Author Topic: Dark Souls: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Death  (Read 58779 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Have you praised the sun today? The Dark Souls thread. (SPOILERS)!
« Reply #360 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 04:13:32 AM »
There's nothing here any more tedious than any other RPG, and considerably less than most. Or so I thought, at least.

Depends on what kind of RPG you're talking about. I don't touch JRPGs anymore. Skyrim isn't tedious, Mass Effect isn't (lol ok, well the first one was sort of RPG-ish). The Witcher wasn't tedious, just poorly paced. I don't think I've played many other RPGs except MMOs, which all pretty much suck unless you have friends.

I'm confused as to why you're having to grind so much. What's your soul level and stats?  You really shouldn't have to grind in that area of the game at all.

I don't have to grind, but I felt compelled to when I got to the new smith and saw stuff I could buy. I actually only made one attempt at the guy in the church, and it wasn't a serious one. I haven't played the game in a few days because I'm feeling kinda meh about it. I want to like it, I get what people like about it, but I just don't feel compelled to play.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #361 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 09:35:27 AM »
Second on the Witcher being poorly paced.  The swamp area was such a downer.

And I'll just say it.  No one should be having trouble with the mobs in the burg.  The only ones that should be a real threat are the big knights, which you're probably not equipped to kill yet (not easily, anyway). all enemies are dangerous in the sense that every mob in the game can get one over on you at any point of your play through (see:  zombie wielding a torch in the depths that killed me at soul level 100 because I got careless).  I think everyone would do well to utilize what you have at your disposal.  Parry is an excellent way to get over on the spear knights.  Also, learn to roll effectively.  This is not a game where you can take significant amounts of damage.  The key is not taking it to begin with.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #362 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 10:28:07 AM »
Second on the Witcher being poorly paced.  The swamp area was such a drowner.
FTFY

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #363 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 12:50:41 PM »
Idol reminded me on IRC that we both cut our teeth on Demon's Souls before playing Dark Souls.  That definitely makes a difference in how we perceive the difficulty.

I know the game isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed it so much that I have a hard time thinking anyone wouldn't like it if they gave it some time.  It could be that I was just ready for that kind of game at the time.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #364 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 03:55:20 PM »
This article is rather timely.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #365 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 04:36:21 PM »
This article is rather timely.

It is also rather vague.  I can sit here and come up with slippery platitudes about lots of things.  I'm glad he saw the light, and ended up enjoying the experience.  All the testimonials do convince me that success is not only possible in the game, but also greatly rewarding.  Too bad the article does nothing to guide me in that endeavor, or nudge me away from wrong thinking into the illuminated path.  I want to read some details about this cautious avoidance of everything that jumps out and kills you.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #366 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 04:54:21 PM »
Cobra, if it helps you, I utilized the wiki page quite a bit.  That would certainly assist your endeavor to not die a ton.

In hindsight I regret some of it.  I wish I had been surprised in a number of instances rather than knowing what's coming.  That's a big reason why I'm so excited for II.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #367 on: Friday, February 07, 2014, 08:06:49 AM »
I pimp him constantly in IRC, but LobosJr's twitch streams of Dark Souls are a good watch.  He does insane runs.  For instance,the other night it was a crossbow only run.  He did a no death, level 1, naked, can't use estus, can only heal with humanity, cannot bonfire unless he has full health run on Thanksgiving.  He spent most of the day attempting it.  Got really close at the end and got careless.  Fell to his death.

sort of funny/sad to see someone absolutely destroy a game I spent the better part of a year getting through.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #368 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 11:16:47 AM »
seeing this thread slowly drop COME ON GUYS

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #369 on: Sunday, February 16, 2014, 10:50:29 AM »
I bought this game a year ago, played it, got my ass kicked and stopped playing. However, I think I was mislead, I was told that leveling up would hurt you more than help. After watching the guys on giant bomb play, I decided to give it another chance.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #370 on: Sunday, February 16, 2014, 08:03:05 PM »
It is also rather vague.  I can sit here and come up with slippery platitudes about lots of things.  I'm glad he saw the light, and ended up enjoying the experience.  All the testimonials do convince me that success is not only possible in the game, but also greatly rewarding.  Too bad the article does nothing to guide me in that endeavor, or nudge me away from wrong thinking into the illuminated path.  I want to read some details about this cautious avoidance of everything that jumps out and kills you.

I can't blame anyone for not liking Dark Souls.  I got into it for about 2 weeks last year and was having a blast.  I felt a bit overwhelmed at first but eventually got the hang of it and really enjoyed slowly progressing through.

That said, I hit a part of the game that just killed it for me.  Catacombs maybe or something?  Not at all a big deal, but went through, got to some undead dragon or something and died.  Fair enough, plodded back to try again and got bitten by something that cursed me.  Max Half health until I can buy an uncurse stone.  The problem was the place to buy it was like 12 minutes away.  So I run back, buy one (only had money for one) cured myself, ran back again, died at that boss again but almost got it and then back to the bonfire.  Started running back to the boss once again and got cursed. 

Okay, fuck that.  Didn't feel like investing the time at that point and stopped for a few days.  When I tried to pick it up again I really just didn't give a shit anymore.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Dark Souls: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Death
« Reply #371 on: Monday, March 10, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
PC Gamers, check this out.

Polygon -> Report on the Dark Souls Death Counter.
Basically, upload your saved game here - it'll tell you how many times you've died.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #372 on: Thursday, August 14, 2014, 05:12:01 PM »
<Thread bump idol motivator/reminder post>

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #373 on: Thursday, August 14, 2014, 08:47:21 PM »
yessssssssssssssssss

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #374 on: Thursday, August 14, 2014, 08:54:50 PM »
I have been reminded/motivated.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #375 on: Saturday, August 16, 2014, 12:14:16 AM »
Reminds me that I need to get back to DS2.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #376 on: Sunday, May 03, 2015, 05:08:21 AM »
I've been battling Ornstein + Smough.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #377 on: Sunday, May 03, 2015, 08:33:56 AM »
I decided to go back to farm elsewhere for Humanity, but got to a Blacksmith that had enough Souls to get a Chest to use in Darkroot.
Used it in Darkroot; defeated some people + mushrooms; and then pounced Sif.

Good times.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #378 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2016, 12:51:17 PM »
I booted Dark Souls up the other day with the intentions of screwing around for a few minutes.

Fast forward a few days later and I've conquered Capra Demon, Moonlight Butterfly, Gaping Dragon, and am on my way to Blighttown.  So weird, in a lot of ways replaying it feels like going back to visit an old friend.  An old, murderous friend.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #379 on: Sunday, February 28, 2016, 11:29:27 AM »
I have officially made it to the brick wall that is Ornstein and Smough.  Please think of me in this difficult time.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #381 on: Wednesday, March 02, 2016, 11:47:01 AM »
After beating my head against the wall with O&S, I finally abandoned my quest to kill them solo and summoned my #1 sunbro Solaire.  By then I had gotten so used to fighting both of them alone it almost made it too easy.

I think Anor Londo is something of a natural conclusion to a "first act" of the game.  After O&S you gain the ability to warp and easily take care of any loose ends you've left in the game to that point, and your ultimate purpose is made clear. It's also something of a gut check in that you're consistently facing enemies way tougher than you.  And the silver knights pretty much force you to become adept at both parrying and backstabbing, helping to prepare you for the coming horrors.

I am now fairly certain that Dark Souls is my all-time favorite video game.  My experience with it was so memorable that it ruined a lot of other games for me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #382 on: Friday, March 04, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
It's way, way up there for me too. I dunno about all-time favorite, because that would be hard to choose, but it would definitely be a contender.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #383 on: Sunday, March 06, 2016, 09:06:36 AM »
Defeated Gwyn just a little after midnight.  Now on to DSII!