Author Topic: What means the most to you?  (Read 19046 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
What means the most to you?
« on: Friday, November 24, 2006, 03:27:15 AM »
So I ran across this chick the other day named Emiliana Torrini.  I'd never heard of her until I ran across her on Pandora.com for something I was checking out, and I was pretty interested.  I heard her song "Dead Things" off of the "Love in the Time of Science" album.  Now, I have an insane love for women with extremely high, clear, sharp voices like hers, and I was just in love instantly.  So I grabbed the album and have been enjoying it thoroughly.  Turns out she also did some minor vocal stuph on the LotR soundtrack, and Julia actually remembered her name from the extras.  She's Icelandic.

Anyway, I don't know what it is about a beautiful woman's voice, but it just tears me to freaking ribbons.  While Emiliana's album in question here is a bit on the trip hop side (but not so much as maybe Portishead or something -- though she's also done work with Thievery Corporation), for me genre isn't always so important.  I just love the voice of a woman when it's simple and sweet.

So the point of this (I just wanted to work Emiliana in somewhere because I thought she was cool) is that I think my all-time favorite singer ever is Amon Krist and the work she did with Velour 100 (who none of you have probably ever heard of and are even less likely to ever hear because their beautiful music is all but completely dead now).  They have a MySpace page, but there's only one song on there and it isn't Amon singing (they had several other ladies on vocals at various times).  You can find their CDs fairly easily used, and always cheap, but hardly anybody has ever heard of them.  But I think they're probably my favorite band or close to it, possibly even more than Meshuggah.  Listening to Amon sing just makes me feel like I've crawled back into the womb.  It's amazing.  If you ever get the chance, check out anything from their Fall Sounds album or the Songs from the Rainwater EP.

You guys have any music that just means tons to you like that?  Something really deeply personal that feels like it's yours and nobody else's?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: What means the most to you?
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 24, 2006, 08:51:01 PM »
I kinda feel like that about some music I grew up with.. Mostly Reggae and The Beatles. As soon as I hear it I get kicked into a flashback and I'm overwhelmed with nostalgia. Though That's a different sensation than what you're talking about :P

I gotta agree with you, a clear and harmonious woman's voice always draws me in. I think that's why I like Jazz clubs. Hehe if Sirens were real I'd be easy prey.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 24, 2006, 09:08:19 PM »
I feel that way about In the Sun by Joseph Arthur.

And there's this one song by Rita Guerra called "Secretamente."  It's sung in Portuguese and it's beautiful.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 24, 2006, 11:57:36 PM »
Hehe if Sirens were real I'd be easy prey.

You and me both.

Never heard of Joseph Arthur, hoob.  Care to elaborate a little on the album?

I also just found out about Au Revoir Borealis, and I love the girl's voice.  Reminds me like crazy of Krist on certain tracks.  I really need to get ahold of that CD...
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 25, 2006, 01:59:16 AM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野