Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 13368 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re:
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, November 05, 2014, 04:16:44 AM »
I played this game to level 20 and beat it and quickly lost interest after that.  It really needs some sort of proximity chat to make building a fire team easier.

I get spammed with invites constantly while both in town and in the open world areas. People can't just ask me if I want to group up, because there's no chat of any kind unless you're in a group. I ran by 2 guys on my way in to solo the weekly Nightfall Strike and got a total of 6 invites because I wasn't accepting. I just wanted to solo at the time, but couldn't just tell them that because there's no chat unless you're in a group.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Bungie's Destiny
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 03:49:08 PM »
I just got an email telling me there's a free trial available now. I'm assuming it's just the sections that were playable in the beta (all 5 Earth story missions, a couple pvp maps, and a level 8 cap).

http://www.destinythegame.com/free-trial

For Xbox One it says "trial available via Xbox One dashboard", but I'm not seeing it. Probably because I own it already.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
Yeah, I've seen it at the store, and I read about it earlier than that.  I must admit I'm curious.  It is free, after all.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #43 on: Monday, June 22, 2015, 05:32:42 PM »
Man... I can't quite pin down the words to use for this interview, perhaps vile? It's about the next expansion that's coming and they are charging almost as much as the base game for it and that's not even the worst of it. Just... ugh... it makes you want to wash your hands after reading it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #44 on: Monday, June 22, 2015, 09:08:14 PM »
Man... I can't quite pin down the words to use for this interview, perhaps vile? It's about the next expansion that's coming and they are charging almost as much as the base game for it and that's not even the worst of it. Just... ugh... it makes you want to wash your hands after reading it.
Luke Smith comes off as either a comic-book villain or a mentally disturbed psychopath completely lacking empathy.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Monday, June 22, 2015, 10:01:38 PM »
I couldn't get past the fact that the guy REALLY seemed to care about emotes.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 12:12:12 AM »
I couldn't get past the fact that the guy REALLY seemed to care about emotes.

I care about emotes. :(

I think there's also some bullshit going on with currency conversion that's fucking over non-US customers, which is why he's saying the new expansion by itself is the same price as the original game was. In USD, it's $60 and $40.

For a bit more clarity, here are all the options available:

$40 - The Taken King (digital only)
  • The Taken King expansion
  • Early Access Weapons Pack

$60 - The Taken King: Legendary Edition (physical only)
  • Destiny
  • DLC 1: The Dark Below
  • DLC 2: The House of Wolves

$80 - The Taken King: Collector's Edition (physical, Gamestop only)
  • Destiny
  • Collector's Edition Digital Content
  • Steelbook case
  • Modified Treasure Island Book with Intro Letter from Cayde-6 (physical item)
  • Cayde-6's Personal Notes and Illustrations (physical item)
  • Collection of Relics and Artifacts (physical item)
  • Strange Coin Replica (physical item)
  • Weapon Schematic (physical item)

$80 - The Taken King: Digital Collector's Edition (digital)
  • Destiny
  • Collector's Edition Digital Content

The red text. Why is that not available to people that already own all existing content? (for a reasonable price) If I want that stuff, I have to pay DOUBLE what it would cost me to just get the expansion. Also, why the fuck is the digital collector's edition the same price as the physical one, when the physical one has all that extra shit in it?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 12:04:24 PM »
Nolan North will be replacing Peter Dinklage as the role of Ghost in Destiny.

Will this only be for the new content or are they retroactively replacing all of Ghost's dialogue?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 12:22:50 PM »
Will this only be for the new content or are they retroactively replacing all of Ghost's dialogue?

Both!!!

From the link:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/08/04/destiny-recasts-its-most-important-character-with-nolan-north-9709.aspx
Not only does Nolan North play Ghost in the new content in The Taken King, but Bungie also had North re-record all of the original dialogue to create a consistent storytelling experience from beginning to end.

“We wanted Nolan North’s version of the Ghost to wake you up at the start of the journey at level one and follow you all the way to level forty,” says creative director Luke Smith. With this change, the Ghost’s script will remain the same, but Peter Dinklage’s voicing of those lines will not be present in the game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 01:08:25 PM »
Awesome. But kinda on the too little too late side? I'm glad Bungie is still trying their hardest to salvage the game.

I haven't been able to play any of the expansion content because some dumbass reason you can only play solo or with friends. Destiny in solo mode is boring as f***. Worse than Borderlands. You can't match make or join others to play the story content, which is the only stuff I'm interested in.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 01:14:45 PM »
I haven't been able to play any of the expansion content because some dumbass reason you can only play solo or with friends. Destiny in solo mode is boring as f***. Worse than Borderlands. You can't match make or join others to play the story content, which is the only stuff I'm interested in.

Am I the only one who loved Borderlands 1+2 solo-style?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 01:16:23 PM »
I played some parts solo but it can monotonous quickly. It's still way better than playing Destiny solo.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 03:13:48 PM »
I couldn't stomach Borderlands online...it feels wrong...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 07:10:15 AM »

Not at all.  I've played all 3 of the BL games solo, and they're some of my favorites . . . well, ever.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 08:45:28 AM »
Nolan North will be replacing Peter Dinklage as the role of Ghost in Destiny.
This link is blocked at work. Why are they replacing him?

Awesome. But kinda on the too little too late side? I'm glad Bungie is still trying their hardest to salvage the game.

Haha! "Story" content.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 09:10:31 AM »
This link is blocked at work. Why are they replacing him?
At least 2 reasons we know of:
1. A lot of people weren't happy w/ Dinklage's performance.
2. They selected Nolan North to play the role for the next expansion/DLC The Taken King.
So, they decided to have Nolan do also do voice-work from the beginning so the player has the same Ghost voice-over from Level 1 to the new expansion for consistency.

I don't know if maybe Dinklage was busy and couldn't record for the next expansion; didn't want to; wanted more $; or what.
Who knows on that front.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 09:12:20 AM »
Not at all.  I've played all 3 of the BL games solo, and they're some of my favorites . . . well, ever.

I also played Diablo II + III the same way.
I find it fun to play alone first time.
Then, if I do a replay - then maybe I'll experience it w/ others.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 09:31:13 AM »
I played a lot of Borderlands 1 and 2 solo, same with Diablo 1, 2, and 3. When not solo, I was just playing with 1 or 2 friends. I'm not a big fan of playing with strangers.

Destiny is a bit different though. I mean, you can do the story missions and patrol stuff solo, but there's content specifically designed for groups. The weekly heroic strike has matchmaking, but not the weekly Nightfall strike. You can try to solo it, but you're going to have a lot of trouble. There's also no matchmaking for the 6 man raids, or 3 man Prison of Elders from the second expansion. If you want to get into the more serious PvP, Trials of Osiris, you have to have 2 friends to do it. Playing solo limits what content you can access in Destiny.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 09:43:33 AM »
VG247 -> Bungie is looking for PC compatibility tester.

Could Bungie be working on porting Destiny 1 for PC?
Multiplatforming Destiny 2 for PC + consoles?
Or something else entirely for PC?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 07:11:25 PM »
Unless Bungie is working on a new project, or a very elaborate Destiny companion tool, we’re guessing this hire will make sure Destiny works on PC. This would make a lot of sense if Destiny 2 – which by all accounts is releasing in 2016 – is launching on PC alongside consoles.

Companion tool is what my money is on. Their web interface already allows you to swap items from character to vault, and to other characters. There's an unofficial Chrome addon called Destiny Item Manager that gives you a drag and drop interface of that. With Windows 10 out now, they may be making a more in-depth tool for that.

My second guess would be that Destiny (or Destiny 2) is coming to PC. They seem so focused on Destiny, I would be surprised if they had a second project going alongside it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 04:26:53 AM »
Eurogamer -> Bungie says they replaced Dinklage b/c he just wasn't available enough.

Speaking in an interview with Game Informer, executive producer Mark Noseworthy was asked whether Dinklage was ditched due to fan criticism of the character or his performance, or whether it had just been due to "Hollywood nonsense".

"It's more on the nonsense side of things," Noseworthy responded. "Dinklage was awesome to work with but we needed to work with someone who is more available. Nolan is a pro, this is his thing.

"You can just call him up and say 'hey, next week we're doing this internal play test and it would be great to get some Ghost dialogue in there'. And he's available."

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 05:00:59 AM »
Well, they're not gonna shit talk Peter Dinklage.

What's funny is I was telling my friends before the first expansion hit, that it seemed like a mistake to use so many Hollywood actors for voices. They're going to have limited availability and cost more, so we're less likely to get new voice overs. Then the first DLC came out, and of course, no lines for Ghost. What about The Stranger? She was voiced by Lauren Cohan (Maggie on The Walking Dead). I really want them to reveal more about that character, but will they have to recast her too if they want her to have new lines?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 08:09:34 AM »
Thing is, those celebs get paid 7 figures to show up in comfy street clothes and read some lines into a mic while wearing headphones.  A lot of them want to do it.  It's easy and highly lucrative work.  Dinklage is the odd man out here.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 29, 2015, 06:56:43 AM by MysterD »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: Friday, August 28, 2015, 09:08:53 PM »
Destiny is 25.1GB on my Xbox One HDD. Unless that 18GB is really compressed, or need extra space while installing, I don't know why it would jump to 60GB.

This situation matters most for people on 360 or PS3 with small HDDs. 360 needs 10GB free, and PS3 needs 20GB during installation, 10GB afterward. Destiny's website even suggests to "upgrade your console" if you don't have enough room, meaning buy  PS4 or Xbox One. (Account information and character progress are tied to your PSN account/Xbox Gamertag and will carry on to the newer consoles automatically.)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, August 29, 2015, 03:00:53 AM »
Woah, this almost sounds like Activision is going to upgrade your HDD for you if you're on PS360 and have a 20GB or smaller drive... that can't be right, can it?

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Destiny-The-Taken-King-Storage-Solution
Use one of the links at the bottom of this article to access a storage upgrade request form. If you are validated as an existing and active Destiny player on one of the 20GB consoles as of September 15, 2015, and you submit your validation requirements to us no later than December 31, 2015, we will assist you in finding the right solution for your console’s storage space. Not available in some countries where players should contact Activision Customer Support at ActivisionCares@activision.com.
To submit a request, you must include the following:

Email address (so we can inform you of the results of your submission)
PSN ID or Gamertag
Name
Shipping address
A screenshot that clearly displays your console's hard drive capacity along with a piece of paper with your PSN ID or Gamertag handwritten on it (see below for reference)
Your Console Serial Number (see below for reference)
Your Hard Drive Model Number (see below for reference)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, August 29, 2015, 06:19:38 AM »
"Assist to find" is not the same as "provide".  I can't imagine them buying masses of people additional hard drives.  A 10GB update is large even for a new console, and nuts for last gen.  The 360 now accepts up to two 2TB externals, but the update process may require the internal drive to be that big.  Not sure about that.

This is an online-only game, so it's not like anyone has a choice, other than stop playing.  (Must . . . resist . . . preaching . . .  :P)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #68 on: Saturday, August 29, 2015, 06:56:10 AM »
Destiny is 25.1GB on my Xbox One HDD. Unless that 18GB is really compressed, or need extra space while installing, I don't know why it would jump to 60GB.

Also, remember that they are adding Nolan North's voice-acting of Ghost to the game.
I don't know if Dinklebot's voice-acting will be removed & replaced entirely or if his voice-acting filed will just still sit on the drive to be basically unused b/c of the update.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: Saturday, August 29, 2015, 08:24:31 AM »
The article links to destinythegame.com, which says 60GB. Bungie, in their latest weekly update, simply said that you will need 18GB of free space (for XB1 and PS4). No mention of 60GB total. I'm guessing the info on Bungie.net is accurate and it'll just be an 18GB download (which may or may not add a full 18GB to the install size, depending on if it overwrites a big chunk of data, like the Dinklage audio files).

Depending on what time of day the patch is put out, I won't be able to play for a couple days. I might be able to do 18GB overnight while everyone's asleep, but will probably have to pause it and finish the second night.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #70 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 01:21:51 PM »
 ... people still play Destiny?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #71 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 02:52:11 PM »
... people still play Destiny?

Never really stopped.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 05:41:54 PM »
The article links to destinythegame.com, which says 60GB. Bungie, in their latest weekly update, simply said that you will need 18GB of free space (for XB1 and PS4). No mention of 60GB total. I'm guessing the info on Bungie.net is accurate and it'll just be an 18GB download (which may or may not add a full 18GB to the install size, depending on if it overwrites a big chunk of data, like the Dinklage audio files).

Depending on what time of day the patch is put out, I won't be able to play for a couple days. I might be able to do 18GB overnight while everyone's asleep, but will probably have to pause it and finish the second night.

Yeah, they do differential (or delta) patching now, meaning some of what you're downloading will replace existing data, rather than strictly be added to the total.  But you still need to wait for all that stuff to download.

1306 hours?  Holy shit!