Author Topic: DOOM: Eternal -- Update: RTX and DLSS support announced.  (Read 4908 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
DOOM: Eternal -- Update: RTX and DLSS support announced.
« on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 07:16:45 AM »
25m worth of footage here from QuakeCon 2018 on the upcoming DOOM: Eternal (Sequel to DOOM 2016):

« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 01, 2021, 04:40:42 AM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: DOOM: Eternal
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 08:14:20 AM »
When they switch to mouse and keyboard and you really get to see what the grappling hook and dashing can do, my brain exploded. In a good way.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »
GameSpot - What we know so far on Doom: Eternal.

GameSpot - 10 Things You Might've Missed From the Gameplay Reveal:

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, September 01, 2018, 07:35:04 PM »
I'm so pumped to play this when I get back from Japan.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 06, 2020, 04:51:59 PM »
System requirements for DOOM: Eternal:
https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=postmessage&boardid=1&threadid=208820

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    MINIMUM:
    Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    Processor:  Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better, or AMD Ryzen 3 @ 3.1 GHz or better
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB), GTX 1060 (6GB), GTX 1650 (4GB) or AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB)/RX 470 (4GB)
    Storage: 50 GB available space
    Additional Notes: (1080p / 60 FPS / Low Quality Settings)

RECOMMENDED:
    Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K or better, or AMD Ryzen 7 1800X or better
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB), RTX 2060 (8GB) or AMD Radeon RX Vega56 (8GB)
    Storage: 50 GB available space
    Additional Notes: (1440p / 60 FPS / High Quality Settings)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, March 21, 2020, 10:09:06 AM »
PC Gamer - Bethesda left Denuvo-Free EXE in DOOM Eternal files:
https://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-accidentally-left-a-denuvo-free-exe-in-doom-eternals-files/

Info:
- Bethesda left a Denuvo-Free EXE in DOOM Eternal's files, making it DRM-FREE.
- It was in the Original folder, so you can copy it to the main folder to replace the Denuvo-laced EXE.
- This also happened with RAGE 2 at launch, by the way.
- Bethesda has removed the DRM-FREE EXE without Denuvo w/ an update.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 04:57:26 PM »
Just about beaten the game, and so far it's ... well, a mixed bag. The combat is absolutely amazing, top-notch, beautiful. Poetry in motion. It's like someone slammed Doom 2016 into Quake 3 and this is their unholy cyber-gothic spawn. But then they made bafflingly stupid decisions like letting you cheat your way through progression, including boss fights (it actually fucking prompts you to turn on "super armor" if you die to a boss a few times, even on Nightmare, and that UTTERLY trivializes the fight), and they sort of misread what people liked about the first game tonally.

Still, it's an amazing game and I love it to death despite some fairly substantial issues like that. Ultimately, none of it detracts from just how goddamn fun to play it is. I'm on the last mission now, on Nightmare, and just about at 100%. Couple challenges to go back and mop up. And I can't wait to start it all over again when I'm done.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 26, 2020, 08:40:42 AM »
One of my gripes is the combat arena type areas. I remember hearing others complain about that design in Doom 2016, and it seems like they've added more enemies into the other areas this time. The combat arenas feel like they've been ramped up though. I really dislike the whole concept of locking you into an area and spawning things in, and prefer having enemies placed within the map. Opening a door to see 2 barons of hell is rough, and maybe you back out and think for a second how to tackle them. In 2016 and Eternal you're just stuck in a pvp style arena with them chasing you around. If you're too aggressive you die, and I feel like the best strategy is to run circles around them and take potshots.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 08:11:43 PM »
Hmm. Can't say I see that at all. The whole concept of "backing out and taking time to think" is the opposite of what makes these games fun. They're balls to the wall, constant mayhem. It's not that they're unthinking, or don't have some more relaxed moments (as you said, they added a few more just scattered enemy encounters). But you don't have time to sit around and plan, that goes against the whole point. It throws stuff at you, and you either think on your feet or die. Thinking on your feet is the name of the game, making good decisions quickly in the moment-to-moment.

Well, at least I guess. I mean I don't know what these games are like on lower difficulties, I've only ever played them on Nightmare, so I really have zero concept of what they're like for your average person. I've watched people play on Ultraviolence and it seems like ... OK. Anything less and it looks boring as hell. I know exactly what I want out of these, and they deliver that when they're difficult and force you to play well. People who just play for the power trip might have a completely different idea about what's good about them than I do. Which is totally valid ... but I love the arenas. I don't need everything to be one, but having no retreat is the point. Push-forward gameplay has been their design philosophy from the start.

Either way, I've beaten the game now. Almost at 100%, but still have a few things to go back for. I even ended up coming around on the sort of goofy comic book plotline, because I liked where they ended up going with it. The last 3 missions are just awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Monday, April 20, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »
Mick Gordon (composer for Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal) likely won't work in the Doom franchise again:
https://www.vg247.com/2020/04/20/doom-eternals-composer-wont-work-id-software-soundtrack-mixed-without/

Info:
- Some audio-fans noticed the mix itself for Doom: Eternal isn't as great as previous Doom 2016.
- Gordon revealed he didn't have much to do with the mixing.
- Gordon mixed a few tracks: Meathook, Command and Control, etc.
- Gordon is said, by many fans, to be a great sound engineer and mixer.
- Most of the mix was done by Bethesda, Gordon says.
- Gordon said the off "time signature changes are a result in someone in marketing piecing this track together without any musical knowledge."
- Gordon said that he likely won't work in the franchise ever again.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 09:00:53 PM »
Yeah, man, it's such a bummer. I'm really hoping something gets fixed at least with the official soundtrack. It's certainly not unheard of for something like this to happen, but for it to happen on the official OST is a travesty, especially since the difference between the tracks he mixed and the ones he didn't are pretty severe in a few cases. Noticeable drop in quality with the stuff he didn't touch, like amateur hour.

Have gone back and played through a good chunk of the game again. I can sort of see why there are people who don't like it as much, but it's so good. Just endlessly replayable for me. Went through on Nightmare and 100%ed it, and now attempting to do some Nightmare Extra Life Mode. Got 2/3 through the game and did some stupid shit and lost. I've made it most of the way through the 2nd map on Ultra-Nightmare, but I've got a long way to go yet before I can handle that. Oddly enough, I really enjoy it because the core game is just so fun and fluid.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 02:09:09 PM »
Been back at this again. This game really keeps on giving. Just when I think it wasn't my game of 2020, it comes back and is my game of 2020.

What started as an attempt to show some stuff to Kman, who was having some difficulty on his play, just turned into me using YouTube as an excuse to play the game again, haha. I also kind of wanted to get back to learning how to do some basic video editing and re-learn how YouTube works as far as framerates, resolutions, and encoding nonsense is concerned, so that made this sort of the perfect time to do it, I guess, since I'm still looking for work.

Anyway, that resulted in this:

I believe 8 videos currently available, up through Sentinel Prime, currently uploading #10, and have done a few past that. I think this has shown me that ... maybe I actually do want to try to do Ultra-Nightmare. Hmm. I think I might be able to do it eventually. My play is still pretty average, hence the series title, but with a little more work ... maybe ...

First episode is rough, as I was going through The Ancient Gods Part 1 prior to it, so going back to not having dash and air control and such made it tough. Also had some recording issues early on, which I think I've got resolved entirely now, and I've learned a fair bit about the technical details along the way. It's been a lot of fun, either way. I don't really have any desire to be a YouTuber, but knowing a bit more about the process certainly can't hurt my chances of a job later on.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, June 01, 2021, 04:38:41 AM »
DOOM Eternal is getting DLSS & RTX Support; and RDR2 & R6: Siege are getting DLSS support:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/doom-eternal/dlss-ray-tracing

DOOM Eternal - here's footage of it at 4K on the upcoming 12gb RTX 3080 Ti ($1200 card):