Author Topic: The tabletop gaming thread  (Read 2075 times)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
The tabletop gaming thread
« on: Friday, August 24, 2012, 06:36:08 AM »
I don't *think* we have one of these, but if we do just merge it.

I am looking into a cooperative game that Beth and I would enjoy.  I tried to sell her on Pandemic with no success.  Forbidden Island has been called "Pandemic lite" so that one's a possibility.  It's cheap too which makes it more of a possibility.  Anyone have any suggestions?  She would not like Arkham Horror I'm sure.

Also, occasionally I've run across board games on deep discount at Books A Million.  Generally they're not real well known.  For instance, I grabbed The Magic Labyrinth a few months ago and think it will be something neat to play with Willa in a few years.  Five bucks!

I also grabbed Balls of Brass and Nerves of Steel last saturday for five bucks. It's more of a skill-based game.  Beth and I played a few rounds with it and had a lot of fun.  Unfortunately the rules are what I'd consider incomplete as there are no instructions for when the ball rolls completely off the field or if it comes to a standstill on the playing area.  We made up a few house rules to combat that.

Anyway, I have a slew of tabletop games.  A lot of American "trash", but I'm starting to gather a semi-respectable collection.  Now if I only had some people near me that were just as interested in getting a game night going...
« Last Edit: Friday, August 24, 2012, 08:36:36 AM by K-man »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: The tabletop gaming thread
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 24, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »
There's not a ton of 2 player co-op games that I am aware of besides some that you have mentioned already.  The two player Catan card game is not co-op but its fun, simple, and cheap.  Fluxx is also a great card game that can be played with 2 people but it is not co-op either, but its pretty fun to play since the rules and goals of the game constantly change so each game is different.  Both of those games are about $20 or cheaper depending on where you look.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 24, 2012, 03:24:44 PM »
If she wouldn't like Arkham Horror, maybe you could try Elder Sign.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 05:54:13 AM »
I don't think it's so much the mechanics of Pandemic and Arkham as it is the theme. 

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 06:43:41 AM »
Oh well....damn.

Thought I should point out Cheapass Games. They originally published their games on the cheap and you would supply things like dice and pawns because you usually have a bunch of those things anyway. Recently they switched to a new model where you can download games to print yourself and then you can donate if you like them. So they have a bunch of free games to check out that sound pretty cool. The themes all seem to be pretty lighthearted.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »
Grabbed Pentago after seeing it on clearance today.  Going to give it a whirl with the wifey tonight.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 07:16:39 AM »
I think I'm going to grab Forbidden Island for sure.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 08:31:27 AM »
I really want to play Forbidden Island. I've read the rule book and it sounds like a lot of fun.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »
Rock Paper Shotgun likes Libertalia. Pirate themed awesome card game? INTEREST LEVEL RAISED

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 11:58:13 PM »
Sounds like a Democracy for genitals.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2012, 05:16:31 AM »
Beth and I gave Forbidden Island a run last night.  We had fun and will definitely play it again.  The game itself is surprisingly well-built for 13 dollars.  It's on par with any Euro-game I've seen.  Wooden pieces, thick cardboard map pieces, solid "treasure" pieces. 

It's fun.  My only criticism of the game is that, at least in our play, what you needed to do in your turns always seemed very obvious.