Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt  (Read 53522 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
« Reply #161 on: Thursday, October 15, 2015, 11:20:28 AM »
I never used the exploit and the taxman found me in Oxenfurt. I think his algorithm is based on the amount of coin you have (I happen to have over 80,000).

Anyway, he asked a few questions (pretty funny) I answered honestly and he gave me a certificate with the title of "Taxpayer in Good Standing".

I also found it funny that his name was Waltermore Mitty, which I believe is a reference to the movie The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
« Reply #162 on: Thursday, October 15, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
I never used the exploit and the taxman found me in Oxenfurt. I think his algorithm is based on the amount of coin you have (I happen to have over 80,000).

Anyway, he asked a few questions (pretty funny) I answered honestly and he gave me a certificate with the title of "Taxpayer in Good Standing".

I also found it funny that his name was Waltermore Mitty, which I believe is a reference to the movie The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
I was reading that article and it kind of seemed like they overthought it.  Like, there's a higher probability that it would just show up for everyone (or everyone with a certain amount of money) rather than them spending time trying to figure out a formula to figure out if you used an exploit or not.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
« Reply #163 on: Friday, October 16, 2015, 05:52:46 AM »
I was reading that article and it kind of seemed like they overthought it.  Like, there's a higher probability that it would just show up for everyone (or everyone with a certain amount of money) rather than them spending time trying to figure out a formula to figure out if you used an exploit or not.
Yeah, I think it was just something the devs threw in for good fun; a wink back at the players.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #164 on: Monday, October 19, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
VG 247 -> A new upcoming update to the TW3 PC Modkit will add new features + fix some things.

The List includes...
The long-awaited update to the modkit is right around the corner - it's time to reveal the list of changes and fixes it's bringing along.

Fixed a bug causing wcc_lite to fail when uncooking the game.
Added the abilty to mod textures from the textures array.
Added a warning information when wcc_lite failed due too long file path.
Claned up wcc_lite output log.
Fixed a bug when some normal maps and speculars were imported incorectlly. Now imported textures which name ends with "_n" and "_s" will be assigned to proper categories.
It is now possible to add new textures using mods.
Serval fixes and minor improvements to Script Studio.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #165 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 06:46:55 AM »
Patch 1.11 should be out for PCs.  Looks like the consoles will get it in short order as well.  Yay!(?  I hope . . .)

https://twitter.com/Marcin360

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #166 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 07:46:23 AM »
Patch 1.11 should be out for PCs.  Looks like the consoles will get it in short order as well.  Yay!(?  I hope . . .)

Perfect timing! I just saw your post and almost magically Steam indicated I had an update queued for The Witcher 3 :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #167 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 08:27:49 AM »

Thanks for pointing this out.
I just let GOG Galaxy handle the update - and it's all set.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #169 on: Sunday, December 06, 2015, 09:05:59 PM »
I will totally play with that mod when I get the game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #170 on: Sunday, December 20, 2015, 12:28:37 AM »
Holy fucking shit.

This game.

I'm ... I have no idea how many hours in. A bunch. Finished almost every last drop of everything in the first section you start in. I'm going to have a lot to say about this game, but for now, I'm just going to copy and paste a couple things I said in IRC:

Where this game seems unlike anything I've ever played is in the weight of the little things. Just in this first area, where you have all this small stuff, the interactions with the NPCs has been amazing. The little facial expressions you see when they say certain things, the weight of seeing someone getting sent off to be hung, the warmth from someone appreciating a good deed ... I can say I've never felt this kind of expressiveness from game characters before.

This makes Fallout 4 look like it's made out of cardboard and animal balloons. And I loved my time with Fallout 4. The only downside to that is that when it breaks, it's more of a bummer. Seeing the game side of it is more of a disappointment when funky things happen, like bad pathfinding or behavioral hiccups.

I heard all the stuff people were saying about it, so I was prepared for an impressive game, but I definitely didn't expect this level of ... humanity, I guess.

Playing it on ultra settings and it runs really nice and looks unreal.

One other thing I'll say that I also talked to gpw about the other night, is how it feels like a pretty spectacular fusion of the modernity and attention to detail of W2 and the atmosphere and depth of W1. It's an almost achingly beautiful game, and if it maintains even half the quality and beauty it has so far, CDPR deserves every award they've won and then some.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #171 on: Sunday, December 20, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
Of what I've played this year, I must agree.  It deserves top honors for 2015.  I just wish it had a bit more polish in the tech department, and that they would have hired an expert in mapping concurrent functions to a modern controller (for my console version, of course).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, December 20, 2015, 01:26:24 PM »
Can't say I have any complaints there thus far. I'm actually playing with controller on PC. It's not perfect, but I don't think it can be ... there's a lot of stuff to map. I took a look at the control setup and was just like ... meeeeh. Maybe I'll use controller, haha. I'm not usually that lazy, but I wanted to jump right in. Though I am desiring a bit more direct control of the auxiliary stuff like potions and what have you, which the useless 360 dpad has made more of a chore than they should be, so I might switch it up today.

I'm playing on Death March, and this is much, much harder than Dark was for Witcher 2. The Griffin fight was incredibly difficult, and took me probably an hour and a half to finally beat, and required me to do some tricky bullshit in the latter half. Regular enemies are right about where I want them, though, so I'm going to stick with it for now. Usually open world games end up getting ridiculously easy the further you go as you level, so I want to mitigate that as much as possible here. That said, it was frustrating getting killed like 4 times in a row by 2 drowners right after getting to Velen. haha

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, December 20, 2015, 04:35:56 PM »
Can't say I have any complaints there thus far. I'm actually playing with controller on PC. It's not perfect, but I don't think it can be ... there's a lot of stuff to map. I took a look at the control setup and was just like ... meeeeh. Maybe I'll use controller, haha. I'm not usually that lazy, but I wanted to jump right in. Though I am desiring a bit more direct control of the auxiliary stuff like potions and what have you, which the useless 360 dpad has made more of a chore than they should be, so I might switch it up today.
I don't think you're lazy - I think ever since W2 (PC), which even at launch felt better w/ the controller out-the-gate (b/c they botched remapping PC controls as certain keys were locked, which they changed + fixed later in patches due to complaints) - it was obvious they planned to later bring this to consoles. While eventually I did play it w/ KB-mouse once they fixed the PC remapping controls, a good deal of the game I was fine w/ the gamepad.

Let's face it: W2 was inspired quite a bit by the combat style + controls of From Software's games...and the difficulty too in the early days of released, which they nerfed in patches later due to complaints of certains fights being very difficult (i.e. see first encounter w/ the dragon in tutorial + first major boss fight w/ tentacle-monster, for example).

It just makes even more sense, since they want to make as much money as possible, they brought W3 to consoles (this time at original-launch time) and that the controls for W3 feel best now with a gamepad. It's where the perceived big quick-gained money is at; especially around launch + at launch. Controls are even more so true important w/ the gamepad, now since you can ride mounts - and normally car controls & ridable mounts are normally 90% of the time better w/ a game-pad b/c they are controlled directly (i.e. when they're not using a click + point style). I wasn't fond w/ W3's controls w/ KB-mouse out-the-gate - and it's been control-pad all the way for me w/ W3. It just feels better and more natural, since it seems they really designed this game to be played even more so with a gamepad.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #174 on: Sunday, December 20, 2015, 08:37:52 PM »
I actually wouldn't agree, or at least not entirely. I mean I can't speak for how it was at launch, but I mapped all the keyboard bindings and found that I actually much preferred the level of control and the feel of it. It is quantifiably better, or at least felt like it to me. That said, I still went back to controller because I just kept forgetting what all the goddamn buttons were, haha. Got tired of opening the menu back up to remember what I'd said this or that to since I'd already gotten my momentum going with the game and just wanted to play it. That, and there were several instances where I guess I'd forgotten that I already mapped something and remapped it to something else, so then in-game when I went to use it the little overlay would tell me there was no key, and ... ugh. It's just kind of an issue when you have a game with so many dedicated buttons.

Though to be fair, it's mostly the game's fault. A lot of those buttons should be multi-use like they are on the controller, and shouldn't require you to come up with a separate button for them. If it wasn't for that, I'd be playing with a keyboard and mouse for sure, but as it stands I just can't quite get a comfortable setup that's easy enough to remember and also 100% complete. If I'd done it right at the beginning and put more effort into it, that would have been one thing, but at this point I just want to play the damned thing, no muck around with relearning controls (which is more of a big deal for me as I'm playing on death march, which doesn't leave too much room for error).

EDIT - I started to write up some more thoughts on how I'm feeling about the game, but I feel like I need to save these for a blog post when I'm a bit further in. I'll post a link here when that happens.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #175 on: Sunday, December 20, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »
My only real issue with the controller layout is wanting look control (R stick) while needing to hold a face button (as in run or gallop).  I got used to it, but it's not ideal.  More experience with controllers would have helped the design here.  There are as many shoulder buttons as there are face buttons (4).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 01:31:09 PM »
I may consider this my favorite game of all time. I won't say that for sure until I get through the whole thing, but so far ...

EDIT - Kind of a cool thing: http://witcher3map.com

I'll also note that my opinion of this game has not yet diminished. GOG Galaxy tells me I have 87 hours logged. Probably knock 10 of those off for just leaving the game running at times, but that's still a shitload of time, and I don't really feel like I've even reached the halfway mark for the story (and I haven't felt like I've really been neglecting it, either).
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 07, 2016, 10:59:15 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #177 on: Friday, January 08, 2016, 07:28:31 AM »

EDIT - Kind of a cool thing: http://witcher3map.com

I still have a tab open on that map, even though I've been done with the game for over a month.  :)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: Saturday, January 30, 2016, 09:11:08 PM »
Heart of Stone is amazing by the way.   Well worth the money in that the main quest portion of it is pretty long but also a pretty damn fun scenario.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #179 on: Sunday, January 31, 2016, 12:38:41 PM »
Heart of Stone is amazing by the way.   Well worth the money in that the main quest portion of it is pretty long but also a pretty damn fun scenario.
Damn, I'm still trying to level my Geralt up to level 62 just so I can start it! I can't wait! Why did I start a Newgame+?! WHY?!!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #180 on: Sunday, January 31, 2016, 03:44:49 PM »
62?! 

You mean 32, right?  I was definitely not 62 and it seemed most of the quest monsters etc were somewhere in the mid-30's.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #181 on: Sunday, January 31, 2016, 06:26:17 PM »
Yeah, it was 32. I really want to get back to Witcher 3, just have so much else I have to do and play right now for various reasons.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #182 on: Sunday, January 31, 2016, 08:31:02 PM »
62?! 

You mean 32, right?  I was definitely not 62 and it seemed most of the quest monsters etc were somewhere in the mid-30's.
In NG+ it's 62 :(

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #183 on: Monday, February 01, 2016, 01:27:32 PM »
Oh right, you said NG+. Yeah, that's rough. Though they have an option where you can just start a new game with a level 32 Geralt, don't they?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #184 on: Monday, February 01, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »
Yeah, they do have an option to "just play the campaign" for Heart of Stone, which i imagine entails dropping you at the start of the quest with the right stats.  I'd imagine it'd be kind of jarring though, considering how much time you've spent in the world as the Geralt you've built at that point.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #185 on: Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »
Damn, I'm still trying to level my Geralt up to level 62 just so I can start it! I can't wait! Why did I start a Newgame+?! WHY?!!

Didn't you keep your last save before the NG+?  I have 3 separate save points now, with a few save files to rotate through on each.  I have my complete original game, a nearly complete NG+, and a whole new campaign to refamiliarize myself after being away from the game for a while.  It's so hard to put down, even though I have newer stuff I'm playing as well.  Masterful game.  If I get HoS, I imagine my first time through will be from the completed first game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #186 on: Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 08:18:53 PM »
Didn't you keep your last save before the NG+?  I have 3 separate save points now, with a few save files to rotate through on each.  I have my complete original game, a nearly complete NG+, and a whole new campaign to refamiliarize myself after being away from the game for a while.  It's so hard to put down, even though I have newer stuff I'm playing as well.  Masterful game.  If I get HoS, I imagine my first time through will be from the completed first game.
I did but I am so far gone into NG+ that I don't want to regress :P Gotta keep moving forward!

Actually, I really have to check if I still have that save file.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #187 on: Thursday, February 04, 2016, 06:58:10 AM »
I get that.  But the thing is that (unless I'm missing something) the skill system runs out of room within the first playthrough anyway.  I have something like 30 (?) unspent skill points in my NG+.  Yeah, I could try other skills deeper within the trees, but I'm quite happy with what I have active already.  I can only speak about it vaguely without firing up the game and seeing exactly what's up.  My short-term memory is awful anymore.  And then the armor sets are the same, only with more tiers to match the extra levels.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #188 on: Monday, February 08, 2016, 12:16:07 PM »
You know, the one thing i think really could have used some work is the skill system.  I mean, I don't have a problem with it at all, but it's really really simple and light.  I don't think I touched it after the first 15-20 hours of the game

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: Monday, February 08, 2016, 04:09:59 PM »
Right.  Once all the slots fill up with skills you use constantly, there's nowhere to go.  I went for signs, with Quen and Yrden at the forefront, the yellow bit that lets you use stamina points to cast signs, and then some solid red (physical) skills.  I split those up to use the properly colored boosters (forget their names) mutagens to best effect.  Now what?  Nothing, I guess.  Leave it alone in NG+.  It tells me they didn't think that far ahead when they designed it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #190 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 08:23:02 PM »
I think I just loaded it up with mostly red icons - quick attack, etc.  Even less exciting unfortunately.   

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #191 on: Thursday, February 18, 2016, 09:18:25 AM »
So, kinda good news! I was going through some folders I had on OneDrive and discovered that I apparently had the foresight to store some game saves on there! One of which was a Witcher 3 save from August 2015, level 35, immediately after completing the main campaign! I had even made that manual save at the Seven Cats Inn, where the Hearts of Stone quest begins! What sorcery is this?!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #192 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 02:53:33 PM »
So I dove back into this a couple days ago. I'd put it down for about 5 months, according to GOG Galaxy, and it took a little time getting back up to speed with it. But man, I'm reminded all over again about what a wonderful game this is. Got my ass thoroughly kicked around for a good while since I'm playing on Death March, and forgetting how to play on that difficulty is uh ... not advisable. But now that I got my groove back I'm having a blast, and loving the world and character and everything so much. No other game I've played since this one came out has had so much life and vibrancy.

Really looking forward to the new expansion, despite not having gotten around to playing the first yet.

In other news, CD Projekt RED has a program where if you have the game's expansion pass on PC, you can send them a screenshot of your game library or whatever showing that you own the game, with your account name visible, and it will allow you to not only buy the Hearts of Stone Gwent decks, but also Blood and Wine decks, which are rereleases of the ones that came with the Xbone Limited Edition of the game. I believe this is a PC-only deal, since you could get the cards on console before already. I'd bought a copy of the PS4 expansion originally just to have the cards, since I really think Gwent is a ton of fun, but I snagged both the sets using the code they sent me today. I'll sell off the PS4 expansion.

https://www.witcherstore.com/mobile/gwent - scroll to the bottom for the link to get a code.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #193 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »

Really looking forward to the new expansion, despite not having gotten around to playing the first yet.

Honestly, get on that.  The first expansion was a highlight of the game for me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #194 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 11:00:56 PM »
Yeah, I've heard it's fantastic. Which I'm sure it is. Everyone went on and on about the Bloody Baron stuff from the vanilla game, and while I thought it was amazing, I've been just as impressed with stuff I've come across since, not as dismissive as some others have been. And they all think the expansion is top form, so very much looking forward to it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #196 on: Saturday, July 16, 2016, 08:41:12 PM »
OK, so what the hell is up with the garish colors in Blood and Wine?  I'm all for making them pop more than in the vanilla game, because of ye-knights-of-olde Toussaint setting, but why the yellow-greenish tinge all over everything?  Worse, darker areas, even dimly lit ones, are now crushingly dark, as if they've gone too far with the contrast in order to give everything this oil-painting look.  I freaking hate it.  I hope they patch in a sane lighting scheme at some point, at least as an option.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #197 on: Saturday, July 16, 2016, 10:18:20 PM »
That's weird. I've yet to play it, but I haven't seen that in any of the footage of the expansion I've watched. You're right, that looks kinda not great. But I've seen a fair bit of footage and never noticed that ... sure it's not some sort of weird bug?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #198 on: Sunday, July 17, 2016, 06:57:45 AM »
No, they're pretty saturated and it was intentional.

The lore explanation is that the South, specifically Toussaint, is exposed to a lot more sunshine than the more bleak regions of the Northern areas, resulting in more lush greenery, vibrant vegetation, and a more diverse ecology; almost magical in their appearance. This is supposedly why the region's wine is prized unlike any other and cannot be replicated in other regions.

The design explanation, as Cobra alluded, is to make it more thematic with the age of knighthood and "ye-knights-of-olde." I believe one of the artists mentioned he was inspired by stained glass imagery.

Potential spoiler:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #199 on: Sunday, July 17, 2016, 07:16:35 AM »
If it's a bug, it's on all versions.  That's not my image--though it is pretty much what I get to see.  (Given where I found it, I think it's a PC capture.)  No, I think it's a purposeful thing.  It mars the experience somewhat, after the still-gorgeous colors on vanilla, though not enough to make me stop playing it.  It feels like a whole new game, and the good one.  It also finally expands the use of ability points, something sorely needed since they introduced New Game +.  (See replies #187-189 above.)  A certain quest has you delve into witcher mutations, which ends with this involved expansion of development for your character.

I finished Hearts of Stone last night.  That was awesome.  I still have a long way to go in B&W.  That big new map area comes complete with notice boards and encounters.  It dwarfs HoS.  I'm sure I'll play it longer than most standalone SP games coming out these days.  I just wish it looked as pretty as it's supposed to.

Edit:  Thanks for the clarification, X.