Author Topic: Guild Wars  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Guild Wars
« on: Sunday, November 26, 2006, 12:48:38 PM »
Hey so who has played the game? I haven't tried it yet, though am thinking about it. The new one looks pretty awesome in PCG but I want to give the original a shot first. Also the new expansion is the third one, right?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Guild Wars
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, November 26, 2006, 12:51:34 PM »
I haven't played it, though I really wanted to. No monthly fees ;D

The latest expansion "Nightfall" is the third.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, November 26, 2006, 03:44:10 PM »
World of Warcraft ftw.

Anyway, I hear Guild Wars is kinda fun if you're really into PvP, but it can get kinda boring if you don't really know people who play it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, November 26, 2006, 04:00:13 PM »
It would be difficult for me to find a way to pay any monthly fees. I mean I can pay it, but how? Where?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, November 26, 2006, 04:13:21 PM »
Can you buy the time cards like I do? $30 for 2 months of play time. You type that in instead of credit card info. Just order them online or something.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, November 26, 2006, 04:55:12 PM »
I thought one of the big things the game had going for it were no monthly fees. Did that change with the expansions?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, November 26, 2006, 05:03:15 PM »
We're trying to lure him to WoW instead of GW.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, November 26, 2006, 06:34:24 PM »
Oh... heh. Sorta missed the "interesting" post.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, November 26, 2006, 09:03:03 PM »
Hey so who has played the game? I haven't tried it yet, though am thinking about it.
It's good. There's a lot to do -- so, that is what is appetizing about Guild Wars. Lots of quests and lots of action.

Plus, NO MONTHLY FEES. PERIOD.

The new one looks pretty awesome in PCG but I want to give the original a shot first. Also the new expansion is the third one, right?
The last two, "Factions" and "Nightfall" are stand-alone expansions, I should note. You don't need "Prophecies" to run the other two.

"Guild Wars" is the original -- that original campaign is often referred to as "Prophecies." Personally, I think they should've named the original "Guild Wars: Prophecies."

The second game's "Factions" and the third one's "Nightfall."

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #9 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 12:08:36 PM »
Yeah, MyD's right, I was gonna say that none of them are expansions really.  Well, they are, but they're all stand-alone games, so you can pick up whichever game you think looks best.

I played the original a lot and I loved it.  I was addicted for a while there, it's damn fun.  I kinda lost interest recently though, and haven't played it in a while, which is kinda why I haven't tried the "expansions."  I'd really like to give them a shot, or at least go back to the original one, now that I think about it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 12:41:36 PM »
Hmmm... Guild Wars is still near original release date price, which is nuts. WoW on the other hand is bloody cheap. Decisions...decisions...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 02:40:44 PM »
Hmmm... Guild Wars is still near original release date price, which is nuts.
Unlike WoW, you NEVER pay a monthly subscription fee w/ Guild Wars. Keep that in mind.

Though w/ GW games, you will pay for each piece of the game, on the other hand. Personally, I'd rather pay for buying a stand-alone expansion -- in which each stand-alone expansion itself adds around 20-30 hours of new campaign content, at the very least...

If I was you, watch for sale prices @ stores and over the Net. I bought the original Guild Wars for $30 a few months after its release @ Best Buy. I don't think I ever seen the original GW for even less than that!

I seen Factions for $29.90 at Gogamer. Still is, BTW.

I seen on sale once, Nightfall, for $29.90 @ Gogamer, not too long ago. It's back to regular price there, at $39.90 now.

WoW on the other hand is bloody cheap. Decisions...decisions...
But, other than the bloody cheap price, WoW has a monthly fee. Keep that in mind.

Plus, WoW will be charging around $40 for the expansion next year, too. then, you can add the monthly free onto that, too.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 03:01:25 PM »
To counter Ds points on WoW vs GW: On my druid, when I hit level 60, I had put in about 20 days of play time. Thats ~480 hours to reach the highest level with very little "grinding"...I mostly quested and did a lot of exploring, crafting, fishing, etc.

Thats just one character, too. I have a horde druid at level 54 or so, a 42 rogue, a 30 mage, and a 20 shaman. Not including the other classes I leveled to 10 just check em out (warlock, priest, warrior). Now the expansion with its new area and 60-70 quests are said to take nearly as long to complete.

There are some fundamental differences to be aware of. GW isnt really massively multiplayer in the same way as WoW. In GW, you go to town and its full of people. Once you leave town you are on your own or with your party. You wont see other people running around killing things.

This has pros and cons. On the pro side, if you're in an area attempting a difficult quest and you notice someone else doing the same thing you can ask to team up and get it accomplished together. Or sometimes a groups just cleared an area you were headed through which can save you time clearing it yourself. On the con side, sometimes you'll be fighting hard, clearing an area to get a specific item and someone will jump in and take it from you (like if you're clearing the way for you to mine some mithril or something and some jerk mines it while you're fighting right next to it).

I've had both those things happen to me in WoW. It adds some interest...the human element.

Cost isnt so bad. WoW is $16 this week at best buy(I believe) with a free month of play. Thats like giving the game away for free and you only pay the server fees.

Pug if you want I can give you a WoW free trial code for you to play the game. Its like 10 or 14 days, you download the client for free. That way if you sign up later they give me a free month...hehe.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #13 on: Monday, November 27, 2006, 03:26:58 PM »
These are good points too.  GW is closer to Diablo II than any MMORPG.  If it's an MMO game you want, then grab the WoW client for free and try it out.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2006, 08:25:55 AM »
To counter Ds points on WoW vs GW: On my druid, when I hit level 60, I had put in about 20 days of play time. Thats ~480 hours to reach the highest level with very little "grinding"...I mostly quested and did a lot of exploring, crafting, fishing, etc.

Thats just one character, too. I have a horde druid at level 54 or so, a 42 rogue, a 30 mage, and a 20 shaman. Not including the other classes I leveled to 10 just check em out (warlock, priest, warrior). Now the expansion with its new area and 60-70 quests are said to take nearly as long to complete.

There are some fundamental differences to be aware of. GW isnt really massively multiplayer in the same way as WoW. In GW, you go to town and its full of people. Once you leave town you are on your own or with your party. You wont see other people running around killing things.

This has pros and cons. On the pro side, if you're in an area attempting a difficult quest and you notice someone else doing the same thing you can ask to team up and get it accomplished together. Or sometimes a groups just cleared an area you were headed through which can save you time clearing it yourself. On the con side, sometimes you'll be fighting hard, clearing an area to get a specific item and someone will jump in and take it from you (like if you're clearing the way for you to mine some mithril or something and some jerk mines it while you're fighting right next to it).

I've had both those things happen to me in WoW. It adds some interest...the human element.

Cost isnt so bad. WoW is $16 this week at best buy(I believe) with a free month of play. Thats like giving the game away for free and you only pay the server fees.

Pug if you want I can give you a WoW free trial code for you to play the game. Its like 10 or 14 days, you download the client for free. That way if you sign up later they give me a free month...hehe.

That would interest me for sure. And you can have that free month when I sign up. Give me a few days as I am setting up my new gaming rig.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, November 30, 2006, 02:34:32 PM »
Guild Wars: Nightfall owners who actually beat Nightfall will be able to enter Domain of Anguish, which opens up this weekend

Guild Wars Weekend Event [November 30, 2006, 3:20 pm ET] - Viewing Comments
ArenaNet announces plans to inflict the Domain of Anguish on players who have completed Guild Wars: Nightfall in a special event this weekend:

Fans of Guild Wars® know that weekend events are part of the fun, and this weekend is truly special as we launch the opening of the Domain of Anguish! Players who have completed Guild Wars Nightfall™, the latest game in the award-winning Guild Wars universe, will be given access to this elite area through the Chantry of Secrets. Players will find four separate areas to explore, nearly a dozen quests, new armor upgrade options, a system for acquiring novel weapons, and of course a compelling mission as well. Stay tuned to www.GuildWars.com for more details!

Dare I say, have fun in the Domain of Anguish!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, November 30, 2006, 06:55:34 PM »
It sounds to me like Guild Wars is a game where you can solo a bit more, and that's one of the attractions I have to it, but the MP stuff is still what keeps me at WoW, ironically.  I mean, if everybody was playing GW I'd probably join up and have fun, but everybody plays WoW, so... I'm pretty much going to stay there because I like being able to play with everybody (read: Idol/Sy/Pyro/board folks).  I still don't entirely dig on the concept of MMOs, though some of the community features are cool, but the ability to play with friends so easily and in a persistent world... that's just awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, November 30, 2006, 09:41:03 PM »
If everyone played GW I'd play it, too. Also, if GWs price went down a bit (most places around here its still $50).

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, November 30, 2006, 09:51:45 PM »
I'd love to do some crawling around in GW with some of you guys.  I know there are a few of us with the game and it'd give me a chance to jump back into it. 

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, November 30, 2006, 10:10:27 PM »
I know, ive tried to start a new character but I have a damn hard time starting from scratch again. Tonight our guild attempted a AQ40 run, we wiped several times on the first boss and gave up. Its sucks cause our guild will fucking throw hissy fits and threaten to kick people out of the raid. Pisses me off.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Friday, December 01, 2006, 02:50:18 PM »
It sounds to me like Guild Wars is a game where you can solo a bit more, and that's one of the attractions I have to it, but the MP stuff is still what keeps me at WoW, ironically.  I mean, if everybody was playing GW I'd probably join up and have fun, but everybody plays WoW, so... I'm pretty much going to stay there because I like being able to play with everybody (read: Idol/Sy/Pyro/board folks).

I still don't entirely dig on the concept of MMOs, though some of the community features are cool, but the ability to play with friends so easily and in a persistent world... that's just awesome.
I don't like the fact that I'm always tethered to a network w/ MMO's, namely. It would've been cool if the campaign could've been played offline or online -- since you can do many quests w/ bots, if you so choose. It'd be fine w/ me if you can't use your SP character online -- to prevent cheating. Though, it'd be cool if you could've imported your MP character into your SP.

I like that w/ NWN1 and NWN2, I can play either SP or MP w/ the campaigns that come w/ the game. Of course, w/ NWN1 and 2, you always got the mods both SP and MP. That just rocks.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #21 on: Friday, December 01, 2006, 10:03:15 PM »
I don't like the fact that I'm always tethered to a network w/ MMO's, namely. It would've been cool if the campaign could've been played offline or online -- since you can do many quests w/ bots, if you so choose. It'd be fine w/ me if you can't use your SP character online -- to prevent cheating. Though, it'd be cool if you could've imported your MP character into your SP.

I like that w/ NWN1 and NWN2, I can play either SP or MP w/ the campaigns that come w/ the game. Of course, w/ NWN1 and 2, you always got the mods both SP and MP. That just rocks.

Put this way D, take guildwars and give it a offline SP campaign... you'd have another Elder Scrolls with MP not a MMO.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, December 02, 2006, 02:14:10 PM »
I was really against the whole MMO thing at first, and it still isn't my favorite format, but I've come to realize the strengths the genre has to offer and how completely different they really are from other games.  RPGs are RPGs pretty much no matter what the hooks and gimmicks they have, but an MMORPG is really quite a different beast.  A lot of the same trappings, but the feel is completely different.  The epic scale of WoW works so much more convincingly than that of any other game, even huge ones like Morrowind/Oblivion/etc.  Morrowind was really the only thing that came at all close, and Oblivion actually stepped back from that in a lot of ways.

Seriously, D, I think enough time has gone by now that you really can't judge the MMO thing without trying it.  I think you should give WoW or something similar a shot.  I can't see you not having a great time with your love of RPGs, and it just might make you view things differently.  It took a lot to get me off the same bandwagon you're still on, but I think I now officially get what it's all about... and it's a bit hard to look at things the same way now.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, December 02, 2006, 03:31:32 PM »
D, go to the store and buy one of those $3 WoW trials and give it a go. Its only $3...just see what its all about.

And for gods sake play to at least level 10 or 15. 10 is when you get your real class abilities (ie, hunter gets his pet, druid gets their first shapeshift form, etc)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, December 12, 2006, 02:48:46 PM »
Bought Nightfall yesterday.
Wo0t!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, December 16, 2006, 09:09:09 AM »
So I found both the original Guild Wars and the first expansion for 20 pounds brand new and sealed as part of a promotion. I am hopeful that I can find a way to buy it. Just contacted the website.

As for WoW... I really really want to play, but I am kinda overwhelmed I have to admit. I hear you guys talk, I don't want it to take over my life heh. Plus there is going to be the added pressure of trying to play as much as possible in the month of purchase. ;)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, December 16, 2006, 09:11:36 AM »
I been playing Nightfall -- and I must say, it's quite good.

I love the new "heroes" addition.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, December 16, 2006, 09:54:13 AM »
So whos doing that promotion, pug? Sounds like the perfect chance for me to try the game out. I saw the original yesterday for $40, with both expansions at $50.