end of fine after fine from federal judges. Today, Righthaven was hit with a new fine for $116,718 in legal fees and $2,770 in costs.

Courtesy of Ars Technica