Author Topic: New accessibility logo  (Read 3542 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
New accessibility logo
« on: Friday, August 01, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »
Article

Left: old, Right: new

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a bill last week that will both remove the word "handicapped" from signs for people with disabilities and update the standard wheelchair symbol with a more active "accessibility logo."

"One of the largest concerns is that existing signage and language emphasizes the disability itself, rather than the person," a press release announcing the legislation reads. "The current universal symbol for a person with a disability represents an individual with a wheelchair, which will be updated on all new signage to portray a more active image."
Yeah can't be using the image of a person in a wheelchair! We need to change it to....hey wait a minute....

I mean its not a terrible logo or anything. Just seems like a silly thing that would need updating but isn't ultimately all that different.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: New accessibility logo
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 01, 2014, 11:22:46 PM »
Politics run amok.  Distraction from impotence and incompetence with real issues.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 02, 2014, 08:16:13 AM »
Yes, let's worry about updating a logo rather than trying to fix truly important things like net neutrality or our government completely destroying trust in U.S. companies worldwide.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, August 02, 2014, 11:08:07 AM »
Say nice things and act like you care about something basically nobody in the universe gives an actual fuck about, but will make your average thoughtless moron smile and nod and feel progressive. In part, it's exactly what Cobra said: distraction from incompetence, and attempting to distract you from the evils being perpetrated on us elsewhere, like scott mentioned. Net neutrality, privacy rights, civil rights, abuse of power, corporately controlled democracy.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 02, 2014, 01:36:21 PM »
It seems like a nice nod to those that are handicapped. Visual cues and signage are a part of our culture and do occasionally need to be updated to reflect our chainging attitudes. Governments can do more than one thing at a time.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, August 02, 2014, 02:02:36 PM »
I always thought that signage was specifically supposed to depict vague, nondescript imagery. I'm not against updating this particular sign but it's kind of a strange choice.

If this depicts an athletic wheel-chaired person, why don't toilet signs depict athletic individuals too? I just don't get why it has to be an athletic wheel-chair person. Is not being an athlete now considered so negative?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, August 02, 2014, 05:19:22 PM »
Yea I really don't see this is as a big deal, this somehow derailed into borderline conspiracy talk.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 02, 2014, 05:38:39 PM »
I started it.

But it's true.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 02, 2014, 08:23:17 PM »
Because who in government do you really think cares about how handicapped people are depicted on little blue signs that even handicapped people don't give a fuck about?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, August 02, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »
People who don't over generalize perhaps?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, August 02, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »
Panem et circenses

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, August 02, 2014, 08:46:07 PM »
Right I get it, I just see this as pretty trivial. I mean am I dumb for thinking something like this as a ploy to rekindle the faith in government is a bit extreme?

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, August 03, 2014, 12:15:15 AM »
That new logo looks hilarious. I can't stop laughing. It looks like someone really needs to take an explosive dump.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, August 03, 2014, 09:41:10 AM »
That new logo looks hilarious. I can't stop laughing. It looks like someone really needs to take an explosive dump.

Hahah right? "GTFO of the way!!!"

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, August 03, 2014, 11:15:37 AM »
You misunderstand my point, Pyro. It's really not about faith in government, per se, it's about distraction via seeming positive but entirely inconsequential action (usually a myriad of them) with the aim of keeping objectionable or controversial action out of the public eye, and it's a tactic that has been used for a very long time now, in many governments other than just this one. Same reason governments sometimes go to war, which tends to automatically put a given populace in a certain mood or condition that may be favorable to the government's aims. These sorts of things are just more obvious in a democratic society, as in order for the government to pass things, ostensibly it needs to do so by the people's approval; thus it comes up with a lot of ways to attempt to manipulate people into doing things it wants them to do, while simultaneously trying to distract them from being aware of background machinations they would most probably object to.