Author Topic: Serial - Podcasts and Murder  (Read 4913 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Serial - Podcasts and Murder
« on: Tuesday, January 06, 2015, 11:38:40 PM »
So, I was browsing something and god knows where it was but I stumbled across a mention of this podcast.  I don't really listen to podcasts ever, but sports radio in my car is driving me insane so I figured I'd try something new out (I also downloaded like 10 episodes of Keith and the Girl, because it's still awesome). 

I didn't know what this was going in, but apparently it's all the rage - basically top podcast in the English speaking world at the moment. And honestly, I found it REALLY entertaining.

It's a spinoff of This American Life on NPR, also featuring Sarah Koenig. In it, she takes one story and investigates or elaborates on it over a full "season" of 12 episodes.  Obviously the strength of the program depends wholey on the strength of the story featured that season, and to date there has only been one season - the story of Adnan Masud Syed - some kid accused of murdering his ex girlfriend in Boston during his senior year - circa 1999. 

I won't get much into it but honestly, I found it really interesting.  Guy is still in jail and this chick basically investigates his case over 12 episodes to try to figure out if he did it or he didn't.  I don't know why it's so captivating but I think a large part is just that it's taken this case and just blown it open in the public's eye.   Like I said, don't want to get too much into it, but if you like podcasts, you might as well just check out the first episode and see if it's for you.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Serial - Podcasts and Murder
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 12:37:13 AM »
Oh yes. An important part of the prosecution's case was that he made a call from Best Buy's pay phone after the murder. As it turns out, there was no payphone.

Here look at the first tweet here... excuse the grammatical errors... the editors really messed up the tenses.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/811561/tweeterror-2014/