Author Topic: Nintendo 2DS  (Read 2339 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Nintendo 2DS
« on: Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 08:36:26 AM »
April Foo...wait what day is it?

Its a 3DS without the 3D. Still has the stereo cameras to take 3D pictures but those would only be viewable on other systems. $129.99 so its cheaper than even the original 3DS.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Nintendo 2DS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 10:38:59 AM »
Hah!  That actually looks more interesting to me than you might think.  3D is still dodgy and an eyestrain.  Being able to play 3DS games on a non-lenticular screen appeals to me.  And cheaper to boot.  Hmm!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 10:51:55 AM »
Hang on, you can't switch off the 3D mode on the 3DS?!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 11:07:56 AM »
Size comparison

And yes, you can turn off the 3D effect on the regular 3DS models. The 2DS just doesn't let you turn it on because it is using a cheaper 2D-only screen.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »
You can turn it off but you're still looking through that special screen which might blur a regular image a little. My lack of experience with the system doesn't allow me to say how much though. Maybe the equivalent of looking through a screen protector or something?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »
In theory I'd be interested. I'm not given my current situation, but the 3D never held even the least bit of appeal to me. It was cool... I checked it out in a store demo a couple times and such, but it wasn't something I'd pay for, or really even want on a regular basis.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »
I will end up with a 3/2DS one of these days.  But really I'm still incredibly happy with my DSI XL.  I've got enough of a DS backlog that I should be occupied for at least another few years.

I love the form factor of the 2DS, though.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 01:32:18 PM »
Want to hear the crazy part?

Curiously, the 2DS is even more of a tablet-style system than it appears at first glance, as it actually features a single large screen in its center, not two separate ones. As one of their cost-cutting design measures, Nintendo reduced the number of screens in the system from two to one, and the appearance of separate screens is merely simulated by the way the case masks out the extraneous portions. This means the entire screen is by necessity a touchscreen, with the upper screen protected by a layer of plastic that sits above it. While this makes no difference for the system's normal functions -- after all, neither the system's firmware or its software would recognize the hidden, inactive zones of the screen or the upper portion's touch capabilities, even if you exposed those portions -- I'm curious to see what hardware modders manage to do with the system.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Nintendo 2DS
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »
I was super pumped when I heard about this but the lack of a hinge kills it for me

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 09:21:47 PM »
I feel its form-factor is a bit too big or bulky compared to the more portable 3DS.

This article put things in perspective though:

How the 2DS could have been Nintendo’s first true portable tablet

Ah, what could have been..

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 09:24:51 PM »
Want to hear the crazy part?

Well, that's just weird.  I wish they gave this the grownup treatment, make it like the clamshell 3DS, but with a quality 2D upper screen instead of the lenticular one.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 10:39:44 PM »
Man, a DSTablet (perhaps...TDS?) would have been a really cool move and I would have definitely bought one. Cheap, plays 3DS and DS games, plus the added ability to have special tablet stuff? Nintendo...y u no do this?

Ok the article gives reasons why but I can't help thinking of how cool that device would have been.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, August 31, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Nintendo 2DS
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, August 31, 2013, 03:11:37 PM »
The regular ds is on sale here for like $139 now.  I was just going to hold out for a Zelda XL bundle before, but this might be ideal.  Ten bucks is worth the flip hinge to me for sure.