Author Topic: Great Onion article on 9/11 and on  (Read 5994 times)

Offline shock

• Poster Child
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Great Onion article on 9/11 and on
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 11:42:51 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!!!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 12:21:18 PM »
Because everyone knows peace, love and understanding solves everything.  Like prison, where you won't ever get raped if you bend over with a beatific smile on your face.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 05:27:11 PM »
I like it. It's like the Krugman article that cause a semi uproar but more fun.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 07:31:05 AM »
I like it. It's like the Krugman article that cause a semi uproar but more fun.

What happened after 9/11 — and I think even people on the right know this, whether they admit it or not — was deeply shameful. The atrocity should have been a unifying event, but instead it became a wedge issue. Fake heroes like Bernie Kerik, Rudy Giuliani, and, yes, George W. Bush raced to cash in on the horror. And then the attack was used to justify an unrelated war the neocons wanted to fight, for all the wrong reasons.

A lot of other people behaved badly. How many of our professional pundits — people who should have understood very well what was happening — took the easy way out, turning a blind eye to the corruption and lending their support to the hijacking of the atrocity?

A good summary of the situation.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 08:18:08 AM »
I saw the Krugman article.  Tact and timing aside, it's excellent.  Apparently Donald Rumsfeld cancelled his subscription to the NYTimes based on the article (lol).

Krugman wrote another one yesterday that I like even more:

More About the 9/11 Anniversary

It looks as if I should say a bit more about yesterday’s anniversary. So:

The fact is that the two years or so after 9/11 were a terrible time in America – a time of political exploitation and intimidation, culminating in the deliberate misleading of the nation into the invasion of Iraq. It’s probably worth pointing out that I’m not saying anything now that I wasn’t saying in real time back then, when Bush had a sky-high approval rating and any criticism was denounced as treason. And there’s nothing I’ve done in my life of which I’m more proud.

It was a time when tough talk was confused with real heroism, when people who made speeches, then feathered their own political or financial nests, were exalted along with – and sometimes above – those who put their lives on the line, both on the evil day and after.

So it was a shameful episode in our nation’s history – and it’s one that I can’t help thinking about whenever we talk about 9/11 itself.

Now, I should have said that the American people behaved remarkably well in the weeks and months after 9/11: There was very little panic, and much more tolerance than one might have feared. Muslims weren’t lynched, and neither were dissenters, and that was something of which we can all be proud.

But the memory of how the atrocity was abused is and remains a painful one. And it’s a story that I, at least, can neither forget nor forgive.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 09:42:56 AM »
The worst thing about the Bush era wasn't the dual invasions.  They were really bad, but his deregulation and huge tax breaks really fucked this country and in some ways the world economy because of it.