Author Topic: Cars  (Read 19542 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Cars
« on: Friday, December 01, 2006, 12:32:07 AM »
I enjoyed it. At first I wasn't that interested...thought it'd be more like a "kids movie" (you know what I mean). Turns out it had more heart to it.

It reminded me of our trip out to Montana. We could have stayed on the main interstate and get there in half the time. Instead we decided to take the smaller roads and do some exploring. Ended up spending an entire day in Nebraska.

One of the first things we saw was the city of Valentine. I woke up when we stopped in this town, mom and my brother had already went inside the information center. I am greeted to this town with hearts *everywhere*. It was trippy. Saw tons of other things...a cowboy on a skateboard in the middle of nowhere, a land for sale sign for 20,000 acres, more cowboys (with spurs) in a walmart, wild antelope, Carhenge, and ended up staying near Scotts Bluff.

The movie gave a good message. People rushing all over miss out on all these kinds of things just to save a little travel time. Honestly, its not worth it.

Oh yeah, and damn Pixar is good at making things look good.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Cars
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 01, 2006, 08:48:48 AM »
I've no interest whatsoever in the film, but I agree with the sentiments.  My dad was actually born in Nebraska, too.  Lived there for a very short time.  I'm trying to remember now if that's where his dad was killed or if that was after they'd moved away.  It escapes me now.  I've always wanted to visit, though, just because.  Haven't yet had the chance.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 01, 2006, 01:47:36 PM »
I know we discussed Cars earlier, like after theatrical release.  Not here, evidently.  I liked it too.  I am a Pixar fanboy, so my tilt is very much a factor.  This is not their best movie.  I think The Incredibles may get that trophy.  But it's still something no Pixar fan should miss, and which I think almost anyone will enjoy.  (Not Que, though . . .)

Edit:  Found it.  (I was bored, so . . .)

Well, I just saw the movie. While it's not up to par with The Incredibles, I sure liked it. Very clever and well put together. I imagine the NASCAR fans will like it best. There are several historical tie-ins they should recognize. Making cars into human-like characters is a stretch, but it comes off pretty well. I think it's a winner.
Me at http://z7.invisionfree.com/The_Minds_Eye/index.php?showtopic=7928

Damn, this board is slow today.  (I mean loading times.)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 02, 2006, 09:51:42 AM »
Cars was too long for me -- and in my opinion, Pixar's WORST film yet.

Cars was okay. Could've been better, w/ some editing and all. God, the first half, after the opening race, was a snoozefest...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 02, 2006, 02:16:52 PM »
I think The Incredibles is most definitely their best film, and I've always been very partial to Monsters Inc.... just can't seem to work up even a little desire to see Cars.  The whole concept just seems worthless to me, and all the promotional material I've seen has been abysmal.  Not a funny joke yet.  Not to mention the advertising was really getting to me.  Everywhere you looked fucking talking cars advertising rent-a-car places, insurance places... it was nauseating.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 02, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »
I think The Incredibles is most definitely their best film, and I've always been very partial to Monsters Inc.
I loved both of those movies.

Finding Nemo was great, as well.

... just can't seem to work up even a little desire to see Cars.  The whole concept just seems worthless to me, and all the promotional material I've seen has been abysmal.  Not a funny joke yet.  Not to mention the advertising was really getting to me.  Everywhere you looked fucking talking cars advertising rent-a-car places, insurance places... it was nauseating.
I liked the concept of Cars, but God -- this movie was slow for me. It needed serious editing.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 02, 2006, 09:19:22 PM »
Seeing as how the entire point of the movie was making a person (car) slow down and enjoy the simple stuff...I think the editing was fine.