Author Topic: Thief (2014) -> Update: Ion Storm's cancelled modern-day Thief game info  (Read 10708 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Thief (2014) -> Update: Reviews rolling in...are all over the place (2-24)
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, March 02, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »
I'm further into the game. Story-wise, it's got a tale to tell though it's not quite as compelling as the previous games, particularly Deadly Shadows. It's not bad at all though.

The gameplay is traditional Thief, it's what you'd expect of a game in the franchise, let alone the genre. I especially love the context-sensitive traversal; there's no "jump" button per se, it's more a "traverse" button that acts depending on the environment: jump, mount, climb, drop, swoop, etc. It just makes sense. Kudos to Eidos Montréal for breaking tradition and dropping the generic "jump" and majorly enhancing first-person platforming, which is frankly irritating in other first-person games (except Mirror's Edge, BRINK, and Titanfall).

I cannot comprehend what the complaints are about. They're starting to sound like the rantings of a Call of Duty player who is abruptly thrown into a stealth game.

I'll agree that the "open world" is not quite as open as everyone expects when that label is thrown around but it's not a major issue. Honestly, I have never played a Thief game with that expectation in mind. It must have multiple solutions to problems but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a sandbox game. It is a bit more open than Dishonored in that you can explore the town and take on side missions more freely.

That kind of modern-day context-sensitive traversing reminds me of how Hitman games do jumping, climbing - you hit the command key when in the area, it does it for you. For KB/mouse players - I'd expect this would solve the problem of awkward platforming that often comes w/ our preferred control-choice. It's much easier to play w/ a controller for me, when I'm actually controlling the actual movements of the platforming, jumping, and stuff of that nature - like in Assassin's Creed.

Besides the somewhat open-world experience (Thief 2014 + Thief: Deadly Shadows) vs. each level itself is its own huge sandbox on how to tackle the objectives w/ likely one final way out (Dishonored...and heck, even Hitman series), from what I'm reading and hearing - it sounds like the way each game gives you choices is MUCH different. Garrett usually plays like a Thief; while Corvo acts like an assassin - I wouldn't want both games to play that much alike, anyways. I would guess when comparing Thief 2014 vs. Dishonored - the difference is probably that Thief 2014 often gives you more of a Thief-like way of getting through an area (sneaky-sneaky; use lethal arrows or other arrows to get through area; black-jack for knock-outs; stealth-kills if your difficulty allows it; ); while Dishonored gives you different styles of ways to finish an area (lethal kill, supernatural power kill, stealth knockouts; or avoid killing/knocking-out at all possible).

Kind of interesting that I've heard Garrett no longer has his sword anymore, he just has his blackjack for melee.

Granted, I ain't played Thief 2014 - but it looks like it's trying to evolve and expand upon Ion Storm's Thief: Deadly Shadows, not the older Thief games. Maybe you can speak on that better than I can?

I'm glad to hear the story for Thief 2014 isn't that bad.
Though, how are the actual characters themselves, prose for the actual dialogue itself, and actual voice-acting?

I really want to play this - but, as usual....this is Square Enix PC game here. Chance of this game getting much cheaper very soon are probably quite good - especially if it somehow tanks in sales, critics keep smashing it, or it doesn't do as well w/ gamers. They're often very aggressive w/ their PC games, here in the States on price-cutting and sale-pricing. I still cannot believe we've seen after about around a year, I've seen $5 sales here and there for TR 2013 PC on some sites like Amazon DVG and other digital distributors recently; bloody steal.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #41 on: Monday, March 03, 2014, 07:50:56 AM »
Yes, Garrett no longer sports a sword, dagger, or any weapon other than his blackjack and bow.

Combat, when it happens, is very different and more tactical because you have to time you blackjack hits to stun your opponent between swings. If done correctly you can actually prevent your enemy from swinging his blade, wear him down enough and you can perform an instant takedown as he kneels before you. The takedown, however, is very risky if there are other enemies around; further pushing the notion that you ought to avoid combat entirely and if it's unavoidable try to keep it one on one.

Assassin's Creed is the epitome of context-sensitive traversal. You hold down the trigger/shift and your character automatically traverses and interacts with the environment. How often are you manually jumping in AC games? It's extremely rare. The character will react to the situation depending on what the context is: scale a wall, hop a fence, jump across gaps, roll under obstacles, leap of faith, etc.

Thief 2014 definitely feels like a branch out of Ion Storm's Deadly Shadow's but I think that's more likely because of the contemporary gameplay mechanics and controls. The old Thief games feel quite dated, not just visually but gameplay-wise as well. The controls feel very clunky and at one point they were keyboard-only too. We've made some large leaps since 1998 in control schemes norms and gameplay mechanics.

EDIT:

By the way, I forgot to mention. This is not a reboot at all. It's a direct sequel. Garrett already has his mech-eye and
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, March 04, 2014, 03:52:11 PM »
Yes, Garrett no longer sports a sword, dagger, or any weapon other than his blackjack and bow.
That sounds like that'll force you to rely on stealth WAY more than ever before.

Combat, when it happens, is very different and more tactical because you have to time you blackjack hits to stun your opponent between swings. If done correctly you can actually prevent your enemy from swinging his blade, wear him down enough and you can perform an instant takedown as he kneels before you. The takedown, however, is very risky if there are other enemies around; further pushing the notion that you ought to avoid combat entirely and if it's unavoidable try to keep it one on one.
That's cool that there's a drawback to using this move - as again, it also kind of forces you to be smart and rely more on stealth.

Thief 2014 definitely feels like a branch out of Ion Storm's Deadly Shadow's but I think that's more likely because of the contemporary gameplay mechanics and controls. The old Thief games feel quite dated, not just visually but gameplay-wise as well. The controls feel very clunky and at one point they were keyboard-only too. We've made some large leaps since 1998 in control schemes norms and gameplay mechanics.
Has The City evolved much? Will we see similar areas, environments, and even characters from Deadly Shadows here?

EDIT:

By the way, I forgot to mention. This is not a reboot at all. It's a direct sequel. Garrett already has his mech-eye and
(click to show/hide)
Oh, snap - so, why the heck is it called just plain old "Thief", if it's really Thief 4?
Are they making trying to make this sound and look like a reboot, for the console gamers or something - who might not have played Thief 1, 2 (PC-only); though maybe did play Thief 3 (it was on consoles)?

Hell, they could've given it a sub-title or something - like they did w/ the previous title (Thief: Deadly Shadows).
It sounds like players really should play Deadly Shadows at least, w/ you saying it's a direct sequel.

About the time-frame and all w/...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, March 05, 2014, 07:15:52 AM »
Yeah, it's definitely a game that tries to force your hand to be stealthy. It makes it really difficult for you if you're noisy and careless. Which is probably why all these CoD players are getting whiny about it. I'm having fun because this is how I play EVERY game :P

Now that I've played some more it's clear that the city (actually called The City in the game) is quite restricted and has far too many loading scenes between segments and districts. Going from the clock tower to The Siren's Rest in the port I have to get through around three loading sequences.. That's just to get a quest which I will have to peddle back a few loading scenes to complete. It can get tedious.

There are some references to characters from Deadly Shadows (TDS) e.g. Edwina Moira (wife of Captain Moira from TDS).

I suspect the reason they simply called it "Thief" is the same reason the previous one was called "Deadly Shadows" instead of "Thief III" which is to not alienate new players. TDS was on a new generation of consoles at the time and they feared that calling it Thief III would make new players feel like they had to play the first two games in order to appreciate it. Similarly, Thief 2014 came in on the new generation of consoles.

I believe the story of Thief 2014 is set about 10-15 years after the events of Deadly Shadows.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, March 05, 2014, 05:37:56 PM »
Now that I've played some more it's clear that the city (actually called The City in the game) is quite restricted and has far too many loading scenes between segments and districts. Going from the clock tower to The Siren's Rest in the port I have to get through around three loading sequences.. That's just to get a quest which I will have to peddle back a few loading scenes to complete. It can get tedious.
Bleh @ load-screens galore.
On your PC - are the loading times and loading screens going by quick? Slow? Or what?

There are some references to characters from Deadly Shadows (TDS)
(click to show/hide)
Sweet!

I suspect the reason they simply called it "Thief" is the same reason the previous one was called "Deadly Shadows" instead of "Thief III" which is to not alienate new players. TDS was on a new generation of consoles at the time and they feared that calling it Thief III would make new players feel like they had to play the first two games in order to appreciate it. Similarly, Thief 2014 came in on the new generation of consoles.
That does make sense, from that business and marketing stand-point.

I believe the story of Thief 2014 is set about 10-15 years after the events of Deadly Shadows.
Thanks for all of the info! :D

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, March 05, 2014, 10:57:20 PM »
Any time, dude :)

I've just played through the Moira Asylum (yep, there's another creepy asylum) and I think I'm closing in on the final part of the game. Feeling quite climactic.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Monday, August 31, 2015, 05:19:38 AM »
Eurogamer -> Article on the modern-day Thief game that was canned.
It was called Thief: Dagger of Ways that Ion Storm was once working w/ Harvey Smith, before he left the project; and then the game a bit later got cancelled.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Thief (2014) -> Update: Ion Storm's cancelled modern-day Thief game info
« Reply #47 on: Monday, August 31, 2015, 07:25:57 AM »
That's a pretty cool concept. It's a shame Ion Storm never pulled it off.

The article makes me think about what happened around the same time which eventually led to the cancellation of a Deus Ex game and subsequent re-branding as Project Snowblind. Which turned out to be a better Deus Ex game than DX: Invisible War.