Author Topic: LucasArts games to hit GOG tomorrow  (Read 1743 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
LucasArts games to hit GOG tomorrow
« on: Monday, October 27, 2014, 02:54:45 PM »
Apparently someone found unlinked posts in the forum for the various game announcements. So far they found:

Secret of Monkey Island : Special Edition
Knights of the old Republic
Tie Fighter : Special Edition
X-Wing Special Edition
Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis
Sam & Max Hit the Road

The dream has finally been realized. BASK IN IT!

EDIT: they located the announcement thread.

The day has finally come and the holy grail of classic gaming has arrived on GOG.com. Welcome, Lucasfilm games! You are among friends, here! We're proud to announce a new partnership with ©Disney that allows for the DRM-free release of about 30 classic titles from the cult-classic developer. We know you waited long for this moment, so we want to reunite you with those golden oldies with as little delay as possible. Today, to start with a bang, we are releasing a selection of 6 acclaimed titles from Lucas' most famous gaming franchises, so that the Disney/Lucasfilm catalog on GOG.com is made impressive from day one. Here are the great titles you can get right away:

Star Wars™: X-Wing Special Edition - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
Star Wars™: TIE Fighter Special Edition - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
Sam & Max Hit the Road - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition
Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis™
Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic

Note that numerous Lucas titles, including 3 from the launch lineup (Sam & Max Hit the Road, Star Wars™: X-Wing Special Edition, Star Wars™: TIE Fighter Special Edition), are available digitally for the first time ever, ready to play with no fuss on modern operating systems. With more fantastic titles headed for our Disney/Lucasfilm catalog, you can expect to see Lucas games popping up frequently on GOG.com in the coming months.
30 games!
« Last Edit: Monday, October 27, 2014, 04:20:49 PM by idolminds »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: LucasArts games to hit GOG tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 27, 2014, 05:45:26 PM »
Someone at Disney was paying more attention than folks at LucasArts. This is good stuff.

The (other) amazing thing is the XWing/Tie Fighter releases are based on the special edition CD ROM version and not the releases using the XWing vs Tie Fighter engines. While the rerelease updated the graphics by adding textures (which, honestly, destroyed some of the character), some very important things were lost. Most notably, the game traded in the dynamic midis for generic digital versions of the common Star Wars music playing off the disc. If this is really what they're using, someone at Disney really gets what made these special.

The only thing they can (and I think should) do is increase the resolution on the polygons. Anything 2D, leave it (including cockpits), but make those flat polygons shine.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 28, 2014, 06:31:04 AM by sirean_syan »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Re: Re: LucasArts games to hit GOG tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 27, 2014, 06:51:34 PM »
Someone at Disney was paying more attention than folks at LucasArts. This is good stuff.

The (other) amazing thing is the XWing/Tie Fighter releases are based on the special edition CD ROM version and not the releases using the XWing vs Tie Fighter engines. While the rerelease updated the graphics by adding textures (which, honestly, didn't destroyed some of the character), some very important things were lost. Most notably, the game traded in the dynamic midis for generic digital versions of the common Star Wars music playing off the disc. If this is really what they're using, someone at Disney really gets what made these special.

The only thing they can (and I think should) do is increase the resolution on the polygons. Anything 2D, leave it (including cockpits), but make those flat polygons shine.
Your middle paragraph has me totally confused. Is the CD-ROM version good or bad and which is coming to GOG?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 27, 2014, 08:04:53 PM »
The older versions of those games used the IMUSE system to dynamically change the soundtrack to respond to how the game was playing out. The newer versions did not have this. The thread links are now gone, but from reading around it sounds like you will actually get both versions on GOG.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
Here they are!

And yes it is confirmed, X-Wing and TIE Fighter each have their Windows and DOS releases included.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Re: LucasArts games to hit GOG tomorrow
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »
Your middle paragraph has me totally confused. Is the CD-ROM version good or bad and which is coming to GOG?

Same here.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't make sense of that.  So which is good and which is bad?  I only remember playing with flat-shaded polys.