Special > Help

Certain downloads kill my network

<< < (2/2)

Cobra951:
You can limit bandwidth in the uTorrent application itself.  You can also limit the maximum number of connections, and this should do the trick, as far as torrents go anyway.  (See Preferences->Bandwidth)

As for the XB1, no idea.  Don't have one.  I'll guess that it's sucking up resources other than bandwidth--resources that the router's smarts don't ration properly.  I routinely use most of the pipe here for torrents, and I have no issues with concurrent devices (another PC plus the Xbox 360, plus the main PC doing general browsing/youtube/etc while torrenting) sharing it at the same time.  I hope you find the answers.

One idea: check upload speeds.  Those are typically way more limited than download speeds, and they could create a bottleneck for communications in general.

iPPi:
I had this problem when I was on DSL and using the router my ISP provided.  I've moved to cable now and this no longer happens.  I never did find a way to 'fix' it though. 

W7RE:
I'm guessing if I got a better/newer router it would help a lot. I've got my uTorrent set to limit the bandwidth to just under my cap and it helps, but other people I live with don't want to limit it, and they know how to change the setting.

The Xbox One is probably the biggest issue, beause of auto-updates. It auto-updates games and the OS just like Steam does, even if it's in standby. I like it doing this, but suddenly the internet gets bogged down and everyone starts asking eachother who's downloading and killing it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version