Author Topic: The Ascent - solo/co-op cyberpunk ARPG/twin-stick shooter game  (Read 5171 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
The Ascent - solo/co-op cyberpunk ARPG/twin-stick shooter game
« on: Friday, July 30, 2021, 05:29:42 AM »
Trailer for The Ascent, a solo/co-op cyberpunk ARPG/twin-stick shooter hybrid, which is on Xbox and PC:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: The Ascent - solo/co-op cyberpunk ARPG/twin-stick shooter game
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 30, 2021, 05:31:05 AM »
Reviews for The Ascent.

IGN - 7 (of 10):

GameSpot - 6 (of 10):

GameInformer - 7.25 (of 10):

ACG - "Buy":

SkillUp - "Strongly Recommend":

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 30, 2021, 05:32:48 AM »
Digital Foundry looks at the The Ascent and its graphics quality & tech for PC and XBox platforms:

The Escapist - Video Review:

Worth A Buy:

Kotaku - Review for The Ascent:
https://kotaku.com/the-ascent-makes-good-on-cyberpunk-2077s-promise-1847385101

VG 24/7 - 4 stars (of 5):
Written review - https://www.vg247.com/2021/07/29/the-ascent-review-pc-consistently-stunning-new-standard/
Video Impressions:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, August 01, 2021, 07:41:38 AM »
GameRanx - "Before You Buy" on The Ascent:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 30, 2021, 07:41:10 PM »
I'm a little over 5 hours into this game (The Ascent), as I'm back on Xbox for PC Game Pass for about a month or so. I do have some thoughts about this drop-dead gorgeous-looking cyberpunk-set twin-stick shooter/ARPG hybrid here, so let me dive a bit into this one.

In this game, you play a slave that is owned by a company called The Ascent Group - yes, just like pretty much almost everybody else in this metropolis, pretty much. The Ascent Group shuts down, so you're trying to find out why they shut down & what to do about it, as it also seems like there are gangs, crews, groups, etc. seems to be vying for power to possibly take over the city, since The Ascent Group disappeared.

This game is loaded w/ terms (yes, you should read the Codex), characters, personalities, really good voice-acting, immersion, and whatnot. So, you'll definitely want to follow the Codex, story, plot, characters, and characters here...even though it might be hard to sympathize or really feel for any of those crews you do jobs here, as they all seem...not morally sound; at least so far, anyways.

This game is just one drop-dead gorgeous cyberpunk-themed game, oozing with graphics quality and personality. This setting and its NPC's - especially ones you interact with and get into close-up with to talk to - all look fantastic. The game-world and the way it uses often fixed-camera, just to show-off its epic scale and size, often in its 3rd-person isometric camera viewpoint, is phenomenal. Running at 1080p with framerates ranging in the 40fps to 120fps+ range, maxed-out with RT (Ray-Tracing) turned on, this game just looks stellar.

This game...is just not easy. Keep in mind, I was soloing this, so I'm not sure how this is when doing co-op. Even on Normal, while playing solo - you are going to need to smartly use your weapons, skills, and abilities; equip the right weapons & armor (as some might be better for certain situations and fights); smartly level-up; etc etc - especially to fight mini-bosses and bosses. You are going to even need to strategize even in combat, as there even is a key to shoot higher & over walls, since you can also use those as cover and get behind them. Expect to die and respawn somewhere nearby a lot, as enemies and shootouts aren't easy. Even on Easy all by myself, I was having a tough time w/ some sections (especially when there's lots of enemies on-screen) and pretty much any Boss that I ran into. Again, I'm not sure if this game is easier say in co-op mode, since I often do prefer going solo and since I haven't tried co-op mode yet.

Also, this game isn't entirely like Diablo either. Don't expect tons of different weapons and items, dropping w/ say each kill of an enemy. Weapons, armor, and equipment here feel much more limited, even though you can upgrade them. Just...don't expect the amount of looter elements that you'd see in a Diablo ARPG, as The Ascent is more of a twin-stick shooter than a looter-ARPG. Though, it really does feel like every upgrade, every weapon, and every armor you get is different and does really matter, which you can run into. This feels...a lot more tightly contained, purposely.

On a side note: I really do wish there was officially a way to zoom the camera in and out on my own. I do wish there were optional different say 1st-person views or behind-the-shoulder 3rd person views to also switch b/t, just see how this all looks up close and personal at certain times, to see this game and its graphics in all of its glory - but sadly, those options aren't here.

Back to the main stuff now: now, onto combat. Combat zings, as different weapons have different feels, weights, and power to them; especially with your gamepad. Gamepad feels best here for me, in some ways, as. the controller feels like I can really move my character around easiest in all kinds of directions, even if the right analog stick isn't the greatest things to utilize for aiming; mice are just better at that kind of stuff, as the mouse does feel better for aiming. When playing with keyboard & mouse, the mouse feels great for aiming & shooting purposes - but trying to move around, often when things are angled, you often feel like you're constantly holding two cursors keys a lot (or if you use WSAD, you'd likely be holding two of those keys constantly) just to move in one desirable direction, so that isn't ideal either. Also, the old-school Xbox for Windows gamepad still feels best for movement here, for when utilizing the movement w/ the upper-left analog stick for character movement and also feeling the rumbling of the rumble-pad here on this gamepad.

Quests so far feel of the Diablo-sort or MMO-sort here often, no matter if they're say a main quest or side quest. So far, it's often going to an area and collecting numerous items; killing numerous enemies; and/or doing a few things in that area. Hopefully the story, characters, narrative, and everything else in that regard here stays really interesting; the game doesn't get too long for its own good; and/or this quest-style doesn't get that repetitive as I get further along to keep the game fresh & interesting - as the last 2 things could also possibly hurt the game, if nothing of those needles move and/or change here.

Regardless, after 5 hours or so here, it's so far pretty good and I hope it can keep me going and interested. So far, it's quite good. And hopefully, it stays that way and doesn't lose its steam.

More to come, once I play and experience more of this gorgeous cyberpunk-set twin-stick shooter/ARPG.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 19, 2022, 11:29:08 AM »
I tried to get into this and failed. It seemed like it would be up my alley, so not sure why it didn't click, but I ended up refunding it. Somehow just didn't feel like I was going to stick with it. Did the same with Risk of Rain 2 that everyone seems to love. I really found that one weird and un-fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 08:24:11 AM »
I fell off of this b/c of its difficulty spikes. Seriously, this game can be all over the place, at times. As much fun as it is when everything's clicking, there are times when it's punishing. Namely, if you don't have the best levels, equipment, and/or right build to take on certain enemies.

One boss fight literally stopped me dead in my tracks. Even w/ difficulty lowered, still punished and lost - so, I gave up, sadly.

Maybe another time, I'll re-try it again.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 06, 2023, 06:17:02 AM »
I tried to get into this and failed. It seemed like it would be up my alley, so not sure why it didn't click, but I ended up refunding it. Somehow just didn't feel like I was going to stick with it. Did the same with Risk of Rain 2 that everyone seems to love. I really found that one weird and un-fun.

Ditto for me on everything. I played The Ascent, got a few hours out of it and never touched it again. Not really my cup of tea, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I bought Risk of Rain 2 on sale about two weeks ago, put 30 minutes into it and absolutely hated the game. Didn't even feel the need to keep it installed to try it later to see if it had any redeeming qualities. Really hated this one...