Author Topic: Kickstarter thread  (Read 47732 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Kickstarter thread
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, July 07, 2012, 05:16:48 PM »
Paper Sorcerer

One of those 3D first person turn based dungeon crawl games. But all the art is hand drawn by one dude, and it looks really snazzy! Its well over goal already with 30-ish hours remaining but I mention it because as a backer of as little as $3 you can get a DRM-free copy of the game for yourself.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, July 08, 2012, 10:03:08 PM »
GameDock is doing what Apple should be doing and turning your iOS devices into home consoles. Some limitations, namely the controller is a clone of the NES controller, and games have to have iCade support so you won't be able to play everything, but its still a neat idea.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #42 on: Monday, July 09, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
Hmmm...not sure what to think about this one.

Star Command part 2. In part 1 they wanted to make an iOS game. Asked for $20k, got $37k. Well this new kickstarter is asking for $100k to make a PC version.

Now I think the game looks awesome and would love a PC version, but the original hasn't even come out. They mention some of the funds raised here will be used to finish off the iOS release. Its not so much that I mind they are doing that, but it still seems like a tough sell when you haven't even made good on the first funding run you had, you know?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 10:30:08 AM »
So another odd one. Penny Arcade Sells Out. A kickstarter for PA to not have to run ads on their site. Uh...ok. Not really sure thats the kind of thing that KS is really for, you know...funding already wildly successful businesses.

An interesting one is the OUYA game console. $99, Android-based console. Could be interesting.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »
That gamedock and now this OUYA have me puzzled.  Last time I looked, console gaming was alive and well.  I know iOS et al represent new markets, but they don't replace console gaming on a TV.  They are something else entirely.  These kickstarter projects, particularly the last one, seem to be a solution in search of a need.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 01:42:18 PM »
I think a cheap open console could be cool. Something indies could easily dev on without having to jump through MS or Sonys hoops. Theres nothing really stopping deeper games being made for Android or iOS but that sort of thing isn't really conductive to mobile platforms and touchscreens. So this sort of solves that while still having the compatibility and sharing the same programming knowhow.

I guess. Really though a $99 box I can run emulators on my TV easily would be awesome.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 06:19:55 PM »
This one is sad. Board game, funded, $8k. That was a year ago and its not done. And the reason? A voice that identifies itself as the Sun told her not to. Or something.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »
This one is sad. Board game, funded, $8k. That was a year ago and its not done. And the reason? A voice that identifies itself as the Sun told her not to. Or something.

What the fuck?  And what happens if she never finishes it?

As for the consoles.  Gamedock is a good idea, but waaaay over priced.  It's bascially just a passthrough and it looks like it's going to cost $100-$150.   Ouya is something I could stand behind more, and it's a fully functioning and open game console for $100.  It's model is based less on taking advantage of mobile games that are out there and more on allowing people to developing games for it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 08:06:19 PM »
Nothing happens. Thats the thing about Kickstarter, if the creator flakes out and just walks with the money...thats the risk you take as a donator.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 04:08:18 AM »

What the fuck?  And what happens if she never finishes it?

I will also reiterate... What the fuck?!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 04:26:41 AM »
There have to be some legal implications. What's Kickstarter's stance on situations like that?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 05:27:08 AM »
I'm curious too.  The investors can sue as a class, but $8K is not worth that trouble.  My feeling is that cases like this one will affect Kickstarter in the future, if it doesn't have a mechanism in place already to deal with them.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 07:09:26 AM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »
That clarifies a lot.  Thanks.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »

. . .

As for the consoles.  Gamedock is a good idea, but waaaay over priced.  It's bascially just a passthrough and it looks like it's going to cost $100-$150.   Ouya is something I could stand behind more, and it's a fully functioning and open game console for $100.  It's model is based less on taking advantage of mobile games that are out there and more on allowing people to developing games for it.

Looks like a few other people agree with you.  $3 million for the OUYA with 28 days yet to go.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 10:41:54 PM »
Honestly, the Ouya seems like a good concept and a pretty good deal.  I'm still amazed at how they thought the same of the GameDock though.  More money for less, and they ripped off a retro controller and used the NES controller as the basis?  Like, fuck.  At least go SNES or Playstation. The NES controller is nostalgic, but shitty.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 02:01:15 AM »

I checked back up on this and it seems she found a solution to her problem.  Which, if anyone read, was that the card stock she was using was too thick for the printer she had.  The solution?  Why, use the inkjet instead of the laser!  Honestly, I think she's that borderline kind of crazy.  The kind where small problems seem insurmountable (worst case scenario - hey guys, I need like $50 more dollars), and you have to describe them as the sun totally having a personal vendetta against you.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 02:40:23 AM »
This is totally unrelated to gaming, but Kickstarter kind of sucks.  Pay for my hipster vacation.  Thank god it's not going to get funded (because fuck those hipsters).

Skip to 2:04 of the video. A hipster in a hat store (WTF?) telling some weird story within a story about how a garbage boat changed her life.  Listen to her last statement there.

It had all of the best things on it, that I didn't know were possible all in one place.  And I was like; oh, it is possible!  And it just felt like home.

Note that the best things she's talking about are like the worst things to everyone else in the world:  All they show are people acting like clowns without the makeup.  Bike jousts and hula hoops.

Oh, but it's an open-source travelling show.  WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?  Well, at least if the Kickstarter doesn't work, the trip doesn't happen like you say, right?  Except you put in on July 9th, you fucking idiots.

I hope they starve.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 07:52:27 AM »
ROFL at the hiptser vacation. I'm not sure how anyone could watch that final video and then actually put it up on the internet with a serious mindset.

As far as the Ouya, I thought it was really stupid at first. Then I really looked at it, and it sounds kinda cool. Even if it gets almost no support and I can use it to run emulators on my TV, it's probably worth $100. I'm not gonna help fund it though (plus it's already funded).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 07:56:33 AM »
I checked back up on this and it seems she found a solution to her problem.  Which, if anyone read, was that the card stock she was using was too thick for the printer she had.  The solution?  Why, use the inkjet instead of the laser!  Honestly, I think she's that borderline kind of crazy.  The kind where small problems seem insurmountable (worst case scenario - hey guys, I need like $50 more dollars), and you have to describe them as the sun totally having a personal vendetta against you.

Borderline kind of crazy?  I confess I didn't go there to get the first-hand story on her solution, but anyone who thinks the sun is a conscious adversary is more than "borderline kind of" insane.  The oddness I read there earlier didn't strike me as metaphorical or intentionally humorous.  It seemed sincere.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #60 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 12:07:29 PM »
Borderline kind of crazy?  I confess I didn't go there to get the first-hand story on her solution, but anyone who thinks the sun is a conscious adversary is more than "borderline kind of" insane.  The oddness I read there earlier didn't strike me as metaphorical or intentionally humorous.  It seemed sincere.

Yeah, I think I was just giving her the benefit of the doubt when I wrote that last night - like she's just fucking weird and doesn't actually think the sun is talking to her. That said, I don't even know and you're probably right - batshit insane.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
Paying for someones vacation...man. What a terrible "project". Its not even funding to build the boat. Its already done!

Though I think a junk boat is kinda cool. You can tell it was made by hipsters because they attached a bike to it that serves no purpose. Maybe if you could pull it off and use it as transportation at "port" it would make more sense.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »
Paying for someones vacation...man. What a terrible "project". Its not even funding to build the boat. Its already done!

. . .

Funny.  This project is explicitly prohibited by Kickstarter's guidelines.

3. Prohibited uses:

* No charity or cause funding. Examples of prohibited use include raising money for the Red Cross, funding an awareness campaign, funding a scholarship, or promoting the donation of funds raised, or future profits, to a charity or cause.
    * No "fund my life" projects. Examples include projects to pay tuition or bills, go on vacation, or buy a new camera.
http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines

I wouldn't be surprised if this was added in response to this particular endeavor.

Note that as you go through the site you may find past projects on Kickstarter that conflict with these rules. We’re making tweaks as we learn and grow.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »
They're probably selling it at "art" or something. Like fucking Burning Man or something.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »
Stumbled across an interesting Kickstarter today.  It's Bad Dudes 2!  The sequel to the original Bad Dudes arcade game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »
This all hinges on one thing...

Time to come out of retirement, to show you are still bad enough dudes to rescue the president.

Yes, thank you. Proceed with funding.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 06:33:28 PM »
haha

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #67 on: Friday, July 27, 2012, 02:38:59 PM »
Castle Story looks pretty awesome. Combine the building aspect of Minecraft with a dash of RTS and Dwarf Fortress and set it on floating islands in the clouds.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #68 on: Friday, July 27, 2012, 03:45:53 PM »
I think that's almost a "shut up and take my money" scenario. They're almost at $140k with 29 days to go. That's fucking nuts. They funded $80k in 5 hours.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #69 on: Friday, July 27, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »
I'm very tempted to back it at the basic level for a copy. The building aspect in the trailer looked really neat.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »
SolForge is a new digital collectible card game being designed by the creators of Ascension and Magic. iOS and PC versions planned, Android will be a stretch goal. The game will be free-to-play when completed so the money is going to help them finish and you'll get some goodies like exclusive avatars and some booster packs.

Oculus Rift already met its goal for these VR goggles. They are the ones Carmack was doing stuff with at E3, and in fact buying a pair ($300) gets you a copy of Doom BFG edition that takes advantage of them. Not something I'm going to put money into, but could be interesting to see where it goes.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, August 07, 2012, 11:03:22 PM »
The Ouya KS is closing soon. Up to $7million. Crazy. Also we get a picture (or artists mockup? Hard to tell) of the device. Its...small.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 01:30:03 AM »
Looks like XBMC is coming to Ouya as well.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #73 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 12:49:45 AM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »
Unexploded Cow

Cheapass Games is back! Woo!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2012, 11:44:25 PM »
Be sure to see my previous post for Unexploded Cow! Don't want it to get lost in the shuffle here.

Drunk Quest - I guess best described as Munchkin meets beer. Making a monster harder is adding drinks to it, so drink to defeat it! First to level 6 wins. Or loses. Or blacks out.

The Resistance: Avalon - The Resistance has been making the rounds as a really interesting game, and this seems to be a fantasy themed version. Pretty cool.

Man, some people need to figure out how to do better promo videos. The one for The Resistance is just a dude talking the entire time. Show the game! Let me see the cards and bits, let me see people playing! Don't just try to sell it to boardgame wonks that will already be familiar with it. That guy has several other kickstarters going and the videos suffer like that. They are doing one for the next game from the creator of Dominion, and sure they showed the game contents laid out on a table and sort of explained how it works...get some people playing! I want to see what thats like!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 08:10:31 AM by idolminds »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »
Let's Build a Goddamn Tesla Museum

Not technically KS, since its on IndieGoGo but same general idea.
Tesla's final laboratory is located in the sleepy town of Shoreham, New York.  It's known as Wardenclyffe and it's where Tesla attempted to build a tower that would provide free wireless energy to the entire earth. Unfortunately, Tesla lost his funding before the project was completed and in 1917 the Wardenclyffe tower was demolished.  Subsequently, the land was sold to a film and paper manufacturer.

However, the land, laboratory, and foundation beneath the tower are still there and very recently went up for sale. And right now a non-profit is trying to buy the property and turn it into a Nikola Tesla Museum. The property is listed at $1.6 million, and this non-profit has received a matching grant from New York State of up to $850k.  This means that if we can raise $850k, New York State will match us for that same amount -- putting the total raised at $1.7 million.

Also this is Flexible Funding, which is one of the options that sets IndieGoGo apart from KS. Even if they don't reach their goal, they still get the money. This isn't all or nothing. So awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »
Pro Pinball: Revived & Remastered added to Kickstarter by Pat Lawlor & Silverball Studios.

FREE download of Big Race USA Pinball (Kickstarter 1998 Edition) on the website - just for visiting the page!
Get downloading! :P

Pledge $2, the original Timeshock and Fantastic Journey Pinball games are yours.

After $15 and up, you'll get Pro Pinball + any other extras, depending on the tiers...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 03:18:40 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #78 on: Friday, September 14, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »
Obsidian Entertainment presents Project Eternity.

NEW IP with:
traditional medieval-fantasy setting;
Isometric camera;
tactical party-based RPG;
Real-time with pause battle-system.

They are aiming for the style of Planescape: Torment; BioWare's Baldur's Gate series; and BIS's IceWind Dale series.

Already over $447,000, so far.
They are aiming for $1.1 million.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: Friday, September 14, 2012, 04:10:01 PM by MysterD »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #79 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 01:56:19 AM »
Next we'll probably see Activision putting up a kickstarter for Modern Warfare 4. Or maybe kickstarters for the next Xbox and Playstation.